DejaVU

Default Clean shops.

HaroldA102 scribed in
:

I WORK IN A SHOP YOU WOULD THINK
THAY WANT MORE CLEANING THAN PARTS MADE!!!!! THE BOSS ASK ME TO
ORGANIZE THE VIDMAR I TOLD HIM I DO NOT KNOW WHAT ORGANIZATION IS
...HE SAID DOES THIS LOOK LIKE IT BELONGS HERE . SO I LABELED IT
AND PUT IT BACK

Harold, please stop SHOUTING

swarf, steam and wind

--
David Forsyth -:- the email address is real /"\
http://terrapin.ru.ac.za/~iwdf/welcome.html \ /
jitney

what should go to the dumpster. I would be in the dumpster after work
looking to see if they had thrown away anything interesting.
Dumpster-stuff is fair game for the garage at home.

I would also check the machine shop scrap bins whenever I walked by.
Many times I would find a cache of drill bits, mill cutters and a file
or two. I can just imagine... the guy's boss walks by saying "This
area is a pigsty! Clean it up!".
(snip)
-I'm probably stating the obvious, but sell it on eBay!-Jitney
Roy Hauer

Thats what they used to do where I worked. The section chief would
walk through and say clean this place up NOW.......every drill bit
cutter or whatever always was promptly thrown n the trash......I even
remember when folks would regularly throw away brand new packs of
drill bits and such just so the supply system kept a full supply on
hand for when they needed them. If a demand was not shown the items
got dropped, so to keep the demand up, and not have to fill out
paperwork for a reissue or initial issue, it was easier to trash
everything in the supply point one or two times a month. Still goes on
today, but I think a good percentage winds up oin Ebay from someone
dragging it home and capitolizing on the fraud / waste.

On 12 Jul 2003 11:41:04 -0700, (jitney) wrote:

x-what should go to the dumpster. I would be in the dumpster after work
x-looking to see if they had thrown away anything interesting.
x-Dumpster-stuff is fair game for the garage at home.
x-
x-I would also check the machine shop scrap bins whenever I walked by.
x-Many times I would find a cache of drill bits, mill cutters and a file
x-or two. I can just imagine... the guy's boss walks by saying "This
x-area is a pigsty! Clean it up!".
x-(snip)
x--I'm probably stating the obvious, but sell it on eBay!-Jitney

--
Visit my website:
http://www.frugalmachinist.com
Gerald Miller

On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 19:06:51 GMT, Roy Hauer
wrote:

Thats what they used to do where I worked. The section chief would
walk through and say clean this place up NOW.......every drill bit
cutter or whatever always was promptly thrown n the trash......I even
remember when folks would regularly throw away brand new packs of
drill bits and such just so the supply system kept a full supply on
hand for when they needed them. If a demand was not shown the items
got dropped, so to keep the demand up, and not have to fill out
paperwork for a reissue or initial issue, it was easier to trash
everything in the supply point one or two times a month. Still goes on
today, but I think a good percentage winds up oin Ebay from someone
dragging it home and capitolizing on the fraud / waste.

Many years ago, I worked in quarters adjacent to a gov't maintenance
facility. The facility manager, over the years, had developed a good
concept of his requirements in disposable stores to enable his four
man staff to work efficiently, and had built stock accordingly. One
weekend, the manager was an accident victim and monday afternoon, a
bean counter arrived from headquarters to review the facility and
appoint the shop foreman as manager. Late that evening, I got a
frantic call from the foreman asking my assistance in moving stores
into hiding in my area to preserve them from destruction by the bean
counter as "inventory over and above authorized levels" One example
was that only two spare outer lenses were authorized for the hood worn
by the chap doing heavy duty sand blasting (he used a new one every
morning and again after lunch, plus an occasional replacement for
accidental breakage)
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
clare @ snyder.on .ca

On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 20:41:30 GMT, Gerald Miller
wrote:

[...]

The average bean counter can put an efficient business out of business
in about 18 months if given free reign. No concept of reality, and a
slave to "process".

Ed Sievers

I am a self admitted slob in my shop, but recently found some great metal
box's scrapped from the Florida vote system. They held punched cards,
and was lucky enough to find an aluminum baking rack on wheels they just
nested in. Now I have a rack of 20 filled with small odds & ends that I
can move freely around the shop.
The local scrap dealer in Ft.Myers is kind enough to let people wander at
will in his yard to pick, and choose. Hope nothing happens to end it all as it
is a real candy store for me.
Things are a lot neater now.....well at least until all the box's get full.
Ed Sievers

In article ,
says...

I am a died-in-the-wool junkie. That is, EVERYTHING looks like raw
material to me. It is a character fault, but one which my boss
recognized and in this recognization, kept me out of the cleanup
details. He knew I would just put everything in boxes and find a
place to store the boxes. Whenever the lab needed a cleaning, he
would assign people to it that could make reasonable decisions about
what should go to the dumpster. I would be in the dumpster after work
looking to see if they had thrown away anything interesting.
Dumpster-stuff is fair game for the garage at home.

I would also check the machine shop scrap bins whenever I walked by.
Many times I would find a cache of drill bits, mill cutters and a file
or two. I can just imagine... the guy's boss walks by saying "This
area is a pigsty! Clean it up!".
The machinist is busy, working on something he knows is hot. So he
gets a box, sweeps everything from his bench into the box and throws
it into the dumpster. He can get new drills, files, etc. from the
tool crib for asking anyway.

Brownnsharp

Jim K

I'm not a filthy slob, but I do admit my workshop in the basement is
better organized than the rest of my house. Of course that will change
once the wife finally moves in (long story).

Roy Hauer

Just think, you may be holding one of those boxes that contained the
ballots from the Bush/Gore campaign. I just know some fool on ebay
would buy em at a good price if they knew that. May even get some
buying them just to make sure there was not any ballots left in them
that should have been counted, and just to be fair some that would buy
them just to make sure a ballot did not get counted ;-)

On 16 Jul 2003 05:11:59 -0700, Ed Sievers
wrote:

x-I am a self admitted slob in my shop, but recently found some great metal
x-box's scrapped from the Florida vote system. They held punched cards,
x-and was lucky enough to find an aluminum baking rack on wheels they just
x-nested in. Now I have a rack of 20 filled with small odds & ends that I
x-can move freely around the shop.
x-The local scrap dealer in Ft.Myers is kind enough to let people wander at
x-will in his yard to pick, and choose. Hope nothing happens to end it all as it
x-is a real candy store for me.
x-Things are a lot neater now.....well at least until all the box's get full.
x-Ed Sievers
x-
x-
x-In article ,
x-says...
x-
x-I am a died-in-the-wool junkie. That is, EVERYTHING looks like raw
x-material to me. It is a character fault, but one which my boss
x-recognized and in this recognization, kept me out of the cleanup
x-details. He knew I would just put everything in boxes and find a
x-place to store the boxes. Whenever the lab needed a cleaning, he
x-would assign people to it that could make reasonable decisions about
x-what should go to the dumpster. I would be in the dumpster after work
x-looking to see if they had thrown away anything interesting.
x-Dumpster-stuff is fair game for the garage at home.
x-
x-I would also check the machine shop scrap bins whenever I walked by.
x-Many times I would find a cache of drill bits, mill cutters and a file
x-or two. I can just imagine... the guy's boss walks by saying "This
x-area is a pigsty! Clean it up!".
x-The machinist is busy, working on something he knows is hot. So he
x-gets a box, sweeps everything from his bench into the box and throws
x-it into the dumpster. He can get new drills, files, etc. from the
x-tool crib for asking anyway.
x-
x-Brownnsharp

--
Visit my website:
http://www.frugalmachinist.com
Contents: foundry and general metal working and lots of related projects.
Regards
Roy aka Chipmaker // Foxeye
Opinions are strictly those of my wife....I have had no input whatsoever.
Remove capital A from chipmAkr for correct email address
ERich10983

The local scrap dealer in Ft.Myers is kind enough to let people wander at
will in his yard to pick, and choose. Hope nothing happens to end it all as
it
is a real candy store for me.

Where in Fort Myers? I spend three+ months in Alva volunteering with the US
Army Corps of Engineers. We go back to the same position teaching water safety
in the local elementary schools this December.

Earle Rich
Mont Vernon, NH

video on plastering TXXT123 UK diy 9 September 2nd 04 11:21 PM
plastering Jon W UK diy 12 March 8th 04 11:13 PM
How to clean up an old hardwood filing cabinet? Jake UK diy 12 September 23rd 03 06:27 PM
How can I clean ceramic floor tiles after laying them? Jon Weaver UK diy 2 September 18th 03 01:13 PM