Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Screwfix Shops ... How to ...

Might sound like a dumb question but after the frustrations of the local
sheds, I need/want to go further afield and there are 2 newish screwfix
shops near(ish) to me open tomorow morning... (Exeter & Plymouth)

I've mail ordered from them in the past, but what's the best way to get
stuff from the shop - are they browse or pick, or a counter service?

ie. is it best to walk in with a list of catalogue numbers, or just
browse and pick in the shop?

Cheers,

Gordon
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Gordon Henderson" wrote in message
Might sound like a dumb question but after the frustrations of the local
sheds, I need/want to go further afield and there are 2 newish screwfix
shops near(ish) to me open tomorow morning... (Exeter & Plymouth)

I've mail ordered from them in the past, but what's the best way to get
stuff from the shop - are they browse or pick, or a counter service?

ie. is it best to walk in with a list of catalogue numbers, or just
browse and pick in the shop?

Cheers,

Gordon

They consist of a few display items and a counter where you place and pay
for your order - a 'short' time later it all arrives 'from the back' and you
leave.

Make up your list from the website and hand the item numbers to the order
clerk.

The only downside is when they haven't got something and you then have to
order it on line and pay a delivery charge because you haven't exceeded the
free delivery level bcause you got most of your items locally.

This is one reason I don't often go to my local branch unless I need a very
small value order and very quickly. I look forward to the day when you can
check on line if the local branch has everything in stock.

Peter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 15, 4:14*pm, Gordon Henderson wrote:
Might sound like a dumb question but after the frustrations of the local
sheds, I need/want to go further afield and there are 2 newish screwfix
shops near(ish) to me open tomorow morning... (Exeter & Plymouth)

I've mail ordered from them in the past, but what's the best way to get
stuff from the shop - are they browse or pick, or a counter service?

ie. is it best to walk in with a list of catalogue numbers, or just
browse and pick in the shop?

Cheers,

Gordon

Same setup as argos. I prefer to make my choices sitting somewhere
comfortable, then go in.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Not a shop - trade counter.

Figure out what you want from the catalogue or online, hand over list
of numbers and quantities.

Unless they're nearby, there's no advantage over ordering off the web
except the lack of low-order delivery charge.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
RubberBiker wrote:
Not a shop - trade counter.

Figure out what you want from the catalogue or online, hand over list
of numbers and quantities.

Unless they're nearby, there's no advantage over ordering off the web
except the lack of low-order delivery charge.

And that I can get it at 10am tomorow morning!

All I needed for this weekend was a handfull of 15mm end-caps and as
they're just for a temporary fix to be thrown away in a weeks time I'm
damned if I'm paying the prices that the sheds wanted for their posh ones!

Thanks to everyone who's replied! Trying to "be prepared" and all that -
makes it easier.

Cheers,

Gordon

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Gordon Henderson wrote:
Might sound like a dumb question but after the frustrations of the
local sheds, I need/want to go further afield and there are 2 newish
screwfix shops near(ish) to me open tomorow morning... (Exeter &
Plymouth)

I've mail ordered from them in the past, but what's the best way to
get stuff from the shop - are they browse or pick, or a counter
service?

ie. is it best to walk in with a list of catalogue numbers, or just
browse and pick in the shop?

To add to what others have said, there is no minimum order charge, so if you
want a box of screws @ £3 you can buy them. Also, if an item is out of
stock, they can get it for you by 10:00 am next day - possibly not so useful
in your case.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Gordon Henderson wrote:
Might sound like a dumb question but after the frustrations of the
local sheds, I need/want to go further afield and there are 2 newish
screwfix shops near(ish) to me open tomorow morning... (Exeter &
Plymouth)

I've mail ordered from them in the past, but what's the best way to
get stuff from the shop - are they browse or pick, or a counter
service?

ie. is it best to walk in with a list of catalogue numbers, or just
browse and pick in the shop?

To add to what others have said, there is no minimum order charge, so if you
want a box of screws @ £3 you can buy them. Also, if an item is out of
stock, they can get it for you by 10:00 am next day - possibly not so useful
in your case.

Actually - it would be if they could get stuff in that they ordered on
Sunday morning by 10am Monday!

Cheers,

Gordon
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 15, 4:26*pm, "Peter Andrews"
wrote:

The only downside is when they haven't got something and you then have to
order it on line and pay a delivery charge because you haven't exceeded the
free delivery level bcause you got most of your items locally.

AFAIR theres a wheeze whereby you add a gift voucher to the order to
exceed the minimum order charge. Next time you order you cash the
voucher in with the order and order another voucher if needed to get
over the minimum order charge etc etc.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Gio Gio is offline

"Gordon Henderson" wrote in message
Might sound like a dumb question but after the frustrations of the local
sheds, I need/want to go further afield and there are 2 newish screwfix
shops near(ish) to me open tomorow morning... (Exeter & Plymouth)

I've mail ordered from them in the past, but what's the best way to get
stuff from the shop - are they browse or pick, or a counter service?

ie. is it best to walk in with a list of catalogue numbers, or just
browse and pick in the shop?

Cheers,

Gordon

Hi Gordon,
you can actually phone the general free phone enquiries number and find out
from them if the items you want are in stock at the branch and the quantity
they have. Last month I was after some odds and ends and the call ensured
the trip was not a wasted one. (assuming of course their computer records
are correct :-) )

Gio

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/08/2009 16:28 RubberBiker wrote:

Unless they're nearby, there's no advantage over ordering off the web
except the lack of low-order delivery charge.

If you want less than £50s worth try Toolstation for their free delivery
on orders £10 and over.

Shops - Downturn (OT) John UK diy 161 January 11th 09 01:19 PM
Wallpaper shops Sam UK diy 4 November 24th 07 09:56 AM
Bye Bye to Home Shops azotic Metalworking 7 August 30th 07 04:07 PM
So. Cal anodizing shops? Gunner Metalworking 7 January 1st 05 11:20 PM
Clean shops. DejaVU Metalworking 8 July 19th 03 12:18 AM