Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Stored Wood

It's my sisters birthday, so I turned a few things for her. The
surprize was remembering all the maple rounds I had stored in one of
the sheds fo future use. Turns out it's developed some nice spalting.

http://s1185.beta.photobucket.com/us...tml?sort=3&o=0

Mike M
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, January 15, 2013 1:42:51 PM UTC-6, Mike M wrote:
It's my sisters birthday, so I turned a few things for her. The

surprize was remembering all the maple rounds I had stored in one of

the sheds fo future use. Turns out it's developed some nice spalting.

http://s1185.beta.photobucket.com/us...tml?sort=3&o=0

Mike M

OH My yes! Those are beautiful and the spalting in the bowl is spectacular.

RonB
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/15/2013 1:42 PM, Mike M wrote:
It's my sisters birthday, so I turned a few things for her. The
surprize was remembering all the maple rounds I had stored in one of
the sheds fo future use. Turns out it's developed some nice spalting.

http://s1185.beta.photobucket.com/us...tml?sort=3&o=0

Mike M

WOW! That bowl is beautiful! Oddly I have some spalted oak that looks
very very close to that in color.

And surrounded with maple.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...in/photostream
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/15/2013 1:42 PM, Mike M wrote:
It's my sisters birthday, so I turned a few things for her. The
surprize was remembering all the maple rounds I had stored in one of
the sheds fo future use. Turns out it's developed some nice spalting.

http://s1185.beta.photobucket.com/us...tml?sort=3&o=0

Mike M

Damn, that's purty! That bowl makes me want to go buy lathe.

So, is that your shop?

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike M wrote:
It's my sisters birthday, so I turned a few things for her. The
surprize was remembering all the maple rounds I had stored in one of
the sheds fo future use. Turns out it's developed some nice spalting.

http://s1185.beta.photobucket.com/us...tml?sort=3&o=0

Mike M

Just don't understand how you guys do that stuff. You putz around with
tools that point in the wrong direction, spin blocks of wood around and then
stick sharp things in their path, and somehow turn out really nice looking
stuff. If that were me, the outcome of my efforts would be called
schrapnel...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 15 Jan 2013 11:45:30 -0800 (PST), RonB
wrote:

On Tuesday, January 15, 2013 1:42:51 PM UTC-6, Mike M wrote:
It's my sisters birthday, so I turned a few things for her. The

surprize was remembering all the maple rounds I had stored in one of

the sheds fo future use. Turns out it's developed some nice spalting.

http://s1185.beta.photobucket.com/us...tml?sort=3&o=0

Mike M

OH My yes! Those are beautiful and the spalting in the bowl is spectacular.

RonB

Thanks I was real pleased with the look and that I got most of the
tree stored with the ends coated.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 15 Jan 2013 13:55:42 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 1/15/2013 1:42 PM, Mike M wrote:
It's my sisters birthday, so I turned a few things for her. The
surprize was remembering all the maple rounds I had stored in one of
the sheds fo future use. Turns out it's developed some nice spalting.

http://s1185.beta.photobucket.com/us...tml?sort=3&o=0

Mike M

WOW! That bowl is beautiful! Oddly I have some spalted oak that looks
very very close to that in color.

And surrounded with maple.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...in/photostream

And the nice part is I have the better part of the tree. I might have
build the resaw jig so I can cut some boards out of the rounds. The
spalted oak looks real good in the middle of the doors.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 15 Jan 2013 14:06:21 -0600, Swingman wrote:

On 1/15/2013 1:42 PM, Mike M wrote:
It's my sisters birthday, so I turned a few things for her. The
surprize was remembering all the maple rounds I had stored in one of
the sheds fo future use. Turns out it's developed some nice spalting.

http://s1185.beta.photobucket.com/us...tml?sort=3&o=0

Mike M

Damn, that's purty! That bowl makes me want to go buy lathe.

So, is that your shop?

That is the shop, though I did get paint on everything this fall so it
looks pretty good. There's another addition on the other side though
not as large.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 15 Jan 2013 15:25:04 -0500, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

Mike M wrote:
It's my sisters birthday, so I turned a few things for her. The
surprize was remembering all the maple rounds I had stored in one of
the sheds fo future use. Turns out it's developed some nice spalting.

http://s1185.beta.photobucket.com/us...tml?sort=3&o=0

Mike M

Just don't understand how you guys do that stuff. You putz around with
tools that point in the wrong direction, spin blocks of wood around and then
stick sharp things in their path, and somehow turn out really nice looking
stuff. If that were me, the outcome of my efforts would be called
schrapnel...

I learned the hard way to wear a face shield if it can come off.
Didn't properly chuck something and gave myself a black eye.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/15/2013 4:08 PM, Mike M wrote:
On Tue, 15 Jan 2013 14:06:21 -0600, Swingman wrote:

So, is that your shop?

That is the shop, though I did get paint on everything this fall so it
looks pretty good. There's another addition on the other side though
not as large.

Impressive ... and I'm envious.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://plus.google.com/114902129577517371552/posts
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote:
Mike M wrote:
It's my sisters birthday, so I turned a few things for her. The
surprize was remembering all the maple rounds I had stored in one of
the sheds fo future use. Turns out it's developed some nice spalting.

http://s1185.beta.photobucket.com/us...tml?sort=3&o=0

Mike M

Just don't understand how you guys do that stuff. You putz around with
tools that point in the wrong direction, spin blocks of wood around and then
stick sharp things in their path, and somehow turn out really nice looking
stuff. If that were me, the outcome of my efforts would be called
schrapnel...

I have said this a few times lately, the new carbide tipped turning tools
have a near zero learning curve. I have 3 and replaced all of my 15 or so
other traditional turning tools.
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , Mike M
wrote:

Turns out it's developed some nice spalting.

Love it. Is there a base or foot on the bowl? What finish?

--
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to
read. - Groucho Marx
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 15 Jan 2013 19:48:41 -0600, Leon wrote:

"Mike Marlow" wrote:
Mike M wrote:
It's my sisters birthday, so I turned a few things for her. The
surprize was remembering all the maple rounds I had stored in one of
the sheds fo future use. Turns out it's developed some nice spalting.

http://s1185.beta.photobucket.com/us...tml?sort=3&o=0

Mike M

Just don't understand how you guys do that stuff. You putz around with
tools that point in the wrong direction, spin blocks of wood around and then
stick sharp things in their path, and somehow turn out really nice looking
stuff. If that were me, the outcome of my efforts would be called
schrapnel...

I have said this a few times lately, the new carbide tipped turning tools
have a near zero learning curve. I have 3 and replaced all of my 15 or so
other traditional turning tools.

I have one, but I haven't used it much, maybe I'll give it another
try. I've found that as I've got better at sharpening, specificaly
the finger ground gouges and learned to use the bevel more I do pretty
well. On the outside once the shape is roughed out I prefer to use a
skew chisel the most.

Mike M
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 15 Jan 2013 21:43:54 -0600, Dave Balderstone
wrote:

In article , Mike M
wrote:

Turns out it's developed some nice spalting.

Love it. Is there a base or foot on the bowl? What finish?

There is a slight concave on 1/2 the base. I'm able to chuck it up on
a Oneway face set up for grabbing bowls so I turn the base last. If
you look close at the far side you can see the start of a crack in the
edge so it won't be holding liquids so I didn't worry about food safe.
I used Watco natural danish oil and a few coats of a satin gel poly.
Posted to rec.woodworking

I taught our son to turn - he was turning by himself and after
a number of nice items - one afternoon while I was at work he
stabbed a block a bit aggressively and a half flung off and hit him
in the face shield hood area. Just above the clear plastic. Snapped
a nice silver dollar size half moon. - He hasn't turned since. That
has been 12 years of so. Such is life. - He knows how to do a number of
projects and maybe someday he will try again.

Martin

wrote:

Mike M wrote:
It's my sisters birthday, so I turned a few things for her. The
surprize was remembering all the maple rounds I had stored in one of
the sheds fo future use. Turns out it's developed some nice spalting.

http://s1185.beta.photobucket.com/us...tml?sort=3&o=0

Mike M

Just don't understand how you guys do that stuff. You putz around with
tools that point in the wrong direction, spin blocks of wood around and then
stick sharp things in their path, and somehow turn out really nice looking
stuff. If that were me, the outcome of my efforts would be called
schrapnel...

I learned the hard way to wear a face shield if it can come off.
Didn't properly chuck something and gave myself a black eye.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike M wrote:
It's my sisters birthday, so I turned a few things for her. The
surprize was remembering all the maple rounds I had stored in one of
the sheds fo future use. Turns out it's developed some nice spalting.

http://s1185.beta.photobucket.com/us...tml?sort=3&o=0

Is the pointy-thing in the first picture a cake decorator?