Posted to rec.woodworking

Default How does he do that?

I assume the author uses a bandsaw to cut the concentric circles he

http://www.michaelmode.com/technique.html

Can't figure out how he does so without cutting an entry access to each ring. Any ideas?

Larry
Posted to rec.woodworking

Gramps' shop wrote:
I assume the author uses a bandsaw to cut the concentric circles he

http://www.michaelmode.com/technique.html

Can't figure out how he does so without cutting an entry access to each ring. Any ideas?

Larry

Drills a small hole and uses a scroll saw.

--
 GW Ross

 Weird enough for all practical
 purposes.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"G. Ross" wrote:

Drills a small hole and uses a scroll saw.

Definitely scroll saw time.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Looks like something done on a RingMaster.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/28/2013 4:36 PM, Gramps' shop wrote:
I assume the author uses a bandsaw to cut the concentric circles he

http://www.michaelmode.com/technique.html

Can't figure out how he does so without cutting an entry access to each ring. Any ideas?

Larry

Scroll saw. its fine enough that a you drill a small hole and the blade
fits in.

Surprised that this is glued up. Some of these are made collapseable.

--
Jeff

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Gramps' shop" wrote in
message

I assume the author uses a bandsaw to cut the concentric
circles he

http://www.michaelmode.com/technique.html

Can't figure out how he does so without cutting an entry
access to each ring. Any ideas?

Larry

1. No hole needed, just cut out the outside ring.

2. Cut the next ring. It was the second in, is now outside, no hole needed.

3. Keep doing #2

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to rec.woodworking

dadiOH wrote:
"Gramps' shop" wrote in
message

I assume the author uses a bandsaw to cut the concentric
circles he

http://www.michaelmode.com/technique.html

Can't figure out how he does so without cutting an entry
access to each ring. Any ideas?

Larry

1. No hole needed, just cut out the outside ring.

2. Cut the next ring. It was the second in, is now outside, no hole needed.

3. Keep doing #2

Do you want to rethink that?

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to rec.woodworking

see the center hole in the second slide? that is to clamp glued up board to the arbor. angled blade brought into the spinning work and cuts through. remove outer ring , reposition blade, and cut next ring. Other tools/methods may work but I know a RingMaster can do this. I see these guys sometimes at craft fairs.
Posted to rec.woodworking

G. Ross wrote:
Gramps' shop wrote:
I assume the author uses a bandsaw to cut the concentric circles he

http://www.michaelmode.com/technique.html

Can't figure out how he does so without cutting an entry access to each ring. Any ideas?

Larry

Drills a small hole and uses a scroll saw.

The table is angled for sawing, otherwise the rings would not stack
up. Forgot to mention this.

--
 GW Ross

 Weird enough for all practical
 purposes.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
eb.com...

"G. Ross" wrote:

Drills a small hole and uses a scroll saw.

Definitely scroll saw time.

I've seen cuts started with jig saws by tilting the saw forward and
letting the blade eat into the wood.

Dave in Texas

Posted to rec.woodworking

"willshak" wrote in message

dadiOH wrote:
"Gramps' shop" wrote in
message

I assume the author uses a bandsaw to cut the
concentric circles he

http://www.michaelmode.com/technique.html

Can't figure out how he does so without cutting an
entry access to each ring. Any ideas?

Larry

1. No hole needed, just cut out the outside ring.

2. Cut the next ring. It was the second in, is now
outside, no hole needed. 3. Keep doing #2

Do you want to rethink that?

Why?

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
Gramps' shop wrote:
I assume the author uses a bandsaw to cut the concentric circles he

http://www.michaelmode.com/technique.html

Can't figure out how he does so without cutting an entry access to each
ring. Any ideas?

Larry

Could be done on a scroll saw (drill a small hole first & thread the
blade through it) or with some custom hole saws. Could also cut access for
band saw at one of the joints between dark & light wood, then reglue.

Posted to rec.woodworking

dadiOH wrote:
"willshak" wrote in message

dadiOH wrote:
"Gramps' shop" wrote in
message

I assume the author uses a bandsaw to cut the
concentric circles he

http://www.michaelmode.com/technique.html

Can't figure out how he does so without cutting an
entry access to each ring. Any ideas?

Larry
1. No hole needed, just cut out the outside ring.

2. Cut the next ring. It was the second in, is now
outside, no hole needed. 3. Keep doing #2

Do you want to rethink that?

Why?

When you cut the outside edge of the outside ring, how do you get the
saw inside the outside ring to cut the next smaller ring without cutting
into the outside ring?

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to rec.woodworking

willshak wrote:
dadiOH wrote:
"willshak" wrote in message

dadiOH wrote:
"Gramps' shop" wrote in
message

I assume the author uses a bandsaw to cut the
concentric circles he

http://www.michaelmode.com/technique.html

Can't figure out how he does so without cutting an
entry access to each ring. Any ideas?

Larry
1. No hole needed, just cut out the outside ring.

2. Cut the next ring. It was the second in, is now
outside, no hole needed. 3. Keep doing #2

Do you want to rethink that?

Why?

When you cut the outside edge of the outside ring, how do you get the
saw inside the outside ring to cut the next smaller ring without cutting
into the outside ring?

OK. We were diverted into the use of a band or jig saw. No one mentioned
a lathe, not even you until BillinGA mentioned a Ringmaster.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2n4uY9oJ-tA

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to rec.woodworking

Scroll saw is the only practical method. I have made a few of them.
Some pictures of finished product and how it is done can be seen at:

http://ray80538.home.comcast.net/~ra...l/segbowl.html

On Wed, 28 Aug 2013 13:36:28 -0700 (PDT), "Gramps' shop"
wrote:

I assume the author uses a bandsaw to cut the concentric circles he

http://www.michaelmode.com/technique.html

Can't figure out how he does so without cutting an entry access to each ring. Any ideas?

Larry

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/29/2013 10:23 AM, willshak wrote:

OK. We were diverted into the use of a band or jig saw. No one mentioned
a lathe, not even you until BillinGA mentioned a Ringmaster.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2n4uY9oJ-tA

The Ringmaster is the way to do the segmented bowls in my opinion.

I saw one in action in a local woodworker show and I was stunned at
what the guy could crank out in just a few minutes.

After you have made a few hundred bowls, I'm not sure where you go
after that....but you can really crank out bowls with that tool.

An interesting side fact was that the RingMaster "was" made in a
plant in Wilmington, NC that built Porta-Nail floor nailers.

That plant closed a few years back and I don't know where the
RingMaster went....

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Gramps' shop" wrote in news:74ed0542-d2d9-493b-9fb9-
:

I assume the author uses a bandsaw to cut the concentric circles he

http://www.michaelmode.com/technique.html

Can't figure out how he does so without cutting an entry access to each ring. Any ideas?

Think scrollsaw instead of bandsaw.