Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Casing doors

I was just reading this article about casing doors (not that I needed to
read it of course...just because I was curious).

http://www.thisiscarpentry.com/2012/...-doors-part-3/

My door is about 7' high, the molding is 2" wide and 1.25" thick.

My strategy was that I would fit and mark the moldings to size, cut
them with a hand miter saw I have, and nail it up. Since I'm not
nailing through drywall, I figured 2.5" finish nails would be
appropriate. If 2" finish nails would be suitable, I happen to have
those on hand (please comment).

I was even planning to go through the extra effort of priming the ends,
before I nailed it up.

This isn't adequate for the fellow who wrote the article. He wants to
tack it down, and then glue his molding using "spring clamps" which I
have never seen before, and then go back and nail it down. Hell, I
think I'll be wrestling the molding to the wall (as I bend around two of
my drywall seems! : )

I do like his idea of using a "spacer" tool, to make the reveal
perfectly uniform. I would not have thought of that, and I can improvise
that.

I wanted to share these words in case anyone is willing to comment on
anything. I intend to go buy the molding tomorrow morning. The stuff I
ripped down 3 years ago seemed ratty at the time (and was put up by
someone even less ambitious than I am!) I guess that partially
addresses my concerns. I suppose there are lots of ways to address most
any project. Whatever I do, it will be better than it was!
: )

The fellow in the article even blunted or cut off the ends of the nails
to keep from splitting the wood. Is that a technique you use? To my
intuition, it seems like it might make more sense for much thinner molding.

Cheers,
Bill