Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Rockler FX router lift

Any of you folks have this lift:

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...FRJp7AodwxgAbA

Seems like a decent price for a lift when compared to others that are roughly twice as much. Looking to avoid the penny-wiuse, pound-foolish syndrome if this lift is a dog.

Larry
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, May 16, 2013 7:55:23 AM UTC-7, Gramp's shop wrote:
Any of you folks have this lift:

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...FRJp7AodwxgAbA

Seems like a decent price for a lift when compared to others that are roughly twice as much. Looking to avoid the penny-wiuse, pound-foolish syndrome if this lift is a dog.

Larry

Not familiar personally but looking at the screw drive it seems they avoid one problem of some lifts. They use fairly coarse threads for the elevation rod. Some systems use very fine threads (ie Incra), I suppose to support fine adjustment but fine threads get easily fouled with sawdust. I've learned over the years, those with coarser threads don't seem to have this issue.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/16/2013 7:55 AM, Gramp's shop wrote:
Any of you folks have this lift:

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...FRJp7AodwxgAbA

Seems like a decent price for a lift when compared to others that are roughly twice as much. Looking to avoid the penny-wiuse, pound-foolish syndrome if this lift is a dog.

Larry

I have the Jessem but that the Rockler version looks pretty good but
notice that it only supports limited set of "smaller" routers not the
big 3HP production routers. If you can live with that, it looks to be
fine.

It will depend on what you have and where you want to be.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/16/2013 1:39 PM, Pat Barber wrote:
On 5/16/2013 7:55 AM, Gramp's shop wrote:
Any of you folks have this lift:

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...FRJp7AodwxgAbA

Seems like a decent price for a lift when compared to others that are
roughly twice as much. Looking to avoid the penny-wiuse,
pound-foolish syndrome if this lift is a dog.

Larry

I have the Jessem but that the Rockler version looks pretty good but
notice that it only supports limited set of "smaller" routers not the
big 3HP production routers. If you can live with that, it looks to be
fine.

It will depend on what you have and where you want to be.

I got the Rockler lift about a month ago - haven't used it a lot yet,
but so far it works quite well. I have the PC 690, which fits very nicely.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, May 16, 2013 5:19:30 PM UTC-5, Matt wrote:
On 5/16/2013 1:39 PM, Pat Barber wrote:

On 5/16/2013 7:55 AM, Gramp's shop wrote:

Any of you folks have this lift:

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...FRJp7AodwxgAbA

Seems like a decent price for a lift when compared to others that are

roughly twice as much. Looking to avoid the penny-wiuse,

pound-foolish syndrome if this lift is a dog.

Larry

I have the Jessem but that the Rockler version looks pretty good but

notice that it only supports limited set of "smaller" routers not the

big 3HP production routers. If you can live with that, it looks to be

fine.

It will depend on what you have and where you want to be.

I got the Rockler lift about a month ago - haven't used it a lot yet,

but so far it works quite well. I have the PC 690, which fits very nicely..

I decided to go for it as my existing table router is a PC690. Of course, the plate is smaller than my existing plate ... so I need build a new top. The last one was melamine over 3/4 MDF available on the cheap from Menards.. I took a peek at Woodcraft for the phenolic plywood, but that's $60 or about 10x what I'd pay for the MDF. Any reason to go the extra mile? Also, won't feel too bad about mucking up the MDF when I rout an insert for the plate. I'm shooting for a nice tight fit this time.

Larry

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/16/2013 6:32 PM, Gramp's shop wrote:
[...]

my opinion Larry,
get 2 pieces of mdf from the shorts at HD.
get a piece of formica, glue
put the two pieces together, then skin with formica on both sides
you'll have a nice stout table top.

I personally would not put a slot for a miter gauge
I never use it. I just use the fence and a squared piece of wood to back
it up... or a jig to hold for raised panels...

my opinion... not necessary, but as long as you are going for a lift
make it sturdy.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/16/2013 6:20 PM, woodchucker wrote:
[...]

The slot Is not necessarily for a miter gauge, I use it to anchor
feather boards when running narrow stock through.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Gramp's shop" wrote:
I decided to go for it as my existing table router is a PC690.
As long as you can live with a 1" bit dia. limitation, you are good to
go.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/16/2013 8:15 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
"Gramp's shop" wrote:
I decided to go for it as my existing table router is a PC690.
As long as you can live with a 1" bit dia. limitation, you are good to
go.

Lew

Where do you get that limitation?
it's got a 1.5 ring.. but you can go sans the ring, or buy another and
open it up..
I didn't see a 1" limitation.

--
Jeff