Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Jointer usage question

I recently purchased a used Delta 37-190 6" jointer. I need to edge joint a
6' long board. The finished board needs to be 6' so I can't cut it to do the
job in smaller sections if that is relevant. My question is about where you
apply downward pressure with your hand. Do you do it on the outfeed side of
the jointer or the infeed side? Thanks.

Dick Snyder

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/18/2013 8:43 AM, Dick Snyder wrote:
I recently purchased a used Delta 37-190 6" jointer. I need to edge joint a
6' long board. The finished board needs to be 6' so I can't cut it to do the
job in smaller sections if that is relevant. My question is about where you
apply downward pressure with your hand. Do you do it on the outfeed side of
the jointer or the infeed side? Thanks.

Start the board on the infeed side, with both hands applying light
downward pressure, and lateral pressure in the direction of the fence,
on the infeed side.

Without pausing, and _as soon as enough of the board has passed the
cutter head to safely do so_, transfer one, then the other hand,
applying the same downward and lateral pressure on the outfeed side

Finish up the pass with both hands on the outfeed side.

Make practice cuts on some scrap to perfect your technique.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks Karl. Very helpful. I'll do my practice before I do the 6' board.

Dick

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/18/2013 9:37 AM, Dick Snyder wrote:

Thanks Karl. Very helpful. I'll do my practice before I do the 6' board.

Although your question was strictly about hand placement, Pat had an
excellent point ... tool setup, then technique.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://plus.google.com/114902129577517371552/posts
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 18 Jan 2013 10:37:15 -0500, "Dick Snyder"
wrote:

"Swingman" wrote in message
[...]

Dick, follow that advice but don't use your -hands- near a planer
blade. Use push blocks like these, instead. (see below) They're made
for that purpose and are much, much safer, should your board slip.
There is no repair for a hand which has met a planer blade.

http://tinyurl.com/a6wq4y4
At Amazon, get a pair for $10.50 (One for each hand.)

--
Average # of people killed in mass shooting when stopped by police: 18.25
Average # of people killed when stopped by civilians: 2

Save lives: Keep Civilians Armed!

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

wrote in message
[...]

And, if the edge is concave, to make it simpler to get started, set
depth to a shallow cut and start in the middle at the high point and
work to each end--you'll take the high points off first and then you can
work the whole length a final pass or two to get a glue edge.

Conversely, if there's significant bow convex, use a straight edge or
snap a chalk line and take a few passes to approach the line first and
get roughly parallel to it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, January 18, 2013 9:25:48 AM UTC-8, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Fri, 18 Jan 2013 10:37:15 -0500, "Dick Snyder" wrote: "Swingman" wrote in message ... On 1/18/2013 8:43 AM, Dick Snyder wrote: I recently purchased a used Delta 37-190 6" jointer. I need to edge joint a 6' long board. The finished board needs to be 6' so I can't cut it to do the job in smaller sections if that is relevant. My question is about where you apply downward pressure with your hand. Do you do it on the outfeed side of the jointer or the infeed side? Thanks. Start the board on the infeed side, with both hands applying light downward pressure, and lateral pressure in the direction of the fence, on the infeed side. Without pausing, and _as soon as enough of the board has passed the cutter head to safely do so_, transfer one, then the other hand, applying the same downward and lateral pressure on the outfeed side Finish up the pass with both hands on the outfeed side. Make practice cuts on some scrap to perfect your technique.. Thanks Karl. Very helpful. I'll do my practice before I do the 6' board. Dick, follow that advice but don't use your -hands- near a planer blade. Use push blocks like these, instead. (see below) They're made for that purpose and are much, much safer, should your board slip. There is no repair for a hand which has met a planer blade. http://tinyurl.com/a6wq4y4 At Amazon, get a pair for $10.50 (One for each hand.) -- Average # of people killed in mass shooting when stopped by police: 18.25 Average # of people killed when stopped by civilians: 2 Save lives: Keep Civilians Armed!

This is edge jointing. Push blocks would be very dangerous. Use your hands for sure. Face jointing, yes, always. Just to many ways you can loose lots o' flesh and bone.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/18/2013 8:43 AM, Dick Snyder wrote:
I recently purchased a used Delta 37-190 6" jointer. I need to edge joint a
6' long board. The finished board needs to be 6' so I can't cut it to do the
job in smaller sections if that is relevant. My question is about where you
apply downward pressure with your hand. Do you do it on the outfeed side of
the jointer or the infeed side? Thanks.

Dick Snyder

As an alternative, Cut the board to length and straighten it on the TS.
6" is plenty short enough that the rip fence will act just like the
fence on your jointer. Cut the bowed out side first and then cut the
other side to the proper width.
Posted to rec.woodworking

This is edge jointing. Push blocks would be very dangerous.

Asolutely ...

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://plus.google.com/114902129577517371552/posts
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dick Snyder" wrote in message
I recently purchased a used Delta 37-190 6" jointer. I need to edge joint a
6' long board. The finished board needs to be 6' so I can't cut it to do
the job in smaller sections if that is relevant. My question is about where
you apply downward pressure with your hand. Do you do it on the outfeed
side of the jointer or the infeed side? Thanks.

Dick Snyder

Thanks to all of you for your very helpful advice!!!

Dick Snyder