Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_47_] Bill[_47_] is offline

Default Casing doors

wrote:
For inside use if I am hand nailing, I drill pilot holes for the jamb
side and use 4d finish. For the wall side, I use 8d finish. But this
is for 1/2" thick trim. Your instance will be different. Put your
nails on the jamb side about 10" apart on a shimmed door, and about
14" on the wall side.

That's just what I need to do. I had not planned to use "2 columns" of
nails. %-) Surely you must drill pilot holes for the 8d finish nails
too, then, right? Right through the drywall I suppose.

Thanks once again for a very helpful lesson!

Bill

On non shimmed doors (I don't shim doors 24" or less) then tighten up
those measurements by 2" each side. Take your time when installing
your casing. On a proper door installation, the casing is an
important, integral part of the door structure. The installation of
the casing completes a "box", which will hold the jamb true and help
prevent the torque created from use from pulling the door out of
adjustment. I don't use as many nails as that guy you referenced does
since I usually shim most doors, but I am particularly careful to put
nails on either sides of the hinges on both sides of the casing, and
strike side gets the same treatment as well. Robert