Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Maple Lamps

Video:
http://www.garagewoodworks.com/video.php?video=79

I'm looking for suggestions on how to attach the solid maple bottom and top.. I was thinking of using a solid bottom and glueing on a ledger to my lamp interior and drive a screw through the center of the bottom into the ledger. I don't want screws or glue on perimeter out of fear of expansion blowing apart the base. Ideas?

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message

I'm looking for suggestions on how to attach the solid maple bottom and
top. I was thinking of using a solid bottom and glueing on a ledger to my
lamp interior and drive a screw through the center of the bottom into the
ledger. I don't want screws or glue on perimeter out of fear of expansion
blowing apart the base. Ideas?

It looks like the interior is large enough to get your hand in so perhaps
either "figure 8" plates
http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/f...enerspk12.aspx or
blocks in grooves in the rails and screwed into the top would work...
similar to attaching a table top.

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, March 29, 2013 12:04:19 PM UTC-4, John Grossbohlin wrote:
wrote in message

I'm looking for suggestions on how to attach the solid maple bottom and

top. I was thinking of using a solid bottom and glueing on a ledger to my

lamp interior and drive a screw through the center of the bottom into the

ledger. I don't want screws or glue on perimeter out of fear of expansion

blowing apart the base. Ideas?

It looks like the interior is large enough to get your hand in so perhaps

either "figure 8" plates

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/f...enerspk12.aspx or

blocks in grooves in the rails and screwed into the top would work...

similar to attaching a table top.

John

That is a good suggestion, but it would only work for the top or the bottom and not both. Once you attach one or the other you can't get in there anymore.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message

I'm looking for suggestions on how to attach the solid maple bottom and

top. I was thinking of using a solid bottom and glueing on a ledger to my

lamp interior and drive a screw through the center of the bottom into the

ledger. I don't want screws or glue on perimeter out of fear of expansion

blowing apart the base. Ideas?

It looks like the interior is large enough to get your hand in so perhaps

either "figure 8" plates

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/f...enerspk12.aspx or

blocks in grooves in the rails and screwed into the top would work...

similar to attaching a table top.

John

That is a good suggestion, but it would only work for the top or the bottom and not both. Once you attach one or the other you can't get in there anymore.

But you only really need a solution for the top. The bottom can use a
ledger and screw as you suggested.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, March 29, 2013 8:41:13 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Video:

http://www.garagewoodworks.com/video.php?video=79

I'm looking for suggestions on how to attach the solid maple bottom and top. I was thinking of using a solid bottom and glueing on a ledger to my lamp interior and drive a screw through the center of the bottom into the ledger. I don't want screws or glue on perimeter out of fear of expansion blowing apart the base. Ideas?

Video link seems broken

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, March 29, 2013 1:32:40 PM UTC-4, SonomaProducts.com wrote:
On Friday, March 29, 2013 8:41:13 AM UTC-7, wrote:

Video:

http://www.garagewoodworks.com/video.php?video=79

I'm looking for suggestions on how to attach the solid maple bottom and top. I was thinking of using a solid bottom and glueing on a ledger to my lamp interior and drive a screw through the center of the bottom into the ledger. I don't want screws or glue on perimeter out of fear of expansion blowing apart the base. Ideas?

Video link seems broken

Sorry. My site is down temporarily. See below:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmCGGDmFLHI
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message

That is a good suggestion, but it would only work for the top or the bottom
and not both. Once you attach one or the other you can't get in there
anymore.

Duh! LOL I guess you could leave the center of the base open. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"SonomaProducts.com" writes:
On Friday, March 29, 2013 8:41:13 AM UTC-7, wrote=
:
Video:
=20
http://www.garagewoodworks.com/video.php?video=3D79
=20
=20
=20
I'm looking for suggestions on how to attach the solid maple bottom and t=

op. I was thinking of using a solid bottom and glueing on a ledger to my l=
amp interior and drive a screw through the center of the bottom into the le=
dger. I don't want screws or glue on perimeter out of fear of expansion bl=
owing apart the base. Ideas?

Video link seems broken

any time you see "=3D" in a URL, replace it with "=".

http://www.garagewoodworks.com/video.php?video=79
Posted to rec.woodworking

"John Grossbohlin" wrote in message
m...

wrote in message

That is a good suggestion, but it would only work for the top or the bottom
and not both. Once you attach one or the other you can't get in there
anymore.

Duh! LOL I guess you could leave the center of the base open. ;~)

....waiting for someone to suggest leaving a hand inside to install the
screws... ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message

That is a good suggestion, but it would only work for the top or the
bottom and not both. Once you attach one or the other you can't get
in there anymore.

Duh! LOL I guess you could leave the center of the base open. ;~)

...waiting for someone to suggest leaving a hand inside to install the
screws... ;~)

Put eyescrews on the inside of the top and bottom. Run a nice tight
bungee cord between them. Watch your fingers! Problem solved.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/29/2013 11:41 AM, wrote:
Video:
http://www.garagewoodworks.com/video.php?video=79

I'm looking for suggestions on how to attach the solid maple bottom and top. I was thinking of using a solid bottom and glueing on a ledger to my lamp interior and drive a screw through the center of the bottom into the ledger. I don't want screws or glue on perimeter out of fear of expansion blowing apart the base. Ideas?

Could the top be held down in some way by the lamp shaft itself? They
make lots of different permutations of that hardware.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/29/2013 10:41 AM, wrote:
Video:
http://www.garagewoodworks.com/video.php?video=79

I'm looking for suggestions on how to attach the solid maple bottom and top. I was thinking of using a solid bottom and glueing on a ledger to my lamp interior and drive a screw through the center of the bottom into the ledger. I don't want screws or glue on perimeter out of fear of expansion blowing apart the base. Ideas?

Over sized pilot holes and pocket hole screws. Been there done that.
Over sized holes to allow for wood movement.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/29/2013 7:01 PM, Leon wrote:
On 3/29/2013 10:41 AM, wrote:
Video:
http://www.garagewoodworks.com/video.php?video=79

I'm looking for suggestions on how to attach the solid maple bottom
and top. I was thinking of using a solid bottom and glueing on a
ledger to my lamp interior and drive a screw through the center of the
bottom into the ledger. I don't want screws or glue on perimeter out
of fear of expansion blowing apart the base. Ideas?

Over sized pilot holes and pocket hole screws. Been there done that.
Over sized holes to allow for wood movement.

Never mind, I was just thinking the bottom. Use a long hollow lamp rod
to run the wiring through and use the nuts to hold both ends on.
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon[_7_] View Post
On 3/29/2013 7:01 PM, Leon wrote:

I'm looking for suggestions on how to attach the solid maple bottom
and top. I was thinking of using a solid bottom and glueing on a
ledger to my lamp interior and drive a screw through the center of the
bottom into the ledger. I don't want screws or glue on perimeter out
of fear of expansion blowing apart the base. Ideas?

Never mind, I was just thinking the bottom. Use a long hollow lamp rod
to run the wiring through and use the nuts to hold both ends on.
Yeah I agree with you, Its the right way to make it.
aged care queensland

Last edited by Apolonia : April 6th 13 at 05:25 PM