Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair

Default Sawing laminate countertop to length

Looking for suggestions as to the best way to cleanly saw (straight, square, no
tear-out) about 18 inches off the length of a 10ft Lowe's laminate coutertop:

http://images.lowes.com/product/conv...8118027007.jpg

http://www.lowes.com/pd_98696-1110-3...ductId=3351914

Since this thing has a 5" integrated backsplash, whats the best tool/method to
accomplish a nice smooth square cut?

Circular saw from the underside?
Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair

On 10/31/2012 9:11 AM, Spalted Walt wrote:
Looking for suggestions as to the best way to cleanly saw (straight, square, no
tear-out) about 18 inches off the length of a 10ft Lowe's laminate coutertop:

http://images.lowes.com/product/conv...8118027007.jpg

http://www.lowes.com/pd_98696-1110-3...ductId=3351914

Since this thing has a 5" integrated backsplash, whats the best tool/method to
accomplish a nice smooth square cut?

Circular saw from the underside?

Typically plastic laminate is trimmed to final size with a flush trim
router bit.

I would use an "L" shaped straight edge on the back side and straight
bit using about 4~5 passes.
Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair

On Wed, 31 Oct 2012 09:50:04 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 10/31/2012 9:11 AM, Spalted Walt wrote:
Looking for suggestions as to the best way to cleanly saw (straight, square, no
tear-out) about 18 inches off the length of a 10ft Lowe's laminate coutertop:

http://images.lowes.com/product/conv...8118027007.jpg

http://www.lowes.com/pd_98696-1110-3...ductId=3351914

Since this thing has a 5" integrated backsplash, whats the best tool/method to
accomplish a nice smooth square cut?

Circular saw from the underside?

Typically plastic laminate is trimmed to final size with a flush trim
router bit.

Is it a good idea to put masking tape above the line to be cut?

I would use an "L" shaped straight edge on the back side and straight
bit using about 4~5 passes.

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair

wrote:

Typically plastic laminate is trimmed to final size with a flush trim
router bit.

Is it a good idea to put masking tape above the line to be cut?

No reason to do so with a router bit as it is cutting horizontally. A saw
blade - any saw blade - is moving perpendicular to what you are cutting so
the teeth will tend to lift and tear out material along the saw cut on one
side or the other depending on the type of saw and which side you are
cutting from; in that case, tape can help.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Maybe just ready for a change? Check it out...
http://www.floridaloghouse.net

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair

On 10/31/2012 9:11 AM, Spalted Walt wrote:
Looking for suggestions as to the best way to cleanly saw (straight, square, no
tear-out) about 18 inches off the length of a 10ft Lowe's laminate coutertop:

http://images.lowes.com/product/conv...8118027007.jpg

http://www.lowes.com/pd_98696-1110-3...ductId=3351914

Since this thing has a 5" integrated backsplash, whats the best tool/method to
accomplish a nice smooth square cut?

Circular saw from the underside?

1. Use a fine tooth circular saw blade and make your cuts upside down
(with the laminate surface on the bottom)

2.Cut the back splash first, setting it on a flat, horizontal,
sacrificial (piece of 3/4" plywood) surface.

3. Cut the counter top part the same way - upside down setting on a
flat, horizontal, sacrificial (piece of 3/4" plywood) surface.

IOW, make your cuts upside down, backup both cuts on the bottom side
(and be sure to not let that cut-off tear the laminate as it falls, so
hold on to it all the way through the cut).

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair

On 10/31/12 12:11 PM, Swingman wrote:
[...]

Sounds like someone's done this before. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/31/2012 12:49 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 10/31/12 12:11 PM, Swingman wrote:

IOW, make your cuts upside down, backup both cuts on the bottom side
(and be sure to not let that cut-off tear the laminate as it falls, so
hold on to it all the way through the cut).

Sounds like someone's done this before. :-)

Once or twice ... now I just supervise.

Problem is, if you backcharge one of the current generation of trim
carpenters (or more often, one of his helpers) for a ruined countertop,
you stand a good chance of unseen consequences until it's too late
(that's spelled r-e-t-r-i-b-u-t-i-o-n, unfortunate, but always something
to keep in mind around a modern construction site).

Cheaper just to anticipate and make sure it gets done right.

(About the only place we do this anymore is in a remodel where the
client just wants to replace/repair what is already there and new
laminate is not an option).

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair

On Wed, 31 Oct 2012 12:11:19 -0500, Swingman wrote:

[...]

Thanks for your input, Swing. I found a youtube vid shortly after my original
post that somewhat echos your suggestion:

German ingenuity! :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5SOAUgnU4g

I find it a little strange that Home Depot and Lowe's have been selling pre-made
laminate coutertops for many, many years yet there is only ONE video on youtube
(at least that's all I could find) that shows a way of cutting one to length.
Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair

http://www.lowes.com/pd_98696-1110-3...36__?productId....

[...]

(at least that's all I could find) that shows a way of cutting one to length.- Hide quoted text -

After I viewed your link, youtube automatically suggested a number of
other videos related to cutting a counter top.

Another method was to cut the backsplash on a power miter saw and then
use the saw cut to transfer the line to bottom. A circular saw and
straight edge is used for the rest of the cut.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=...4&feature=fvwp

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair

[...]

FYI...I also found a series of 3 videos where a guy cut off the
backsplash along the glue line, cut the flat surface down to a
narrower depth and then reattached the back splash. Interesting idea.
Unfortunately the videos leave out major parts of the cutting and
don't include a close up of the new seam. I can't imagine it's even
close to perfect.

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair

On Oct 31, 3:46*pm, Pat Barber wrote:
http://www.woodworkingtips.com/etips/etip022500wb.html

On 10/31/2012 7:11 AM, Spalted Walt wrote:

Looking for suggestions as to the best way to cleanly saw (straight, square, no
tear-out) about 18 inches off the length of a 10ft Lowe's laminate coutertop:

http://images.lowes.com/product/conv...8118027007.jpg

http://www.lowes.com/pd_98696-1110-3...36__?productId...

Since this thing has a 5" integrated backsplash, whats the best tool/method to
accomplish a nice smooth square cut?

Circular saw from the underside?- Hide quoted text -

That's one I've got to remember!
Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair

Pat Barber wrote in
:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_98696-1110-3...6__?productId=
3351914

Since this thing has a 5" integrated backsplash, whats the best
tool/method to accomplish a nice smooth square cut?

Circular saw from the underside?

Found that article a few years back. Made the jig. Worked like a charm.
Same integrated backsplash. Came out perfect. Had never cut a countertop
before.
Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair

On Wed, 31 Oct 2012 12:46:56 -0700, Pat Barber wrote:

http://www.woodworkingtips.com/etips/etip022500wb.html

Bingo! Thanks for the link, Pat!

Since the laminate is glued to termite-puke I'm thinking about maybe sealing up
the underside with a few coats of some left-over dark brown latex house paint
I've got in the shop. Just to keep moisture out and maybe keep the particle
board from shedding little flakes over the coming years. Anything wrong with
this idea?

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair

Spalted Walt wrote:
Looking for suggestions as to the best way to cleanly saw (straight,
square, no tear-out) about 18 inches off the length of a 10ft Lowe's
laminate coutertop:

http://images.lowes.com/product/conv...8118027007.jpg

http://www.lowes.com/pd_98696-1110-3...ductId=3351914

Since this thing has a 5" integrated backsplash, whats the best
tool/method to accomplish a nice smooth square cut?

Circular saw from the underside?

The last time I did it I used my HF multi-purpose tool. I clamped some 1" stock
to the counter as a guide, and pressed side of the blade firmly against it, then
did multiple passes to get through. Slow, but it gave me a very clean cut
without chips in the laminate.

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair

Spalted Walt wrote:

Looking for suggestions as to the best way to cleanly saw (straight, square, no
tear-out) about 18 inches off the length of a 10ft Lowe's laminate coutertop:

http://images.lowes.com/product/conv...8118027007.jpg

http://www.lowes.com/pd_98696-1110-3...ductId=3351914

Since this thing has a 5" integrated backsplash, whats the best tool/method to
accomplish a nice smooth square cut?

Circular saw from the underside?

I cut one of those once. I didn't have a circular saw. I taped the laminate side,
clamped 2x4s to it and used a sharp hand saw. It cut like butter. I measured
from one side, marked several places, and connected the marks. My only problem
was assuming the end from which I measured was square. It was not. Please check
yours!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, October 31, 2012 9:11:08 AM UTC-5, Spalted Walt wrote:
Looking for suggestions as to the best way to cleanly saw (straight, square, no tear-out) about 18 inches off the length of a 10ft Lowe's laminate coutertop: http://images.lowes.com/product/conv...8118027007.jpg http://www.lowes.com/pd_98696-1110-3...ductId=3351914 Since this thing has a 5" integrated backsplash, whats the best tool/method to accomplish a nice smooth square cut? Circular saw from the underside?

Get a Festool track saw. The bigger model would be preferable since it might be able to go through the backsplash in one pass. Not sure. But you can do it with the smaller Festool track saw too. Clamp the guide to the backsplash and make your cut. Then move the track so it lines up with the cut you just made and finish cutting the counter portion of the plastic laminate. You are cutting from underneath so the plastic laminate is on the under side.
Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair

On 10/31/2012 9:11 AM, Spalted Walt wrote:
Looking for suggestions as to the best way to cleanly saw (straight, square, no
tear-out) about 18 inches off the length of a 10ft Lowe's laminate coutertop:

http://images.lowes.com/product/conv...8118027007.jpg

http://www.lowes.com/pd_98696-1110-3...ductId=3351914

Since this thing has a 5" integrated backsplash, whats the best tool/method to
accomplish a nice smooth square cut?

Circular saw from the underside?

Yes, circle saw with the top upside down. Make sure to support the fall
off. Screw on an edge guide. It would probably be worth making a
"scrap" cut for practice and to see all the issues before launching into
the finish cut.

--

Keep the whole world singing . . .
Dan G
remove the seven

Laminate Countertop drew Home Repair 4 March 5th 09 04:09 AM
Laminate countertop seniorgeezer Home Repair 1 June 24th 06 02:51 AM
Odd size laminate countertop Texas Yankee Home Repair 14 May 9th 06 02:53 AM
Cutting Laminate Countertop Mike Dobony Home Repair 6 March 28th 06 04:58 AM
Cutting Countertop to Length, Best Way? Ronbo Home Repair 6 February 13th 05 09:40 PM