Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Make a set of Salt and Pepper Shakers

Just released this today:

http://www.garagewoodworks.com/video.php?video=77

-Brian
Posted to rec.woodworking

Clicked on the link and the page opened. Hit play and just got a black screen.

Larry

On Wednesday, March 13, 2013 9:51:03 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Just released this today:

http://www.garagewoodworks.com/video.php?video=77

-Brian

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/13/2013 9:40 PM, Gramp's shop wrote:
Clicked on the link and the page opened. Hit play and just got a black screen.

Larry

Looks like it might be a personal problem, Larry.

I just clicked on it and it plays just fine. I've got a less than
stellar wireless broadband connection here at home so it dragged a bit
but it did work.

Give a another shot... Sometimes whien I click on these links, all I
need do is refresh the page if the video doesn't play and the second
time is the charm.

Nice quick project, Brian. Thanks, as always, for posting!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/13/2013 10:40 PM, Gramp's shop wrote:
Clicked on the link and the page opened. Hit play and just got a black screen.

Works fine here, have you got flash installed? Is it current, some
browsers are now blocking older version.

--
Froz...

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
Just released this today:

http://www.garagewoodworks.com/video.php?video=77

Totally amazing. He used the following power tools to make a salt & pepper
shaker:
* Planer
* Table saw
* Jointer
* Drill press
* Miter saw

and maybe others I missed.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/15/2013 7:12 AM, HeyBub wrote:
wrote:
Just released this today:

http://www.garagewoodworks.com/video.php?video=77

Totally amazing. He used the following power tools to make a salt & pepper
shaker:
* Planer
* Table saw
* Jointer
* Drill press
* Miter saw

and maybe others I missed.

I guess I'm missing your point, Heybub, what is it?

I could make a reasonable guess about your point if Brian had purchased
all those tools with the specific intent of turning out one (or even a
gross) of those S&P sets, but he didn't. He whipped out a simple
project using the tools he happened to have available. Where's the harm?

If he'd done them with a draw knife and an auger would we be chiding him
for ignoring his modern tools and doing it the old fashioned way?

What was it they said in recruit training? Oh, yeah... "Smoke 'em if
you gottem!" Not go out and buy a pack and start smoking.g

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, March 15, 2013 8:12:55 AM UTC-4, HeyBub wrote:
wrote:

Just released this today:

http://www.garagewoodworks.com/video.php?video=77

Totally amazing. He used the following power tools to make a salt & pepper

shaker:

* Planer

* Table saw

* Jointer

* Drill press

* Miter saw

and maybe others I missed.

Interesting comment. Totally amazing, he used all those words (he, used, tool, pepper, salt etc.) and I still don't understand the point.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Just released this today:

http://www.garagewoodworks.com/video.php?video=77

Totally amazing. He used the following power tools to make a salt & pepper

shaker:

* Planer

* Table saw

* Jointer

* Drill press

* Miter saw

and maybe others I missed.

Interesting comment. Totally amazing, he used all those words (he, used, tool, pepper, salt etc.) and I still don't understand the point.

You got to use a bunch of tools! Bonus! And no heavy lifting. Bonus
Bonus. ;~)
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

Interesting comment. Totally amazing, he used all those words (he, used,
tool, pepper, salt etc.) and I still don't understand the point.

You got to use a bunch of tools! Bonus! And no heavy lifting. Bonus
Bonus. ;~)

Yup... Sometimes it's nice to knock out little projects that use almost
every tool in the shop... a little near instant gratification can go a long
ways when thrown in between weeks or months long projects!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/15/2013 8:12 AM, HeyBub wrote:
wrote:
Just released this today:

http://www.garagewoodworks.com/video.php?video=77

Totally amazing. He used the following power tools to make a salt & pepper
shaker:
* Planer
* Table saw
* Jointer
* Drill press
* Miter saw

and maybe others I missed.

Indeed. A couple acres of land, chain saws, a sawmill, forklifts, and a
couple of trucks at the very least, not to mention a power plant, an oil
tanker, a refinery...

Your point would seem to be that there is some sort of overkill going
on, to which I can only observe that making rectangular prisms out of
wood seems to require similar equipment whether the prisms are small or
large.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, March 13, 2013 9:51:03 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Just released this today:

http://www.garagewoodworks.com/video.php?video=77

-Brian

Worked fine today, Brian. Neat little project, well done.

Larry
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/13/2013 9:51 AM, wrote:
Just released this today:

http://www.garagewoodworks.com/video.php?video=77

-Brian

I am going to buy some stock in Franklin Glue company. ;~)

I seriously believe you applied 5 times more than you needed.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 15, 6:36*pm, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:
On 3/13/2013 9:51 AM, wrote:

Just released this today:

http://www.garagewoodworks.com/video.php?video=77

-Brian

I am going to buy some stock in Franklin Glue company. *;~)

I seriously believe you applied 5 times more than you needed.

I've been wondering about that myself. I've always been afraid of a
lot of squeeze-out. (for values of "always" that include as few
projects as I have attempted so far). Brian seems entirely unconcerned
about it, probably because he knows something (a lot) that I don't. .
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/13/2013 9:51 AM, wrote:

Just released this today:

http://www.garagewoodworks.com/video.php?video=77

-Brian

I am going to buy some stock in Franklin Glue company. ;~)

I seriously believe you applied 5 times more than you needed.

I've been wondering about that myself. I've always been afraid of a
lot of squeeze-out. (for values of "always" that include as few
projects as I have attempted so far). Brian seems entirely unconcerned
about it, probably because he knows something (a lot) that I don't. .

Actually you only need enough glue to cover both surfaces. Anything
beyond that ends up on the work table.

After only 35 or so years of doing this I have learned to apply enough
to form a very slight bead after clamping. And after 35 years I have
learned to keep my fingers out of the glue. :~).
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 15, 8:15*pm, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

Actually you only need enough glue to cover both surfaces. *Anything
beyond that ends up on the work table.

After only 35 or so years of doing this I have learned to apply enough
to form a very slight bead after clamping. *And after 35 years I have
learned to keep my fingers out of the glue. *:~).

Around '69 or so, I took a school shop class and we did some small
layups. We used a lot of glue, and we actually used Elmer's white
glue as preferred by my shop teacher. I don't think there was
widespread use of yellow glue at that time. We put enough glue on our
layups that cleanup and was always a huge issue.

Next year, I was in a better school with a better shop, and layed up
some walnut to make 5"X5"X12" blocks to use as blanks to make
candlesticks on the lathes. More glue on the floor than was on the
rest of my projects that semester.

When I got out of high school and went into the trades I worked with a
professional carpenter for the first time. His goal when doing a glue
up was to have a "detectable" squeeze out. So I learned when laying
up to put a tiny line on an edge, making sure the wood was moist with
glue from edge to edge and then clamped.

After that, I found that my own glue usage dropped by about 75%. And
using that method to this day, never had a liquid glue failure.

I think the glue bath technique was started by people that were unsure
of what they were doing, and were of the "more must be better camp".
It could also be associated with the fact that adhesives from 50 years
ago weren't nearly as effective and forgiving to use as they are now.
Since a lot of woodworking is taught by selling folklore and stuff
someone saw their grandfather do to one another, the idea of the glue
bath has hung on.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, March 15, 2013 10:21:18 AM UTC-6, Greg Guarino wrote:
Indeed. A couple acres of land, chain saws, a sawmill, forklifts, and a couple of trucks at the very least, not to mention a power plant, an oil tanker, a refinery...

And don't forget SketchUp.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Sonny" wrote in message

On Friday, March 15, 2013 10:21:18 AM UTC-6, Greg Guarino wrote:
Indeed. A couple acres of land, chain saws, a sawmill, forklifts, and

a couple of trucks at the very least, not to mention a power plant, an oil
tanker, a refinery...

And don't forget SketchUp.

....and the permission of the government that allows for all this dangerous
stuff. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/16/2013 12:11 PM, wrote:
[...]

We used Weldwood glue in school bud did not slather it on, just enough
to coat the surfaces.

To sum up, the best glue joint is a very thin one, one that you cannot
see the joint. How much glue do you suppose it takes to fill that gap?
Any glue you see after clamping is excess.

I watched a video with that Chris guy, from one of the magazines, glue
up several panels edge to edge. He slathered on the glue, smeared it
with his finger, and laid it all on the floor to flatten it out while he
applied the clamps on the top side. Needless to say, a farkin mess on
the floor. I had to think to my self, who the hell is learning from
this? Reminded me of the other guy that had the TV show and called his
SCMS a Radial arm saw. Oh and then the guy On DIY TV, The Ultimate Work
Shop. The look on his face was priceless when he was demonstrating how
to cut a dado with a stacked dado set. The board he was pushing through
with the miter gauge only went as far as the splitter on the blade guard.

Robert, you and Swingman and I should start our own TV show. It can
start out with the two of you standing on both sides of me testing the
sag on my desk cabinet. :!)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 16, 6:21*pm, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

Robert, you and Swingman and I should start our own TV show. *It can
start out with the two of you standing on both sides of me testing the
sag on my desk cabinet. *:!)

I can see it now....

"Woodwerkin' from Texas" starring the least opinionated guys you will
ever meet!

Hah!

Although, I think I must say that desk would indeed probably HOLD all
three of us pretty easily!. Even with my girlish frame.... ;^)

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

" wrote:
On Mar 16, 6:21 pm, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

Robert, you and Swingman and I should start our own TV show. It can
start out with the two of you standing on both sides of me testing the
sag on my desk cabinet. :!)

I can see it now....

"Woodwerkin' from Texas" starring the least opinionated guys you will
ever meet!

Hah!

Although, I think I must say that desk would indeed probably HOLD all
three of us pretty easily!. Even with my girlish frame.... ;^)

Robert

I read this part of his thread to Kim. She almost lost the mouth full of
coffee and ROTFL.