Posted to rec.woodworking

Default "Bridge" Building

I posted recently that my oft-delayed bookcase project was done. It's two mirror-image pseudo built-in units. From the moment I did the first CAD drawing, I guessed I'd eventually install a "bridge" between the two units, like this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguari...57632376881493

Even though I haven't got the time to start that project at the moment, I'm letting it percolate in my brain. A question has bubbled up. My first thought was to assemble it with dado joints, like this

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguari...57632376881493

[note: face frame not shown]

I intend to double up the bottom of the unit with two layers of 3/4" ply. This is so the face frame won't either overhang the bottom of the unit or create a "lip" inside.

But that second layer of ply gave me an idea; since none of the four sides of the basic box will ever be seen, I could build the basic unit with screws instead, like this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguari...7632376881493/

Once I attach the extra bottom layer, the screws in the bottom of the basic box would be obscured as well.

I haven't decided yet. The "screw" method saves me the work of making the dadoes, but the dadoes would make it really easy to line up the parts for assembly, if nothing else.

Thoughts?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Greg Guarino wrote:
[...]

I have two thoughts.

1. Why do you not want the face frame to hang below the shelf? Much easier
to line stuff up with a bit of jiggle room and some hanging down hurts
nothing. Even with two layers of ply, it is still hanging down from the
shelf, just backed up with another layer of ply.

If you feel you need more meat to fasten the FF to (you don't), save some
money and weight and use a 3/4 x 3/4 strip. Personally, I wouldn't do
either...getting one edge with both flush is a nuisance, two edges is a
PITA.

2. I wouldn't bother with a bridge. I'd hang up something either pretty or
erotic, preferably something combining both.

I wouldn't do a bridge because the additional space is minimal, you seem to
have plenty already. If I were going to do it I'd put a downlight in it to
light the KB area. YMMV.

--

dadiOH

Posted to rec.woodworking

Greg Guarino wrote:
[...]

Dado's will naturally be stronger, no further worry of strength. And
speaking of which, some thing to consider. I have build several pieces
with a bridge. I let the tops of the bridge extend past it's sides so that
the bridge actually hands from the tops of both sides cabinets.
Additionally the bridge face frames set in front of the side cabinet face
frames which hides any gap between the bridge and the side cabinets.