Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Preventing Delamination

I was wondering how everyone treats their plywood to prevent it from
delaminating. Specifically the veneer at the edges.(Especially that
cheap plywood from Lowes, Home Depot, etc.).

Is there a specific product used to combat this issue before priming
and painting?

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 15 Dec 2012 16:09:26 -0800 (PST), Searcher7
I was wondering how everyone treats their plywood to prevent it from
delaminating. Specifically the veneer at the edges.(Especially that
cheap plywood from Lowes, Home Depot, etc.).

Is there a specific product used to combat this issue before priming
and painting?

Didn't you just ask this question a few days ago?
Posted to rec.woodworking

Searcher7 wrote:

I was wondering how everyone treats their plywood to prevent it from
delaminating. Specifically the veneer at the edges.(Especially that
cheap plywood from Lowes, Home Depot, etc.).

Is there a specific product used to combat this issue before priming
and painting?

What part of "dewaxed shellac" don't you understand?

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 15, 7:57*pm, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:
*Searcher7 wrote:
I was wondering how everyone treats their plywood to prevent it from
delaminating. Specifically the veneer at the edges.(Especially that
cheap plywood from Lowes, Home Depot, etc.).

Is there a specific product used to combat this issue before priming
and painting?

What part of "dewaxed shellac" don't you understand?

Lew

I previously asked about sealing plywood to prevent it from warping.

If the "dewaxed shellac" is also used to to keep the veneer at the
edges from breaking off due to cheap glue then no problem.

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Searcher7 wrote:
I was wondering how everyone treats their plywood to prevent it from
delaminating. Specifically the veneer at the edges.(Especially that
cheap plywood from Lowes, Home Depot, etc.).

Is there a specific product used to combat this issue before priming
and painting?

What part of "dewaxed shellac" don't you understand?

Lew

I previously asked about sealing plywood to prevent it from warping.

If the "dewaxed shellac" is also used to to keep the veneer at the
edges from breaking off due to cheap glue then no problem.

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Well for me I would put a solid wood edge on, glued on it does the job.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Searcher7 wrote:
I was wondering how everyone treats their plywood to prevent it from
delaminating. Specifically the veneer at the edges.(Especially that
cheap plywood from Lowes, Home Depot, etc.).

What do you mean by delaminating? Just sitting there? When you cut it? To
be honest - I don't have big problems with delamination. And - I use that
cheap stuff from Home Depot. What I can/do encounter is voids - that's
cheap plywood. Delamination - I just don't seem to have the problems that
you either have, or are fearing you may encounter.

Others have commented on this question and its similarity to another
question you recently posted. Not sure if this is the same as you
previously asked or not.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Searcher7 wrote:
I was wondering how everyone treats their plywood to prevent it from
delaminating. Specifically the veneer at the edges.(Especially that
cheap plywood from Lowes, Home Depot, etc.).

Is there a specific product used to combat this issue before priming
and painting?

What part of "dewaxed shellac" don't you understand?

Lew

I previously asked about sealing plywood to prevent it from warping.

If the "dewaxed shellac" is also used to to keep the veneer at the
edges from breaking off due to cheap glue then no problem.

Like I said in another reply - I just don't enounter this. Maybe you are
using a cheap blade to cut your plywood? Not holding your saw and your
plywood in good contact with each other during the cut?

Since you are asking about a product to be used before priming, I'm going to
guess that you're saying the cuts are ok, but that the edges are
delaminating on you at some later point. Are your cuts showing a great
amount of chipping? Is the plywood delaminating just sitting there? I
would find that hard to believe since it would delaminate in those cheap
stores - you know... Home Depot and Lowes, if that were really a problem.

I'm still guessing it is something that is being introduced by your cuts.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/15/12 8:38 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Searcher7 wrote:
I was wondering how everyone treats their plywood to prevent it from
delaminating. Specifically the veneer at the edges.(Especially that
cheap plywood from Lowes, Home Depot, etc.).

What do you mean by delaminating? Just sitting there? When you cut it? To
be honest - I don't have big problems with delamination.

Depends on the lot.
The stuff today seems to have a thinner than paper outer veneer.
Honestly, I don't know how they can glue that stuff on without the glue
soaking through the veneer. It makes you think there's some new
technology that involves the thinnest possible layer of whatever space
age adhesive is in vogue now. And that is surely part of the problem.

I've had some that adhered very well and others that I almost returned
because the top veneer would peel off like onion skin. Once it started,
it seems like a stiff wind would take the rest off. Horrible, horrible
stuff. I always check it now, by rubbing my finger up on the edge of an
end to see if I can get it to peel.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

Searcher7 wrote:
[...]

+1

--

dadiOH

Maybe just ready for a change? Check it out...
http://www.floridaloghouse.net

Cuisinart Stainless steel pan delamination Buerste Metalworking 9 May 4th 09 11:37 AM
Preventing Pad Lifts Rob Electronics Repair 22 June 3rd 07 03:24 PM
Preventing Snipe? trs80 Woodworking 18 January 10th 07 03:42 AM
preventing parking markzoom UK diy 78 April 21st 05 09:57 PM
Delamination house stone wall repair? jack UK diy 0 July 29th 04 04:29 PM