Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Default first dovetail

Did my first dovetail joint tonight. By hand. Followed the article by
Mattia.
Went together on first try with just a little cleaning. Not terrible
considering it was this horrible finger joint pine i had lying around from
some closet demolition. It didn't take to chiseling across the grain very
well. My chisels could probably of been sharper.

It took about 2 hours to do 3 pins and tails but a fair bit of that was
sharpening chisels. Had to do that by hand too as I don't have a sharpening
jig yet. Trying to get my head around this craft before I go spend a
boatload on tools. No dovetail saw either. Had to use a backsaw. All in
all was pretty pleased. Can't wait to try again with some real tools and
wood.

ml