Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Sawing laminate countertop to length

On 10/31/12 12:11 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 10/31/2012 9:11 AM, Spalted Walt wrote:
Looking for suggestions as to the best way to cleanly saw (straight,
square, no
tear-out) about 18 inches off the length of a 10ft Lowe's laminate
coutertop:

http://images.lowes.com/product/conv...8118027007.jpg

http://www.lowes.com/pd_98696-1110-3...ductId=3351914

Since this thing has a 5" integrated backsplash, whats the best
tool/method to
accomplish a nice smooth square cut?

Circular saw from the underside?

1. Use a fine tooth circular saw blade and make your cuts upside down
(with the laminate surface on the bottom)

2.Cut the back splash first, setting it on a flat, horizontal,
sacrificial (piece of 3/4" plywood) surface.

3. Cut the counter top part the same way - upside down setting on a
flat, horizontal, sacrificial (piece of 3/4" plywood) surface.

IOW, make your cuts upside down, backup both cuts on the bottom side
(and be sure to not let that cut-off tear the laminate as it falls, so
hold on to it all the way through the cut).

Sounds like someone's done this before. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--