Posted to rec.woodworking

Default The final word on sharpening?

So what actually gets a hand plane blade the sharpest? Wet stones? Arkansas stones? Scary sharp system? Strop and compound?

Thanks,

Mike

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
Michael wrote:

So what actually gets a hand plane blade the sharpest? Wet stones? Arkansas
stones? Scary sharp system? Strop and compound?

Yes.

--
I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I
like fishing because itıs the one thing I can think of that probably doesnıt. *
Posted to rec.woodworking

Michael wrote in
:

So what actually gets a hand plane blade the sharpest? Wet stones?
Arkansas stones? Scary sharp system? Strop and compound?

Thanks,

Mike

You.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Michael" wrote in message

So what actually gets a hand plane blade the sharpest? Wet stones? Arkansas
stones? Scary sharp system? Strop and compound?
================================================== ================================================== =======

All of the above. Take your pick.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Roy Roy is offline

On Sat, 29 Sep 2012 18:34:34 -0700 (PDT), Michael
wrote:

So what actually gets a hand plane blade the sharpest? Wet stones? Arkansas stones? Scary sharp system? Strop and compound?

Thanks,

Mike

Yep. Finish up with the stropping. It is the finest and final honing step.

All these methods work, you have to decide how you want to spend your money, and
that is strongly influenced by the method that works best for you.

Some folks have over a grand tied up in a tormek with all the jigs and bells and
whistles. Others use glass plates from the thrift store and 1/3 sheets of w/d
sandpaper with a total cost of $5-10. Other folks like waterstones or
oilstones. Depends on how your stick floats. They all work if you do your
part.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Michael" wrote in message
So what actually gets a hand plane blade the sharpest? Wet stones?
Arkansas stones? Scary sharp system? Strop and compound?

Thanks,

Mike

Understanding the principles of how to sharpen the blade.

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Michael" wrote in message
So what actually gets a hand plane blade the sharpest? Wet stones?
Arkansas stones? Scary sharp system? Strop and compound?

Thanks,

Mike

All of the above (or below) plus time and experience.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, September 29, 2012 6:34:34 PM UTC-7, Michael wrote:
So what actually gets a hand plane blade the sharpest? Wet stones? Arkansas stones? Scary sharp system? Strop and compound? Thanks, Mike

They are all fine as long as done correctly. I find stones a huge hassle and a whole new art to learn all on it's own.

I moved to a Work Sharp system and it is fricking nice. Kind of like scary I guess from what I know. No muss, no fuss. You need to be pretty careful flattening backs (wish the had a better method) but adding, freshining, micro bevling edges all super easy. I think nothing of freshining an edge in the middle of using a tool. I would never think of that with using a stone system.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote:
On Saturday, September 29, 2012 6:34:34 PM UTC-7, Michael wrote:
So what actually gets a hand plane blade the sharpest? Wet stones?
Arkansas stones? Scary sharp system? Strop and compound? Thanks, Mike

They are all fine as long as done correctly. I find stones a huge hassle
and a whole new art to learn all on it's own.

I moved to a Work Sharp system and it is fricking nice. Kind of like
scary I guess from what I know. No muss, no fuss. You need to be pretty
careful flattening backs (wish the had a better method) but adding,
freshining, micro bevling edges all super easy. I think nothing of
freshining an edge in the middle of using a tool. I would never think of
that with using a stone system.

+1

--
www.ewoodshop.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

That glass/paper idea is great. Mebbe scrap polished granite, as well, can
get tons of it free at a granite place.
Emory cloth comes, iirc, up to like 2400 grit, which ought to be like
stropping.
--
EA