Posted to rec.woodworking

Default O/T: Endeavor

The space shuttle, Endeavor, all 65 tons, 78 ft wing span, and some
120 ft long, is on the move.

This time down the streets of Los Angeles from LAX to her final
resting
place, about 12 miles away.

Traveling at no more than 2 miles/hour, it is going to take awhile.

Quite a logistics accomplishment, considering the clearances are down
to about 12 inches in some places.

It's quite a sight in real time.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
The space shuttle, Endeavor, all 65 tons, 78 ft wing span, and some
120 ft long, is on the move.

This time down the streets of Los Angeles from LAX to her final
resting
place, about 12 miles away.

What is the destination?

Traveling at no more than 2 miles/hour, it is going to take awhile.

Quite a logistics accomplishment, considering the clearances are down
to about 12 inches in some places.

It's quite a sight in real time.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Endeavor

"Lew Hodgett" wrote:

The space shuttle, Endeavor, all 65 tons, 78 ft wing span, and some
120 ft long, is on the move.

This time down the streets of Los Angeles from LAX to her final
resting
place, about 12 miles away.

Traveling at no more than 2 miles/hour, it is going to take awhile.

Quite a logistics accomplishment, considering the clearances are
down
to about 12 inches in some places.

It's quite a sight in real time.

Correction:

That should read 85 tons.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote:

What is the destination?

--------------------------
The California Science Center

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/12/2012 7:00 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
"Bill" wrote:

What is the destination?

--------------------------
The California Science Center

Lew

It is one of the saddest days of my life to see the symbolic end of the
US space program. In the fifties and sixties as kids we were sure we
would always be first, as the space program represented to us that this
country could do anything, and except for Sputnik we did. Now the US
has to stand by the side of the space road thumbing a ride into space.

All of the technical advances that have enter mainstream from the space
programs are ending. Things like the Laser surgeries that they are
doing routinely today, which we would not have without the initial work
in President Reagan Starwar programs. Everything from advances in
medicine to Tang. The space program was the central point in the
federal research program, and there are millions of things that we think
of necessities today that started in the space program.

In some ways it is also symbolic of decline of what was once a great
nation.

I hope we will realize what we are doing before we become just an
another of the many debit ridden countries that are trying to survive as
independent countries. A debit ridden nation that has a first lady who
said the only time she was proud to be an American was when her husband
became president.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 12 Oct 2012 19:24:54 -0400, Keith Nuttle
wrote:

[...]

Very well said, especially your last paragraph.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Keith Nuttle" wrote in message ...

On 10/12/2012 7:00 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
"Bill" wrote:

What is the destination?

--------------------------
The California Science Center

Lew

It is one of the saddest days of my life to see the symbolic end of the
US space program.
================================================== =======================================
What????

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

+1

--
Energy and persistence alter all things.
--Benjamin Franklin
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/12/2012 4:52 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
The space shuttle, Endeavor, all 65 tons, 78 ft wing span, and some
120 ft long, is on the move.

This time down the streets of Los Angeles from LAX to her final
resting
place, about 12 miles away.

Traveling at no more than 2 miles/hour, it is going to take awhile.

Quite a logistics accomplishment, considering the clearances are down
to about 12 inches in some places.

It's quite a sight in real time.

Lew

And a Texas built truck will be pulling it to its end.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 12 Oct 2012 23:26:50 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 10/12/2012 4:52 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
The space shuttle, Endeavor, all 65 tons, 78 ft wing span, and some
120 ft long, is on the move.

This time down the streets of Los Angeles from LAX to her final
resting
place, about 12 miles away.

Traveling at no more than 2 miles/hour, it is going to take awhile.

Quite a logistics accomplishment, considering the clearances are down
to about 12 inches in some places.

It's quite a sight in real time.

And a Texas built truck will be pulling it to its end.

Really, a Tundra? (I'll bet it could...on the flat.

--
Experience is a hard teacher because she gives
the test first, the lesson afterwards.

Posted to rec.woodworking

in 1540012 20121012 225244 "Lew Hodgett" wrote:
The space shuttle, Endeavor, all 65 tons, 78 ft wing span, and some
120 ft long, is on the move.

This time down the streets of Los Angeles from LAX to her final
resting
place, about 12 miles away.

Traveling at no more than 2 miles/hour, it is going to take awhile.

Quite a logistics accomplishment, considering the clearances are down
to about 12 inches in some places.

It's quite a sight in real time.

Ahem! It is spelled "Endeavour". It's named after Lt. James Cook's ship.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Endeavour
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
The space shuttle, Endeavor, all 65 tons, 78 ft wing span, and some
120 ft long, is on the move.

This time down the streets of Los Angeles from LAX to her final
resting
place, about 12 miles away.

Traveling at no more than 2 miles/hour, it is going to take awhile.

Quite a logistics accomplishment, considering the clearances are down
to about 12 inches in some places.

It's quite a sight in real time.

I looked at some of the pictures on-line of the move - very impressive
operation! I can only imagine how impressive it is to see in person.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bob Martin" wrote:

Ahem! It is spelled "Endeavour". It's named after Lt. James Cook's
ship.

Mea Culpa, spell checker bit me after I first typed "Endeavour".

Damn technology.

Thank you.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 10/12/2012 4:52 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
The space shuttle, Endeavor, all 65 tons, 78 ft wing span, and some
120 ft long, is on the move.

This time down the streets of Los Angeles from LAX to her final
resting
place, about 12 miles away.

Traveling at no more than 2 miles/hour, it is going to take awhile.

Quite a logistics accomplishment, considering the clearances are down
to about 12 inches in some places.

It's quite a sight in real time.

And a Texas built truck will be pulling it to its end.

Really, a Tundra? (I'll bet it could...on the flat.

--
Experience is a hard teacher because she gives
the test first, the lesson afterwards.
-- Vernon Sanders Law

http://news.yahoo.com/shuttle-passes...--finance.html
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/13/2012 7:30 AM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Snip of what matters.

Damn technology.

Old reliable fuel any one? ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Keith Nuttle" wrote:

[...]

Poor baby, do you always have your head up your ass when you start
blowing hot air?

The folks here at JPL as well as the private company in El Segundo who
have
sent an unmanned vehicle to the space station, docked and then
successfully returned
to earth, might just take exception with your nonsense.

The fact that the Ruskis are providing "taxi service" for a short
period of time while the
next generation of manned vehicles are brought on stream is NBD, IMHO.

Have a beer before you pop a blood vessel.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/13/2012 12:02 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
"Keith Nuttle" wrote:

[...]

I thought what he said was pretty interesting, Lew.
And right on all points.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Richard" wrote:

I thought what he said was pretty interesting, Lew.
And right on all points.

You are entitled to your misguided opinion.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 10/12/2012 4:52 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
The space shuttle, Endeavor, all 65 tons, 78 ft wing span, and some
120 ft long, is on the move.

This time down the streets of Los Angeles from LAX to her final
resting
place, about 12 miles away.

Traveling at no more than 2 miles/hour, it is going to take awhile.

Quite a logistics accomplishment, considering the clearances are down
to about 12 inches in some places.

It's quite a sight in real time.

And a Texas built truck will be pulling it to its end.

Really, a Tundra? (I'll bet it could...on the flat.

http://news.yahoo.com/shuttle-passes...--finance.html

Toyota couldn't ask for better advertising than that, could they?
vbg

KCAL Ch9 in HelL.A. has some real babe announcers.

--
Experience is a hard teacher because she gives
the test first, the lesson afterwards.
-- Vernon Sanders Law
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 13 Oct 2012 11:10:09 -0700, "Lew Hodgett"
wrote:

"Richard" wrote:

I thought what he said was pretty interesting, Lew.
And right on all points.

You are entitled to your misguided opinion.

Lew

I'm shocked that you didn't call him a "pathetic bigot" like you have
so often done to those who disagree with you!

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 10/12/2012 4:52 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
The space shuttle, Endeavor, all 65 tons, 78 ft wing span, and some
120 ft long, is on the move.

This time down the streets of Los Angeles from LAX to her final
resting
place, about 12 miles away.

Traveling at no more than 2 miles/hour, it is going to take awhile.

Quite a logistics accomplishment, considering the clearances are down
to about 12 inches in some places.

It's quite a sight in real time.

And a Texas built truck will be pulling it to its end.

Really, a Tundra? (I'll bet it could...on the flat.

http://news.yahoo.com/shuttle-passes...--finance.html

Toyota couldn't ask for better advertising than that, could they?
vbg

KCAL Ch9 in HelL.A. has some real babe announcers.

We have a pretty nice looking anchor at CH2 in Houston. But she traded
brains for looks. http://dominiquesachse.tv/

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

We have a pretty nice looking anchor at CH2 in Houston. But she
traded brains for looks. http://dominiquesachse.tv/

Shoot - she don't need no brains...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

"Richard" wrote:

I thought what he said was pretty interesting, Lew.
And right on all points.

You are entitled to your misguided opinion.

Lew

I'm shocked that you didn't call him a "pathetic bigot" like you have
so often done to those who disagree with you!

That's because while we sometimes disagree, we still respect each other.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 13 Oct 2012 17:05:20 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

We have a pretty nice looking anchor at CH2 in Houston. But she
traded brains for looks. http://dominiquesachse.tv/

Shoot - she don't need no brains...

And sometimes, you just don't want them to have any brains.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

"Richard" wrote:

I thought what he said was pretty interesting, Lew.
And right on all points.

You are entitled to your misguided opinion.

Lew

I'm shocked that you didn't call him a "pathetic bigot" like you have
so often done to those who disagree with you!

That's because while we sometimes disagree, we still respect each other.

"Your misguided opinion" doesn't sound like he respects you.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/12/2012 04:24 PM, Keith Nuttle wrote:
On 10/12/2012 7:00 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
"Bill" wrote:

What is the destination?

--------------------------
[...]

Didn't you hear? The President has directed NASA to get into the Muslim
outreach business.

--
"Socialism is a philosophy of failure,the creed of ignorance, and the
gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery"
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Hot, for an older woman. g Many good looking women fit that
trade-in mold.

--
Experience is a hard teacher because she gives
the test first, the lesson afterwards.
-- Vernon Sanders Law
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

I think she was born in the 70's, I recall when she started with CH2 as
the fumbling stumbling new kid back in the mid 90's. And I recall her
still infamous quote, "The airplane skidded into a crash."

Posted to rec.woodworking

in 1540119 20121014 042620 Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

I think she was born in the 70's, I recall when she started with CH2 as
the fumbling stumbling new kid back in the mid 90's. And I recall her
still infamous quote, "The airplane skidded into a crash."

What's wrong with that? Surely you can skid without crashing?

Posted to rec.woodworking

And sometimes, you just don't want them to have any brains.
Amen!

Funny... Can't tell you how many times I've heard that said about men.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/14/2012 2:33 AM, Bob Martin wrote:
in 1540119 20121014 042620 Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

I think she was born in the 70's, I recall when she started with CH2 as
the fumbling stumbling new kid back in the mid 90's. And I recall her
still infamous quote, "The airplane skidded into a crash."

What's wrong with that? Surely you can skid without crashing?

There was no crash to slid into. She used "crash" as an object rather
than an action.

Don't get me started on "over turned vehicle". Is over turning the same
thing as over steering??? Your turn a vehicle, can you under turn a
vehicle?

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Best watched with the volume on mute.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Dominique gain her fame in the days of faddish, overblown, bee stung
lips ... from day on you could lick her's and stick her to the ceiling.

Culturally, we've now moved on to big tits and over white teeth ...
along with upper gum showing, horse laugh smiles, spiked hair and 9 PM
shadow for what passes as the male of the species.

www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
http://gplus.to/eWoodShop
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 14 Oct 2012 10:11:49 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 10/14/2012 8:54 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Sat, 13 Oct 2012 22:26:20 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
I think she was born in the 70's, I recall when she started with CH2 as
the fumbling stumbling new kid back in the mid 90's. And I recall her
still infamous quote, "The airplane skidded into a crash."

Ouch!

Best watched with the volume on mute.

And a kleenex? knowing grin

--
Experience is a hard teacher because she gives
the test first, the lesson afterwards.
-- Vernon Sanders Law
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
We have a pretty nice looking anchor at CH2 in Houston. But she
traded
brains for looks. http://dominiquesachse.tv/

Hot, for an older woman. g Many good looking women fit that
trade-in mold.

I think she was born in the 70's, I recall when she started with CH2 as
the fumbling stumbling new kid back in the mid 90's. And I recall her
still infamous quote, "The airplane skidded into a crash."

Ouch!

Best watched with the volume on mute.

Dominique gain her fame in the days of faddish, overblown, bee stung
lips ... from day on you could lick her's and stick her to the ceiling.

The Jolie Era, eh?

Culturally, we've now moved on to big tits and over white teeth ...
along with upper gum showing, horse laugh smiles, spiked hair and 9 PM
shadow for what passes as the male of the species.

Ouch, once again. Gonna throw up...

--
Experience is a hard teacher because she gives
the test first, the lesson afterwards.
-- Vernon Sanders Law
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 14 Oct 2012 10:10:24 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 10/14/2012 2:33 AM, Bob Martin wrote:
in 1540119 20121014 042620 Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

I think she was born in the 70's, I recall when she started with CH2 as
the fumbling stumbling new kid back in the mid 90's. And I recall her
still infamous quote, "The airplane skidded into a crash."

What's wrong with that? Surely you can skid without crashing?

There was no crash to slid into. She used "crash" as an object rather
than an action.

She DE-gerunded it? How crass!

Don't get me started on "over turned vehicle". Is over turning the same
thing as over steering??? Your turn a vehicle, can you under turn a
vehicle?

No, you steer a vehicle, and have understeer and oversteer.
You overturn (aka: FLIP) Beemers, Exploders, and other SUVs.

--
Experience is a hard teacher because she gives
the test first, the lesson afterwards.
-- Vernon Sanders Law
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 12, 4:52*pm, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:
\
I have been following this too and it is fascinating. Like moving a
large two or three story house through a crowded city but in spades.
I stood in the shadow of the assembled shuttle in near launch
configuration at the rocket and space museum in Alabama a few years
ago and got a surprising perspective of how large it is

I don't know why, but it made me think about the Spruce Goose when it
was at Long Beach. I walked into the large, plastic dome near the
Queen Mary, saw the goose on the opposite side of the building and
thought "It ain't all that big." Then we walked across the floor, up
under the wings and I realized "Wow!".

RonB