Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Old Shops

I was driving home from the hardware store today and saw a sign for an
estate sale. Those things are often a bit sad. Because somebody's whole
life is boxed up and sold. Often without any reverence for the folks who
lived that life.

I walked down a long sloping driveway to a big garage. I walked into it and
saw a wonderful shop. All the tools have been presold. This old guy worked
in his shop until almost 90. The table saw had been removed and a couple
other pieces. BIG windows on two walls of the shop. It was bright in
there. Lots of shelves built in to the rafters and on the walls around the
shop. Lots of drawers and work surfaces down two walls.

The most interesting thing about the shop were all the OLD tools. There was
an old Dewalt radial arm saw. That is the only thing I recognized. Very
old, obscure equipment was the rule in this shop. Everything was well
maintained and operational. All with brand names I never heard of. Drill
presses, a sharpening station, sanding machines, down draft tables, and at
least 5 machines that I had no idea what they were. And a number of old
machines, with big wheels (drive pulleys) made of cast iron. I think they
were belt driven. Again, no idea what they were. I would have loved to
talk to this guy and have him explain to me what all this old, operational
equipment did. It is a little sad that I never got to find out about it or
him. Life goes on, I guess.

It was nice visiting an old shop. Those things are rapidly disappearing. I
enjoyed it though.

Electronics shops Yogi Prima Yudha Metalworking 0 June 2nd 12 12:21 PM
Screwfix Shops ... How to ... Gordon Henderson UK diy 9 August 15th 09 08:45 PM
Wallpaper shops Sam UK diy 4 November 24th 07 09:56 AM
Bye Bye to Home Shops azotic Metalworking 7 August 30th 07 04:07 PM
Clean shops. DejaVU Metalworking 8 July 19th 03 12:18 AM