Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Finish nailer recommendation

Looking to back burner my dewalt D51256 16 ga. straight finish nailer.
It's got to the point it needs some work (which i will probably have
done anyway) but I'm thinking I'd rather have an angled 15 or 16 ga
nailer. Cordless or pneumatic would be entertained. Mostly for nailing
up 1x material as baseboard or window trim, some lighter work such as
crown molding. Which ones do you folks have and like?

thanks
--
Steve Barker

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 13, 12:25*pm, Steve Barker wrote:

Looking to back burner my dewalt D51256 16 ga. straight finish nailer.
It's got to the point it needs some work (which i will probably have
done anyway) but I'm thinking I'd rather have an angled 15 or 16 ga
nailer. *Cordless or pneumatic would be entertained. *Mostly for nailing
up 1x material as baseboard or window trim, *some lighter work such as
crown molding. *Which ones do you folks have and like?

Paslode Trimpulse. Unless you're doing true crank-it-out production
work, it's all you'll ever need.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/13/2012 11:29 AM, RicodJour wrote:
Paslode Trimpulse

R,

thanks for the reply.

I'm not seeing the "tri" part. You talking cordless or hosed? got a link?

--
Steve Barker

Posted to rec.woodworking

I needed a nailer for installing lots of trim, but also wanted a brad
nailer for smaller projects. So I got a Bostitch combo pack that
included the SB-1664FN and SB-1850BN nailers. I have used them both a
lot more than I thought I would and they have performed flawlessly.
I learned to stick with Bostitch or Grip-Tite nails and brads because
other brands don't work as well. They're not angled, but I haven't had
a need for that so far.
It's interesting how many uses I find for these that I hadn't thought of
before.

John S.

On 07/13/2012 11:25 AM, Steve Barker wrote:
Looking to back burner my dewalt D51256 16 ga. straight finish nailer.
It's got to the point it needs some work (which i will probably have
done anyway) but I'm thinking I'd rather have an angled 15 or 16 ga
nailer. Cordless or pneumatic would be entertained. Mostly for nailing
up 1x material as baseboard or window trim, some lighter work such as
crown molding. Which ones do you folks have and like?

thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 7/13/2012 11:33 AM, Steve Barker wrote:
On 7/13/2012 11:29 AM, RicodJour wrote:
Paslode Trimpulse

R,

thanks for the reply.

I'm not seeing the "tri" part. You talking cordless or hosed? got a link?

I don't know about that name, either, I'd presume he's speaking of the
battery-powered...

http://www.paslode.com/Cordless-Nailers/16ga-angled/

Don't own one; used one some. OK, somewhat finicky on
cleanliness/maintenance ime.

The propellant packs aren't terribly expensive but will only do 1000 or
so nailings/each. That's probably not too bad for homeowner use but
will begin to add up in continuous use.

The one report I've heard that I can't verify other than word-of-mouth
from instructor of building trades at local trade school is that the
cartridge lifetime is limited if not used so if it's the case of use it
then it sits for six months or a year before again the cartridge(s) left
may be found of less than full capacity...

I've an old Bostitch that keeps on truckin'...it's hosed. Not sure what
current models are, even.

I'd ask why you would say "get it done" on repairing the one on hand,
though? There's nothing to one other than replacing the trigger kit or
the head kit, basically...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/13/2012 11:57 AM, dpb wrote:
[...]

I'm probably leaning towards a hosed model anyway. As for the dewalt,
well, 1. i never really liked that straight thing anyway, 2. They can't
fix it for a few days, and 3. I need it tomorrow. The dewalt is leaving
a hole in the wood, but not countersinking the nail. The guys at the
rental place i use say the pins get worn and they have to have theirs
fixed every so often also. And the exhaust is a pure nuisance if not
downright dangerous. It seems no matter which way you turn it, you
forget and the next thing you know it's trying to blow your eye out of
its socket. Interesting you mentioned Bostitch, i just purchased (and
have not used yet) a bostitch floor stapler. The HD guy made me a deal
after they fixed my white/red oak flooring ordeal last week.

--
Steve Barker

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/13/2012 11:57 AM, dpb wrote:
[...]

i may have misunderstood your question there at the end. Are you
suggesting that i could just fix it myself? As for the problem, i
described that in the other reply. They're talking $95 MAX to go
through it. Is the driver pin something i could do without hurting
myself? G

--
Steve Barker

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/13/2012 11:42 AM, John Shear wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the input, John. I'll be looking into the Bostitch units.

--
Steve Barker

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 7/13/2012 12:22 PM, Steve Barker wrote:

i may have misunderstood your question there at the end. Are you
suggesting that i could just fix it myself? As for the problem, i
described that in the other reply. They're talking $95 MAX to go through
it. Is the driver pin something i could do without hurting myself? G

Well, I can't speak for you, but with any modicum of mechanical aptitude
at all, I'd say "sure".

I've done many times on the wife's upholstery staplers that are much
harder on pins as well as at least once on the Bostitch framing nailer
for similar issues...the finish nailer has had nothing except one
trigger kit for the o-ring...

Ya' takes it apart, then puts it back together w/ the new pieces...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 13, 12:33*pm, Steve Barker wrote:
On 7/13/2012 11:29 AM, RicodJour wrote:

Paslode Trimpulse

R,

thanks for the reply.

I'm not seeing the "tri" part. *You talking cordless or hosed? *got a link?

Cordless.
http://www.amazon.com/Paslode-900400.../dp/B0000225I2

I do a lot of different work in a lot of different areas and work by
myself - I think you do, too, right? Setting up and breaking down
hoses and a compressor every day is a pain in the ass for me. If you
have a gofer do it for you, maybe it's not such an issue, but whether
I'm sweeping or swatting I figure I'm making the same per hour either
way, and setup/breakdown time I find annoying.

There's a little bit of maintenance to the things, same as anything
else that you want to keep in good condition. Someone mentioned the
shelf-life of the gas cartridges, and that is an issue, particularly
in cold weather. IIRC, that's not as much of an issue for you.

I've had the gun for years, so there very possibly are other choices
that are better. I won't know until this one dies and I have to start
shopping for a new one. BTW, Paslode has demo days at lumberyards and
home centers around here. At those things they often extend a very
respectable credit towards a new gun if you turn in the old one. They
gave me $100 for an _original_ Paslode Impulse gun - thing must've
been ten years old at least and was no longer working. I believe they
also offer the credit for competitors guns, so check that out before
you shell out the shekels.

Posted to rec.woodworking

BTW there is also a new type of cordless, a Senco if I remember; that
has a permenanetly charged cell, and a battery.

It doesn't require spin up time like the Dewalt cordless.
I had read about them a year or 2 ago and they received very good reviews.

No replacing butane cartridges. The cell is supposed to last many years
before needing servicing.

On 7/13/2012 3:38 PM, RicodJour wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/13/2012 11:25 AM, Steve Barker wrote:
Looking to back burner my dewalt D51256 16 ga. straight finish nailer.
It's got to the point it needs some work (which i will probably have
done anyway) but I'm thinking I'd rather have an angled 15 or 16 ga
nailer. Cordless or pneumatic would be entertained. Mostly for nailing
up 1x material as baseboard or window trim, some lighter work such as
crown molding. Which ones do you folks have and like?

thanks

In have a Senco SFN1 which I bought in 1989. I have had it rebuilt one
time and I would not trade it. It just feel right.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 13, 11:25*am, Steve Barker wrote:
Looking to back burner my dewalt D51256 16 ga. straight finish nailer.
It's got to the point it needs some work (which i will probably have
done anyway) but I'm thinking I'd rather have an angled 15 or 16 ga
nailer. *Cordless or pneumatic would be entertained. *Mostly for nailing
up 1x material as baseboard or window trim, *some lighter work such as
crown molding. *Which ones do you folks have and like?

thanks
--
Steve Barker

I have a Bostich 15 gage oil-less and a Porter Cable 18 gage and would
recommend either. The Porter Cable is about 13-14 years old, has seen
a lot of use and is starting to look kinda rough but it is still quite
reliable. The 15 gage is about four years old and has finished a
complete house plus other projects. Either would be fine in a home
shop.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 13 Jul 2012 09:29:35 -0700 (PDT), RicodJour
wrote:

Paslode Trimpulse. Unless you're doing true crank-it-out production
work, it's all you'll ever need.

Cordless is the most convenient *IF* you can handle the weight of a
cordless nail gun with its battery. Sold my DeWalt 9 lb cordless a few
months back. My arm sure is happier with a 4.5 lb Porter Cable and
quiet compressor.
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 7/13/2012 8:33 PM, Dave wrote:
On Fri, 13 Jul 2012 09:29:35 -0700 (PDT), RicodJour

Cordless is the most convenient *IF* you can handle the weight of a
cordless nail gun with its battery. Sold my DeWalt 9 lb cordless a few
months back. My arm sure is happier with a 4.5 lb Porter Cable and
quiet compressor.

The Paslode is 5 lb iirc...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 13 Jul 2012 20:55:24 -0500, dpb wrote:
The Paslode is 5 lb iirc...

Yeah, so is the 5 lbs of bills to buy it iirc.