Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Hole cutter, reversible to make toy wheels?

I can use a hole cutter, hopefully to cut through hardwood. But
regular wood might work. There will be no hurry to make the cuts.
Accuracy is important.

The outer diameter of the wooden wheels will be about 1 inch. The
center hole will be 1/4" to 5/16".

Hopefully I can make both cuts while the wood is gripped firmly in
place, simultaneously or one at a time.

Thanks.

--
Shopping is no problem, but if you all can give me a
recommendation please. Or other suggestions.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Correction...

Maybe I should have said "circle cutter".

Maybe a "circle cutter attachment" is what I'm looking for.

But I need to make the inner hole accurate with the outer wheel cut.

I guess this isn't rocket science, but I want a decent one.

Thanks.
Posted to rec.woodworking

John Doe writes:
Correction...

Maybe I should have said "circle cutter".

Maybe a "circle cutter attachment" is what I'm looking for.

But I need to make the inner hole accurate with the outer wheel cut.

I guess this isn't rocket science, but I want a decent one.

Thanks.

Try a 1" hole saw with a 1/4" pilot bit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

John Doe wrote:
Correction...

Maybe I should have said "circle cutter".

Maybe a "circle cutter attachment" is what I'm looking for.

But I need to make the inner hole accurate with the outer wheel cut.

I guess this isn't rocket science, but I want a decent one.

Thanks.

I use a hole saw with a protruding drill bit center, in a drill press.
To avoid tearout, cut half way through (making sure the drill bit
drills all the way through) then flip over and with the drill hole as
a guide cut from that side.

--
 GW Ross

 Let he who takes the plunge remember
 to return it!

Posted to rec.woodworking

I can use a hole cutter, hopefully to cut through hardwood. But
regular wood might work. There will be no hurry to make the cuts.
Accuracy is important.

The outer diameter of the wooden wheels will be about 1 inch. The
center hole will be 1/4" to 5/16".

Hopefully I can make both cuts while the wood is gripped firmly in
place, simultaneously or one at a time.

Thanks.

Home-made is better ... but ..
Depending on what type you want ; and how many ..
15 - 20 cents apiece ..
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...at=1,250,43236

John T.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I can use a hole cutter, hopefully to cut through hardwood. But
regular wood might work. There will be no hurry to make the cuts.
Accuracy is important.

The outer diameter of the wooden wheels will be about 1 inch. The
center hole will be 1/4" to 5/16".

Hopefully I can make both cuts while the wood is gripped firmly in
place, simultaneously or one at a time.

Thanks.

Buy a 1" dowel, center drill 1/4" to 5/16" hole as req'd for a set of
wheels then cross cut as req'd for individual wheels.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
John Doe wrote:
I can use a hole cutter, hopefully to cut through hardwood. But
regular wood might work. There will be no hurry to make the cuts.
Accuracy is important.

The outer diameter of the wooden wheels will be about 1 inch. The
center hole will be 1/4" to 5/16".

Hopefully I can make both cuts while the wood is gripped firmly in
place, simultaneously or one at a time.

Thanks.

I'm not sure if you are asking a question but if so, perhaps this is an
answer:

http://www.harborfreight.com/carbide...ter-69063.html

plausible, and wrong." (H L Mencken)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" sails.man1 verizon.net wrote:

Buy a 1" dowel, center drill 1/4" to 5/16" hole as req'd for a
set of wheels then cross cut as req'd for individual wheels.

No doubt that will work for some people, but in my specific
situation... The outer diameter is specific. When I say "about 1
inch", that means I don't know ahead of time what it must be.
Posted to rec.woodworking

How about...

Some drill bit with a perpendicular (preferably thin) base.

Glue a piece of wood to the base.

Rotate the thing and cut a 1 inch hole into it for holding the dowel.

Spade bits won't center very well, though, for cutting the 1 inch
hole.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, July 1, 2013 5:05:50 PM UTC-4, John Doe wrote:
I can use a hole cutter, hopefully to cut through hardwood. But

regular wood might work. There will be no hurry to make the cuts.

Accuracy is important.

So, drill the center hole then instead of a hole saw with
a pilot drill, fit a hole saw with a pilot dowel. The dowel will
make a more stable center than a twist drill.

Posted to rec.woodworking

whit3rd wrote:
On Monday, July 1, 2013 5:05:50 PM UTC-4, John Doe wrote:
I can use a hole cutter, hopefully to cut through hardwood. But

regular wood might work. There will be no hurry to make the cuts.

Accuracy is important.

So, drill the center hole then instead of a hole saw with
a pilot drill, fit a hole saw with a pilot dowel. The dowel will
make a more stable center than a twist drill.

Although bigger you can probably get something like this over there and
cheaper.
http://www.apworkshop.com.au/html_ca...l/35N-twc.html
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/1/2013 2:22 PM, John Doe wrote:
Correction...

Maybe I should have said "circle cutter".

Maybe a "circle cutter attachment" is what I'm looking for.

But I need to make the inner hole accurate with the outer wheel cut.

I guess this isn't rocket science, but I want a decent one.

Thanks.

In the past, I have made wheels by cutting them out using a circle
cutter or hole saw. Next you insert a carriage bolt in the center hole
and a washer/nut on the other side. Chuck the bolt into your drill
press and apply a rasp or sand paper to make the desired shape. Note
that the carriage bolt will leave a mark on the wheel but will keep it
from spinning on the bolt. Use as large a washer as practicable to
minimize marking the "good" side. For those of use who are somewhat
lathe challenged, this works fairly well.
mahalo,
jo4hn

Adjustable hole cutter fred UK diy 12 April 25th 13 10:00 PM
I've found this hole cutter The3rd Earl Of Derby UK diy 6 September 8th 06 10:57 AM
Hole Cutter? Gunner Metalworking 26 April 29th 06 02:18 AM
Adjustable hole saw/circle cutter Norm Dresner Metalworking 3 January 6th 06 08:21 PM
Hole cutter for plastic tank - cheap? Egremont UK diy 19 June 16th 05 03:44 PM