Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Dovetail saw

From a personal note to myself:
Dovetails (9-2012, on recycled chest-of-drawers wood, ~7/16" thick)

Absolutely needed for hand-cut DT's: saw with *extremely* thin blade.

Roughly per Woodsmith vol 34 #202:
Used B&D 1/2" DT router bit with 2 positions of fence to cut tails on
one board, then clamp this onto top of pin board, very carefully
layout tails, umclamp and extend tails vertically onto side after
drawing line (both sides) for depth of cut.

Very carefully strip out center of pin lines on table saw, then finish
cutting tails with coping saw/Marples chisel. Sand/rasp/file to fit.

Doesn't work properly with Disston DT saw. Kerf jumps all over the
place, violates layout lines.

Note that the tails did not fit accurately b/c none of my saws would
allow accurately cutting on the layout lines.

I figger I could likely *start* an accurate cut with the chisel.

What saw would let me accurately follow such a chisel cut on the
layout lines? One of those Nipponese saws (which?)?

Thx,

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/20/2012 1:50 PM, Puddin' Man wrote:
From a personal note to myself:
[...]

http://www.woodcraft.com/PRODUCT/208...FS-RPAodP2YA0A
Posted to rec.woodworking

[...snip...]

What saw would let me accurately follow such a chisel cut on the
layout lines? One of those Nipponese saws (which?)?

Thx,

The Veritas saw that Leon recommended is a fine choice.

But you don't really need a chisel cut for dovetail work. What you
need is good sawing technique and some practice. Good technique,
especially not gripping the handle too tight, will make all the
difference.

But to make the cleanest cut for an edge that shows, such as a tenon
shoulder, you would scribe the line with a knife against the square,
then deepen it with the knife and then you would pare out a wedge
shaped slice from the waste side (with the knife or a chisel).

And be aware that a newly sharpened saw may have a bit too much set on
the left or right and want to drift in that direction. You can use a
pass or two on a sharpening stone to fix that.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 20 Sep 2012 13:50:49 -0500, Puddin' Man
wrote:

From a personal note to myself:
Dovetails (9-2012, on recycled chest-of-drawers wood, ~7/16" thick)

Absolutely needed for hand-cut DT's: saw with *extremely* thin blade.

Roughly per Woodsmith vol 34 #202:
Used B&D 1/2" DT router bit with 2 positions of fence to cut tails on
one board, then clamp this onto top of pin board, very carefully
layout tails, umclamp and extend tails vertically onto side after
drawing line (both sides) for depth of cut.

Very carefully strip out center of pin lines on table saw, then finish
cutting tails with coping saw/Marples chisel. Sand/rasp/file to fit.

Doesn't work properly with Disston DT saw. Kerf jumps all over the
place, violates layout lines.

Note that the tails did not fit accurately b/c none of my saws would
allow accurately cutting on the layout lines.

Resharpen it for rip cuts (no tooth set) and then take some time to
learn how to use it precisely, PM.

I figger I could likely *start* an accurate cut with the chisel.

What saw would let me accurately follow such a chisel cut on the
layout lines? One of those Nipponese saws (which?)?

Yes, my ryoba is a treat when cutting fine kerfs. I'd use it.
http://www.japanwoodworker.com/produ...apanWoodworker

I recently got an azibiki but haven't tried it for dovies yet.
http://www.japanwoodworker.com/produ...ept _id=13088

Razor saws rule!

--
I would be the most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people
who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 20, 3:20*pm, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:
On 9/20/2012 1:50 PM, Puddin' Man wrote:

*From a personal note to myself:
[...]

http://www.woodcraft.com/PRODUCT/208...FINECUT-DOVETA...

Same store, a bit cheaper at $16, but does a nice job --
easy, fast cut, no jumping -- if you stone out most of the set.
I use these for sawing guitar fret slots. Set can be reduced
to cut an 0.022" kerf before the blade binds.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Puddin' Man wrote:
From a personal note to myself:
[...]

Any decent dozuki.

Note: use carefully, the teeth are brittle and have a tendency to break off.
If they do, may be no big problem as long as you have enough length with
unbroken teeth to use. My favorite, 35+ year old dozuki has a few missing
teeth at both front & rear but middle is fine.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Maybe just ready for a change? Check it out...
http://www.floridaloghouse.net

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 21 Sep 2012 07:31:10 -0400, "dadiOH"
wrote:

Puddin' Man wrote:
What saw would let me accurately follow such a chisel cut on the
layout lines? One of those Nipponese saws (which?)?

Any decent dozuki.

Note: use carefully, the teeth are brittle and have a tendency to break off.
If they do, may be no big problem as long as you have enough length with
unbroken teeth to use. My favorite, 35+ year old dozuki has a few missing
teeth at both front & rear but middle is fine.

I've bent a few teeth on my ryoba but none have broken off yet. I
really should have built a portable till for it years ago...

Maybe just ready for a change? Check it out...
http://www.floridaloghouse.net

You STILL have that old place? Put the darned thing on half-price
sale. You'll off it in no time. Just don't advertise the gawdawful
masses of Floridian bugs, swampagators, the nasty stormfronts, the
tornadoes, the hurricanes, or all the illegals.

--
Life is like one big Mardi Gras. But instead of showing your boobs,
show people your brain, and if they like what they see, you'll have
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Puddin' Man wrote:
What saw would let me accurately follow such a chisel cut on the
layout lines? One of those Nipponese saws (which?)?

Any decent dozuki.

Note: use carefully, the teeth are brittle and have a tendency to
break off. If they do, may be no big problem as long as you have
enough length with unbroken teeth to use. My favorite, 35+ year old
dozuki has a few missing teeth at both front & rear but middle is
fine.

I've bent a few teeth on my ryoba but none have broken off yet. I
really should have built a portable till for it years ago...

Dozukis are much more delicate than ryobas. My ryoba - same age as the
dozuki - has no broken OR bent teeth. All my dozukis do.

Maybe just ready for a change? Check it out...
http://www.floridaloghouse.net

You STILL have that old place? Put the darned thing on half-price
sale. You'll off it in no time. Just don't advertise the gawdawful
masses of Floridian bugs, swampagators, the nasty stormfronts, the
tornadoes, the hurricanes, or all the illegals.

You forgot lack of snow No place in the US better for weather except
Hawaii and it is too congested, pricey, etc. Had almost 40 years of it.

We really haven't been trying to sell it. The rental income is nice and we
don't mind waiting a while for the market to get stronger. Which it is.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Maybe just ready for a change? Check it out...
http://www.floridaloghouse.net

Posted to rec.woodworking

"dadiOH" writes:

You forgot lack of snow No place in the US better for weather except
Hawaii and it is too congested, pricey, etc. Had almost 40 years of it.

As I understand it, San Diego has the best weather in the continental US.

San Jose is a close second.

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/climate/year...ea r&stn=KSJC

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Puddin' Man wrote:
What saw would let me accurately follow such a chisel cut on the
layout lines? One of those Nipponese saws (which?)?

Any decent dozuki.

Note: use carefully, the teeth are brittle and have a tendency to
break off. If they do, may be no big problem as long as you have
enough length with unbroken teeth to use. My favorite, 35+ year old
dozuki has a few missing teeth at both front & rear but middle is
fine.

I've bent a few teeth on my ryoba but none have broken off yet. I
really should have built a portable till for it years ago...

Dozukis are much more delicate than ryobas. My ryoba - same age as the
dozuki - has no broken OR bent teeth. All my dozukis do.

I'm glad I've stuck with a ryoba. How often do you use yours? I just
realized that mine is 9-ish years old and didn't seem to be cutting as
well as I thought it should this morning, shortening a piece of
hemlock handrail. Time for a replacement blade.

Maybe just ready for a change? Check it out...
http://www.floridaloghouse.net

You STILL have that old place? Put the darned thing on half-price
sale. You'll off it in no time. Just don't advertise the gawdawful
masses of Floridian bugs, swampagators, the nasty stormfronts, the
tornadoes, the hurricanes, or all the illegals.

You forgot lack of snow No place in the US better for weather except
Hawaii and it is too congested, pricey, etc. Had almost 40 years of it.

Possible Orlando-area Sales Pitch:

"In between our tornadoes and hurricanes (which blow the bugs away),
the weather is very nice, if you like humidity."

We really haven't been trying to sell it. The rental income is nice and we
don't mind waiting a while for the market to get stronger. Which it is.

I've seen that sig file for several years now, is why I mentioned it.
I change my sigs every few days.

--
Life is like one big Mardi Gras. But instead of showing your boobs,
show people your brain, and if they like what they see, you'll have
more beads than you know what to do with.
-- Ellen DeGeneres, Tulane Commencement Speech, 2009
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 20 Sep 2012 13:50:49 -0500, Puddin' Man
wrote:

From a personal note to myself:
Dovetails (9-2012, on recycled chest-of-drawers wood, ~7/16" thick)

Absolutely needed for hand-cut DT's: saw with *extremely* thin blade.

[...snip...]

If you need very thin, you might check these out:

http://www.zonatool.net/razor-saws.html

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Puddin' Man wrote:
What saw would let me accurately follow such a chisel cut on the
layout lines? One of those Nipponese saws (which?)?

Any decent dozuki.

Note: use carefully, the teeth are brittle and have a tendency to
break off. If they do, may be no big problem as long as you have
enough length with unbroken teeth to use. My favorite, 35+ year
old dozuki has a few missing teeth at both front & rear but middle
is fine.

I've bent a few teeth on my ryoba but none have broken off yet. I
really should have built a portable till for it years ago...

Dozukis are much more delicate than ryobas. My ryoba - same age as
the dozuki - has no broken OR bent teeth. All my dozukis do.

I'm glad I've stuck with a ryoba. How often do you use yours?

Rarely. I use the dozuki(s) with some regularity...whenever I need a
precise cut on something smallish. For grosser things, it is easier/faster
to use a jig/table/radial saw than the ryoba. It does come in handy on
occasion if I'm where power isn't.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Maybe just ready for a change? Check it out...
http://www.floridaloghouse.net

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 21 Sep 2012 15:26:29 -0700, Jim Weisgram
If you need very thin, you might check these out:
http://www.zonatool.net/razor-saws.html

And if you want really, really thin for dovetails, then these are the
ultimate solution. Only, they cost an arm and a leg. Had one for
awhile, but sold it when I decided I needed something capable of
cutting wider pieces.

http://www.bridgecitytools.com/defau...maker-pro.html
Posted to rec.woodworking

" wrote:

[...]

OP: I agree with everything Russell has said above, and love my Adria
DT saw. That said, getting good dovetails is much more about technique
and practice than it is about equipment. Practice and a $19 hardware
store saw will get you much better results than you will get with a
fine dovetail saw and poor technique.

Either Japanese style or western saws will yield excellent results in
the hands of someone skilled in their use. You can see lots of
beautiful examples of both on the web, and can read lots of pointless
bickering about which is best. While my personal preference is for a
western-style saw like the Adria, if you are not willing to put in the
time to practice, I think that you will get better results with an
inexpensive Japanese-style saw.

FS Dovetail Jig Howard Woodworking 0 March 9th 06 09:28 PM
PAY - Dovetail Jig J T Woodworking 0 January 30th 06 01:05 AM
DOVETAIL JIG J T Woodworking 0 January 30th 06 12:52 AM
first dovetail [email protected] Woodworking 6 May 14th 05 08:15 AM
How to Make DoveTail Joints? Dovetail Saws charlie b Woodworking 5 January 27th 04 02:46 PM