Posted to rec.woodworking

Default SU "Trick of the day"

I taught myself this little trick today. I have already used it a second
time--so now it's a "technique" (which I like):

Put a "dimension" label on an edge of a side before you push or pull a
face, and you can watch the length of the side change "dynamically"
(i.e. as you push/pull).
I guess if you're a super-excellent SU-user (like Swingman or Leon) then
you model your lengths right the first time and won't need to do this
very often (only when you modify an existing model).

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:
I taught myself this little trick today. I have already used it a second
time--so now it's a "technique" (which I like):

Put a "dimension" label on an edge of a side before you push or pull a
face, and you can watch the length of the side change "dynamically" (i.e.
as you push/pull).
I guess if you're a super-excellent SU-user (like Swingman or Leon) then
you model your lengths right the first time and won't need to do this
very often (only when you modify an existing model).

Bill

Ah, so you have found out that dimension lines and their extensions are
associative. A very handy feature of many drawing programs.

I use dimensions mostly to confirm sizes when creating a drawing,
especially on components that must remain a specific size. I am
immediately aware if I accidentally change that dimension when editing.
And as you are now aware this is handy to confirm resizing of a component.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Edward A. Falk wrote:
In article ,
Leon wrote:
Bill wrote:

Ah, so you have found out that dimension lines and their extensions are
associative. A very handy feature of many drawing programs.

I've known that for a long time, but it never ocurred to me to use it
as a measuring tool while editing. Thanks, Bill Nospam.

Me neither, but this seems to be much quicker than performing
subtraction as I have been doing. At worst, I leave myself with an
easier subtraction problem.

Cheers,
Bill

I use dimensions mostly to confirm sizes when creating a drawing,
especially on components that must remain a specific size. I am
immediately aware if I accidentally change that dimension when editing.
And as you are now aware this is handy to confirm resizing of a component.

I just use the tape measure to confirm sizes, but using dimensions to
detect unintended changes is also clever.