Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Japanese saw with improved grip

Has anyone modified a Japanese saw to improve the grip? I normally wear
gloves with a rubber coating when sawing, otherwise the wrapping is too
slippery and my hand gets tired. It's one of the downsides of a pull
saw (and, I suppose, an occupation involving mainly typing). I recently
injured the thumb of my right hand and was having a bit of difficulty
when finishing the cut with one hand. Am thinking an added knob near
the end might help. Thoughts?

--
Joe Riel

Posted to rec.woodworking

Joe Riel wrote in :

Has anyone modified a Japanese saw to improve the grip? I normally
wear gloves with a rubber coating when sawing, otherwise the wrapping
is too slippery and my hand gets tired. It's one of the downsides of
a pull saw (and, I suppose, an occupation involving mainly typing). I
recently injured the thumb of my right hand and was having a bit of
difficulty when finishing the cut with one hand. Am thinking an added
knob near the end might help. Thoughts?

I'd try wrapping the handle with a bit of white cloth tape. (Other
colors will probably work, I keep white tape around for the top of my
hockey sticks.) If you need a knob at the end, you can wrap the tape
around several times to form the knob or twist the tape as you're
wrapping it to build up thickness faster.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 22 Jul 2013 13:16:51 -0700, Joe Riel wrote:
Has anyone modified a Japanese saw to improve the grip?

You might consider a high friction tape.
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...at=1,130,43332
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...10,43466,32184

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/22/2013 5:48 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
Joe Riel wrote in :

Has anyone modified a Japanese saw to improve the grip?

I'd try wrapping the handle with a bit of white cloth tape. (Other
colors will probably work, I keep white tape around for the top of my
hockey sticks.) If you need a knob at the end, you can wrap the tape
around several times to form the knob or twist the tape as you're
wrapping it to build up thickness faster.

Puckdropper

I don't know if this would help, but I bought some tennis racket grip
material years ago to make the (poorly-designed) handle on a speaker
cabinet more comfortable. In the bargain, I found that it was a lot
easier to keep a firm grip on it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/22/2013 10:03 PM, Joe Riel wrote:
writes:

On Mon, 22 Jul 2013 13:16:51 -0700, Joe Riel wrote:
Has anyone modified a Japanese saw to improve the grip?

You might consider a high friction tape.
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...at=1,130,43332
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...10,43466,32184

Thanks. That second one is expensive: $4.50 for a 1"x12" strip.

Not if it fits the bill.

My light used to wander on my band saw... this tape stopped that. It was
a strong enough magnet, but since it is sliding it would not hold.

I bought extra figuring there'll be more uses.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, July 22, 2013 1:16:51 PM UTC-7, Joe Riel wrote:
Has anyone modified a Japanese saw to improve the grip?

The proper grip technique for a Japanese saw is with your pointing finger over the top of the blade. This will reduce slipping of your grip, help with guidance and also adds some slight down pressure farther down the blade which smooths the cutting process.

I would think you wouldn't need any additional grip assistance or you may be working the saw too hard.