Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Finish recommendation for use in bathroom

I've made a low step for my wife to stand on in front of the bathroom
sink. Any recommendations as to a durable finish? The top is hard
maple.

Thanks,

--
Joe Riel

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Joe Riel" wrote:

I've made a low step for my wife to stand on in front of the
bathroom
sink. Any recommendations as to a durable finish? The top is hard
maple.

http://tinyurl.com/6pqq23

Best varnish going IMHO.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 15 Sep 2013 21:05:41 -0700, Joe Riel wrote:

I've made a low step for my wife to stand on in front of the bathroom
sink. Any recommendations as to a durable finish? The top is hard
maple.

Thanks,

Three coats of polyurethane and let it cure for a week. I used that
on the kitchen stool for my wife and it has held up for years.

My other solution is to trade in the short Italian for a 5'11" Swedish
blonde. Actually, two of them. When my wife turned 66 I told her I
can get two 33's for the same price. She is laughing now, but when it
happens. . .
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

snip
My other solution is to trade in the short Italian for a 5'11"
Swedish
blonde. Actually, two of them. When my wife turned 66 I told her I
can get two 33's for the same price. She is laughing now, but when
it
happens. . .

You mean she didn't ask you what you thought you would do with them if
you got them?

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 16 Sep 2013 05:54:10 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On Sun, 15 Sep 2013 21:05:41 -0700, Joe Riel wrote:

I've made a low step for my wife to stand on in front of the bathroom
sink. Any recommendations as to a durable finish? The top is hard
maple.

Thanks,

Three coats of polyurethane and let it cure for a week. I used that
on the kitchen stool for my wife and it has held up for years.

My other solution is to trade in the short Italian for a 5'11" Swedish
blonde. Actually, two of them. When my wife turned 66 I told her I
can get two 33's for the same price. She is laughing now, but when it
happens. . .

My uncle (Dad's older brother) was an electrician and he said when
his wife turned 40 he was going to trade her in for 2 20s, but he
found out that at 40 HE wasn't wired for 220!!

Posted to rec.woodworking

Joe Riel wrote:
I've made a low step for my wife to stand on in front of the bathroom
sink. Any recommendations as to a durable finish? The top is hard
maple.

Thanks,

I would glue some rubber tread on top. Especially in a bathroom.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to rec.woodworking

willshak writes:

Joe Riel wrote:
I've made a low step for my wife to stand on in front of the bathroom
sink. Any recommendations as to a durable finish? The top is hard
maple.

Thanks,

I would glue some rubber tread on top. Especially in a bathroom.

Yeah, I wonder about that. Should I be able to do that afterwards,
glue to a varnished surface, if it seems necessary?

--
Joe Riel
Posted to rec.woodworking

Joe Riel wrote:
willshak writes:

Joe Riel wrote:
I've made a low step for my wife to stand on in front of the bathroom
sink. Any recommendations as to a durable finish? The top is hard
maple.

Thanks,

I would glue some rubber tread on top. Especially in a bathroom.

Yeah, I wonder about that. Should I be able to do that afterwards,
glue to a varnished surface, if it seems necessary?

Yeah, just use liquid nails.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/16/2013 1:32 PM, Joe Riel wrote:
willshak writes:

Joe Riel wrote:
I've made a low step for my wife to stand on in front of the bathroom
sink. Any recommendations as to a durable finish? The top is hard
maple.

Thanks,

I would glue some rubber tread on top. Especially in a bathroom.

Yeah, I wonder about that. Should I be able to do that afterwards,
glue to a varnished surface, if it seems necessary?

Alternatively mix some "play box"coarse sand in with the varnish and
then apply to the steps.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote:

Alternatively mix some "play box"coarse sand in with the varnish
and then apply to the steps.

An old trick for putting "non-skid" on a boat deck.

Apply varnish then sprinkle sand or ground walnut shells using a salt
shaker type can.

When varnish has dried, sweep off recess.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Joe wrote:

Yeah, I wonder about that. Should I be able to do that afterwards,
glue to a varnished surface, if it seems necessary?

Use a mastic which is designed for the job.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Joe wrote:

Yeah, I wonder about that. Should I be able to do that afterwards,
glue to a varnished surface, if it seems necessary?

Use a mastic which is designed for the job.

Lew

Go to http://www.thistothat.com/index.shtml for good advice on how to
glue plastic to varnish.
mahalo,