Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Drum sanding service in Socal?

I am making some pretty large end grain butcherblock tables (22 x 28). Somebody told me that there used to be a guy who had a giant drum sander that he would charge by the minute or pass or something. Does anyone know whether a service like this still exists? Thank you.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 18 Jun 2013 11:52:50 -0700, tutsch wrote:

I am making some pretty large end grain butcherblock tables (22 x 28).
Somebody told me that there used to be a guy who had a giant drum sander
that he would charge by the minute or pass or something. Does anyone
know whether a service like this still exists? Thank you.

I don't know if such a service exists. Have you check with the local
shops to see if they can handle the job and how much.

Paul T.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I am making some pretty large end grain butcherblock tables (22 x
28). Somebody told me that there used to be a guy who had a giant
drum sander that he would charge by the minute or pass or something.
Does anyone know whether a service like this still exists? Thank
you.

Grimminger Drum Sanding (Steve)
15540 Illinois Av
Paramount, CA
1-562-531-1028

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

The Grimminger number is disconnected. Anyone know of new contact information?
Posted to rec.woodworking

The number that comes up in those hundred thousand search results is disconnected. That is my problem and why I posted here to begin with.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Roy Roy is offline

On Thu, 20 Jun 2013 13:14:27 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

The number that comes up in those hundred thousand search results is disconnected. That is my problem and why I posted here to begin with.

I'd think you're SOL. If the phone number on the web, whitepages and fb is
invalid, and you can't get a number from your phone company, they probably no
longer exist.

White pages search for home phones. No business found.
http://www.whitepages.com/name/Grimminger/California

This one is an obit, which might explain why the number doesn't work:
http://www.tributes.com/show/Carl-Ja...inger-90782196

Check with local cabinet shops? Even if they have gone under, I'd expect some
shop would pick up the business.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Roy" wrote:

This one is an obit, which might explain why the number doesn't
work:
http://www.tributes.com/show/Carl-Ja...inger-90782196

Might be a cousin.

Mountain View, CA is near San Franscisco, about 300 miles north of
here.

Steve is also younger than 1930 DOB.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Roy" wrote:

Check with local cabinet shops? Even if they have gone under, I'd
expect some
shop would pick up the business.

A check of the LA Times obits shows a listing for:

Steven Grimminger
Lakewood, CA

Lakewood is next door to Paramount, CA where the business was located.

Not willing to pay for added info.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, June 18, 2013 11:52:50 AM UTC-7, wrote:
I am making some pretty large end grain butcherblock tables (22 x 28). Somebody told me that there used to be a guy who had a giant drum sander that he would charge by the minute or pass or something. Does anyone know whether a service like this still exists? Thank you.

Were you ever able to find someone to help you with this?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, June 18, 2013 11:52:50 AM UTC-7, wrote:
I am making some pretty large end grain butcherblock tables (22 x 28). Somebody told me that there used to be a guy who had a giant drum sander that he would charge by the minute or pass or something. Does anyone know whether a service like this still exists? Thank you.

Would love to know if you found anyone. Steve was the only source we knew of besides Whites. There has to be a source somewhere.......all cabinet makers still using the face frame method need a drum sander. Maybe there weren't enough of us left to make it worth Steves while. Post if you found someone....please.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
I am making some pretty large end grain butcherblock tables (22 x
28). Somebody told me that there used to be a guy who had a giant
drum sander that he would charge by the minute or pass or something.
Does anyone know whether a service like this still exists? Thank
you.

Would love to know if you found anyone. Steve was the only source we
knew of besides Whites. There has to be a source somewhere.......all
cabinet makers still using the face frame method need a drum sander.
Maybe there weren't enough of us left to make it worth Steves while.
Post if you found someone....please.
Grimminger was the only one I used and he is gone.

Might try the major lumber yards like Jones or Ganahl.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, June 18, 2013 at 11:52:50 AM UTC-7, wrote:
I am making some pretty large end grain butcherblock tables (22 x 28). Somebody told me that there used to be a guy who had a giant drum sander that he would charge by the minute or pass or something. Does anyone know whether a service like this still exists? Thank you.

Grimminger sold out last year. New owner is running sander, same address.
15540 Illinois Av
Paramount, CA
looking for his card and will post as soon as I find it.
JRS
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Grimminger sold out last year. New owner is running sander, same
address.
15540 Illinois Av
Paramount, CA
looking for his card and will post as soon as I find it.
JRS
Last I knew, Grimminger was dead and business is gone.

Lew