Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Question for you Sawstop users

(And I really don't want to start another thread with people
criticising the Sawstop)
Can you make your own zero clearance inserts? Do they provide special
blanks if you wanted to make your own? (If this topic was covered I
missed it, sorry.)

Thanks,
Marc (and these are sincere questions, not trying to start
another
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 9 Dec 2012 19:18:43 -0800 (PST), marc rosen
Can you make your own zero clearance inserts?

Many/most woodworkers eventually do get around to making their own
inserts. DAGS "making table saw inserts" for more instruction on how
to do it than you'd ever want to read.

Do they provide special
blanks if you wanted to make your own? (If this topic was covered I
missed it, sorry.)

You probably could buy blanks, but most make them out of suitable
sheet material they buy themselves. I've you're going to spend the
money buying special blanks, then you might was well go one step
further and buy finished inserts ready to use.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/10/2012 12:33 AM, Dave wrote:
On Sun, 9 Dec 2012 19:18:43 -0800 (PST), marc rosen
Can you make your own zero clearance inserts?

Many/most woodworkers eventually do get around to making their own
inserts. DAGS "making table saw inserts" for more instruction on how
to do it than you'd ever want to read.

Do they provide special
blanks if you wanted to make your own? (If this topic was covered I
missed it, sorry.)

You probably could buy blanks, but most make them out of suitable
sheet material they buy themselves. I've you're going to spend the
money buying special blanks, then you might was well go one step
further and buy finished inserts ready to use.

There's nothing to making your own. Anyone who does woodworking should
be able to, and not is just a waste of money.
I cover mine with formica, to make it slide easier.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 10, 8:46*pm, tiredofspam nospam.nospam.com wrote:
On 12/10/2012 12:33 AM, Dave wrote:

On Sun, 9 Dec 2012 19:18:43 -0800 (PST), marc rosen
Can you make your own zero clearance inserts?

Many/most woodworkers eventually do get around to making their own
inserts. DAGS "making table saw inserts" for more instruction on how
to do it than you'd ever want to read.

Do they provide special
blanks if you wanted to make your own? *(If this topic was covered I
missed it, sorry.)

You probably could buy blanks, but most make them out of suitable
sheet material they buy themselves. I've you're going to spend the
money buying special blanks, then you might was well go one step
further and buy finished inserts ready to use.

There's nothing to making your own. Anyone who does woodworking should
be able to, and not is just a waste of money.
I cover mine with formica, to make it slide easier.- Hide quoted text -

So you have a Sawstop? I just want to know if THAT saw can be fitted
with a homemade zero clearance insert. Is there any chance that this
might affect the saferty features in the saw? Would you still be able
to attach the guard system with a ZCI?
Marc
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 10 Dec 2012 20:46:11 -0500, tiredofspam nospam.nospam.com
There's nothing to making your own. Anyone who does woodworking should
be able to, and not is just a waste of money.
I cover mine with formica, to make it slide easier.

There's many types of suitable material for making inserts. I bought a
4x8 sheet of acrylic for an entertainment centre cabinet doors and
shelving. Had about 25% of it left when I was finished and have used
various cut off pieces of that for inserts.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 10 Dec 2012 18:17:25 -0800 (PST), marc rosen
So you have a Sawstop? I just want to know if THAT saw can be fitted
with a homemade zero clearance insert. Is there any chance that this
might affect the saferty features in the saw? Would you still be able
to attach the guard system with a ZCI?

Well, going by the description of the SawStop zero clearance insert,
there doesn't seem to be any component part of it that would or would
not affect its operation.
http://www.sawstop.com/zero-clearance-inserts/

Going by the comments of this guy, (3rd down) there seems to be no
reason at all not to make your own.
http://lumberjocks.com/topics/25870
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/10/2012 9:17 PM, marc rosen wrote:
[...]

I do not.
It has a beautiful zero clearance insert already
but you will need to make one as time goes on.
There is not reason that anything should prevent it.
go take a look at the one in any of the stores selling it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/11/2012 4:31 AM, Dave wrote:
On Mon, 10 Dec 2012 18:17:25 -0800 (PST), marc rosen
So you have a Sawstop? I just want to know if THAT saw can be fitted
with a homemade zero clearance insert. Is there any chance that this
might affect the saferty features in the saw? Would you still be able
to attach the guard system with a ZCI?

Well, going by the description of the SawStop zero clearance insert,
there doesn't seem to be any component part of it that would or would
not affect its operation.
http://www.sawstop.com/zero-clearance-inserts/

Going by the comments of this guy, (3rd down) there seems to be no
reason at all not to make your own.
http://lumberjocks.com/topics/25870

I did the releiving that way once, never again
I just thin the whole edge out so it sits lower.
either use screws or set screws, because the sawdust is a pain when on
the landings.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/11/2012 4:24 AM, Dave wrote:
On Mon, 10 Dec 2012 20:46:11 -0500, tiredofspam nospam.nospam.com
There's nothing to making your own. Anyone who does woodworking should
be able to, and not is just a waste of money.
I cover mine with formica, to make it slide easier.

There's many types of suitable material for making inserts. I bought a
4x8 sheet of acrylic for an entertainment centre cabinet doors and
shelving. Had about 25% of it left when I was finished and have used
various cut off pieces of that for inserts.

I use mdf and formica
but I bought some cheaper cutting boards feels like uhmw plastic
probably just recycled coke bottles, to use for my next one.
They look about the right thickness will probably hold screws well
so when I need my next, I'll give it a whirl... but yes anything can work.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, December 9, 2012 7:18:43 PM UTC-8, marc rosen wrote:
(And I really don't want to start another thread with people criticising the Sawstop) Can you make your own zero clearance inserts? Do they provide special blanks if you wanted to make your own? (If this topic was covered I missed it, sorry.) Thanks, Marc (and these are sincere questions, not trying to start another

Never made on for my SS but is quite obvious you could make your own. As long as the material you choose isn't wet wood or meat it won't trigger the brake.

That being said; they have a nice locking mechanisim and you'll need to make space for the riving knife if you want the upper guard in place. It has 4 nice little pads for leveling screws, one at each corner.

I rarely really must have actual "Zero" and when I do I usually lay down a piece of 1/8" something for the few cust I need.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, December 9, 2012 7:18:43 PM UTC-8, marc rosen wrote:
(And I really don't want to start another thread with people criticising the Sawstop) Can you make your own zero clearance inserts? Do they provide special blanks if you wanted to make your own? (If this topic was covered I missed it, sorry.) Thanks, Marc (and these are sincere questions, not trying to start another

Nothing in the manual saying you can or can't use other inserts but there is one "caution" that seesm to indicate they assume you may use other inserts than the ones they sell.

"CAUTION! Do not use table inserts with metal or other electrically-conductive parts that could contact the blade. This can cause the brake to be activated unnecessarily."
Posted to rec.woodworking

Hi Sonoma,
Thanks for that. I saw the SS provided insert with its locking
mechanism and wondered about home made units. It's not convenient to
stop at a dealer right now and i thought asking this crowd might
produce a few good answers.
Read you later,
Marc
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 11 Dec 2012 16:04:30 -0700, tiredofspam wrote
(in article ):

On 12/11/2012 4:31 AM, Dave wrote:

I did the releiving that way once, never again
I just thin the whole edge out so it sits lower.
either use screws or set screws, because the sawdust is a pain when on
the landings.

I finally tried the hot melt glue trick* instead of set screws. Still have
the problem of sawdust on the pads, but not having to drill and thread those
set screw holes is a bonus.

*Put some wax on your saw table insert tabs so the hot melt glue wont stick,
apply a blob to each tab, press in your insert until flush with the table
top, hold till dry. Basically this makes 'perfect' shims for each tab.

-Bruce