Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Bench progress II

Construction is complete. For the base, used dominoes for alignment augmented by lag bolts. Used Forstner bit for the dog holes. Much faster than i presumed. Need to sand to 150 and mount the vises. Will finish with 3 or 4 coats of Watco clear, unless y'all convince to go with BLO or something else.

One surprise (and I am blushing as I write this): the reclaimed cherry I thought I was working with turns out to be walnut. I've gotta get a handle on identifying wood species.

Larry
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Gramp's shop" wrote:

Construction is complete. For the base, used dominoes for alignment
augmented by lag bolts. Used Forstner bit for the dog holes. Much
faster than i presumed. Need to sand to 150 and mount the vises.
Will finish with 3 or 4 coats of Watco clear, unless y'all convince to
go with BLO or something else.

One surprise (and I am blushing as I write this): the reclaimed cherry
I thought I was working with turns out to be walnut. I've gotta get a
handle on identifying wood species.
If it truly is walnut, then orange shellac as I remember.

Try a test piece.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/13/2013 10:34 AM, woodchucker wrote:

I used tried and true on my maple bench

I hate to be ignorant, but, "tried and true" ... what?

Bench progress Gramp's shop[_2_] Woodworking 12 June 28th 13 06:40 PM
Wood prepped for second half of bench top - Bitsa Bench Mike Richardson Woodworking Plans and Photos 0 June 24th 07 05:22 AM
bench progress Joe Woodworking 0 December 12th 06 05:43 PM
Das Lathe Bench Progress - Poly Over Garnet - and Padouk charlie b Woodworking 2 March 5th 06 03:23 AM
Das Lathe Bench Progress -Poly Over Garnet - and Padouk charlie b Woodturning 1 March 4th 06 10:29 PM