Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Water based Stain tip

I have recently started using stains that are not oil based. Naturally
they raise the grain. Yes I have tried wetting the wood surface and
sanding before applying the stain but with less than desirable results.

Thinking about how I don't worry about dust and or the nibs that result
when using a gel varnish, I knock all those down and smooth the final
coat of varnish after it dries by rubbing a piece of paper, wrapped
around a block of wood, over the surface.

I tried this with the fresh stained surface that was rather rough,
smooth results.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I was given several gallons of different water based stains, when some company went out of business. I similarly use a very much crumpled brown paper bag or a piece of burlap to rub out for smoothness, before applying the finish coat(s).

The burlap works especially well on uneven surfaces, like curved chair legs & arms, turnings, etc., as when I touchup or refinish a piece that I'm reupholstering, no matter if using oil or water based stains. The burlap easily conforms to almost any curve, as you're rubbing (*fondling!) the piece.

*For those who appreciate "curved" furnitu
Like a good fetching woman, the mo curves, the mo betta!

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote

I am glad to hear my experience was not a fluke. ;~) Now if only I could
find some burlap.

If my farm boy experience is an indicator, burlap is a common material for
animal feed. So just get some hog feed at your local farm store and you
will be set. And you can raise some pigs in the back yard and get some good
pork for smoking and barbeque. You kill two birds with one stone! Happy to
help.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/20/12 10:11 PM, Leon wrote:
I have recently started using stains that are not oil based. Naturally
they raise the grain. Yes I have tried wetting the wood surface and
sanding before applying the stain but with less than desirable results.

Thinking about how I don't worry about dust and or the nibs that result
when using a gel varnish, I knock all those down and smooth the final
coat of varnish after it dries by rubbing a piece of paper, wrapped
around a block of wood, over the surface.

I tried this with the fresh stained surface that was rather rough,
smooth results.

That's what I started doing a few years ago and it works magic.
I get very, very smooth surfaces with the old brown grocery bags.
I posted something about it a while back and someone started a joke
about Festool coming out with $25 grocery bags.... :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

Burlap: A nearby upholsterer will likely have some scraps to give you. Also, your nearby sewing or fabric shop should have burlap, as they normally have some basic/DIY upholstery supplies.

*The old fashion brown burlap, not the new white synthetic burlap.

And I've used worn/used denim, also. It's course enough for some rubbing applications, as well.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/21/2012 10:55 AM, Lee Michaels wrote:

"Leon" lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote

I am glad to hear my experience was not a fluke. ;~) Now if only I
could find some burlap.

If my farm boy experience is an indicator, burlap is a common material
for animal feed. So just get some hog feed at your local farm store and
you will be set. And you can raise some pigs in the back yard and get
some good pork for smoking and barbeque. You kill two birds with one
stone! Happy to help.

+

LOL Yeah I know how to get burlap, but not by itself. Ill pass on the
pig farm. LOL
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/21/2012 11:15 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 9/20/12 10:11 PM, Leon wrote:
I have recently started using stains that are not oil based. Naturally
they raise the grain. Yes I have tried wetting the wood surface and
sanding before applying the stain but with less than desirable results.

Thinking about how I don't worry about dust and or the nibs that result
when using a gel varnish, I knock all those down and smooth the final
coat of varnish after it dries by rubbing a piece of paper, wrapped
around a block of wood, over the surface.

I tried this with the fresh stained surface that was rather rough,
smooth results.

That's what I started doing a few years ago and it works magic.
I get very, very smooth surfaces with the old brown grocery bags.
I posted something about it a while back and someone started a joke
about Festool coming out with $25 grocery bags.... :-)

I typically rub down with the printed CutLists after I am finished with
them. Too stiff for curves and such but the burlap sounds promising.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

I am glad to hear my experience was not a fluke. ;~) Now if only I
could find some burlap.

Home Depot, Garden Department. Usually outside where the garden edging
stuff is.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/21/2012 2:12 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Leon wrote:

I am glad to hear my experience was not a fluke. ;~) Now if only I
could find some burlap.

Home Depot, Garden Department. Usually outside where the garden edging
stuff is.

I'll take a look next time I am in there
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

I am glad to hear my experience was not a fluke. ;~) Now if only I
could find some burlap.

Home Depot, Garden Department. Usually outside where the garden
edging stuff is.

I'll take a look next time I am in there

It's used to keep deer and birds off of flowers and shrubs.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

I am glad to hear my experience was not a fluke. ;~) Now if only I
could find some burlap.

Home Depot, Garden Department. Usually outside where the garden
edging stuff is.

I'll take a look next time I am in there

It's used to keep deer and birds off of flowers and shrubs.

Up here where we have a real winter, I use it to wrap my less hardy
shrubs to prevent windburn.

Never used it for rubbing out a finish, will have to try it.

--
I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I
like fishing because itıs the one thing I can think of that probably doesnıt. *