Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Good for a laugh!

Try not to spray your screen at about 5:42 into the video.

I wonder if he has yet noticed that his results are an inherent result
of using the work bench surface for indexing the plate joiner?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=W2eiT6dbR4k#!

And finally, show that guy a band clamp!
Posted to rec.woodworking

I wonder if he has yet noticed that his results are an inherent result
of using the work bench surface for *indexing the plate joiner?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=W2eiT6dbR4k#!

And finally, show that guy a band clamp!

That's Hank Metz ... He used to participate this group a long time
ago. I wonder what's happen to him.

Also, these videos are ancient - Plate joiners were fairly new then.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/1/2013 1:51 PM, wrote:

I wonder if he has yet noticed that his results are an inherent result
of using the work bench surface for indexing the plate joiner?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=W2eiT6dbR4k#!

And finally, show that guy a band clamp!

That's Hank Metz ... He used to participate this group a long time
ago. I wonder what's happen to him.

I don't recall was that before the late 90's?

Also, these videos are ancient - Plate joiners were fairly new then.

Apparently that video was updated on 2010. I bought my first plate
joiner in 1990, the only ones that I could find was either the
relatively expensive Lamello and the PC 556 belt driven plate joiner. I
bought the belt driven PC. Ryobi IIRC was next to come out with one and
then all the others followed.

Regardless of age, the technique was totally wrong which resulted in the
joint between the bottom rail and stile being off by a what appears
1/16". The biggest problems with the early plate joiners was setting
the fence depth. He left his off and instead of indexing off of the
fence depth stop used the bottom of the joiner against the bench
surface. IIRC it was the PC 557 and or the DeWalt that first addressed
that issue so that the fence could be used more accurately.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

On 6/1/2013 1:51 PM, wrote:

[...]

The biscuit joiner is one of those tools that I wish I had just saved the
money. Good for reinforcing miter joints but little else. And yes, using the
fence is the better way to go.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I wonder if he has yet noticed that his results are an inherent result
of using the work bench surface for*indexing the plate joiner?

Actually, I've successfully indexed off the bottom rather than the
fence by placing the joiner and work on a large, flat piece of MDF.
This also allows me to offset a joint (as in making a reveal with an
apron joined to a leg) by using flat "shims" or spacers under the
joiner without changing any of the settings.

I also used this technique with my Festool Domino.

Posted to rec.woodworking

" wrote:
I wonder if he has yet noticed that his results are an inherent result
of using the work bench surface for indexing the plate joiner?

Actually, I've successfully indexed off the bottom rather than the
fence by placing the joiner and work on a large, flat piece of MDF.
This also allows me to offset a joint (as in making a reveal with an
apron joined to a leg) by using flat "shims" or spacers under the
joiner without changing any of the settings.

I also used this technique with my Festool Domino.

Absolutely doable but more prone to error if there is any debris under
either the joiner or the work. Or if the work is not perfectly flat. It is
just not the best way to index.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry W wrote:
In article ,
wrote:

I wonder if he has yet noticed that his results are an inherent result
of using the work bench surface for indexing the plate joiner?

Actually, I've successfully indexed off the bottom rather than the
fence by placing the joiner and work on a large, flat piece of MDF.
This also allows me to offset a joint (as in making a reveal with an
apron joined to a leg) by using flat "shims" or spacers under the
joiner without changing any of the settings.

You can also easily produce those offsets by placing the shims between the
work and the joiner fence depth stop also.

I also used this technique with my Festool Domino.

I have probably cut seven to eight thousand mortises with my Domino, on my
third case of replacement tenons. I have not yet indexed off the bottom of
the joiner, I quite doing that when I upgraded my PC 556 plate joiner to
the PC 557 plate joiner. The whole purpose of the fence depth stop is so
that you don't have to use the bottom of the tool as the reference.

I use my workbench all probably 85-90% of the time to index against my
plate joiner & workpiece and never have had any issues. In fact I have
a few fixtures and clamps made specially to assist in holding and aligning
the work while I cut the slots. What is the problem with using the work
surface if it's flat & the work is flat too?
problem supposed to be?

And just as a follow up, you should easily see the problem with indexing
off the work surface in the video. The joints were not properly aligned.
Too many possibilities for alignment problems , use the fence depth stop
and you reduce the possibility of face misalignment.

Because the face is placed down on the work surface you have to lay out the
frame backwards and upside down to make your index marks. If you use the
fence depth stop you can lay everything out as it is going to appear when
assembled before placing the marks. I greatly reduced marking errors and
reduced alignment problems when I quit using the work surface for indexing.

OT - Good for a laugh DrTeeth UK diy 12 February 11th 13 11:10 AM
So Which Accent Will Presidunce Hussein Assume For The DebateTonight? Laugh..laugh..laugh.. mkr5000 Metalworking 0 October 3rd 12 02:26 PM
You know how Sarah Palin said Paul Revere warned the British?Well, he did. Now, who looks stupid? Laugh..laugh..laugh... David R. Birch Metalworking 3 June 15th 11 03:03 AM
Need a good laugh? iplaypkr Woodworking 0 July 23rd 05 09:05 PM