Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Wardrobe

On 9/14/2012 11:19 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 9/14/2012 8:32 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:

My fear was that I'd have trouble keeping the router square with only a
1.5" surface for the plate to ride on. Someone with more skill and
confidence might not have that problem. That notwithstanding, the plane
did a nice job and I wouldn't hesitate to do it that way again.

That's where a laminate trimmer comes in handy, like the Bosch Colt.

I have one, but I still wasn't confident that I wouldn't let the thing
tilt at some point, gouging out the edging.

My problem with using a plane on plywood banding is the sheer thinness
of veneer in today's plywood. Even with my sharp, low angle, Veritas
block plane, I've knicked about as much veneer as I've gouged with a
router down through the years ... sometimes the grain just works against
you.

In my case, the edging was solid...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguari...0027/lightbox/

.... and the rabbet plane's "fence" made it impossible to cut anything
but the edge piece, handy for a guy like me. I had actually made a small
mock-up with the same materials (but only nailed together) as a test
before I did the trimming on the desktop.

That said, I trimmed all the banding on these parts yesterday with a top
bearing, flush trim, bit in the router table, with a split fence and
featherboard:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...30727675753 8

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...49653985780754

My work piece was 72" x 32", so the router table was out.

Much less chance of a screw-up when you're on a deadline, out of
material, and with no spare parts that would take hours to re-cut if you
slipped. ... and that is ALWAYS when it happens.

No deadline but my own, but I was also well motivated not to screw up
what had cost a good bit of my time.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Swingman wrote in
:

On 9/13/2012 8:13 PM, Amy Guarino wrote:
On Sep 13, 5:59 pm, Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

If size is still a concern, there's all kinds of "knock down" style
fasteners that will allow you to finish the project in the shop,
disassemble it and reassemble in the house.

There's something I hadn't thought of. Any pointers to a source?

These are, above and beyond the pale, the coolest thing going these
days ... if you can find/afford them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaN-Emvizq8

http://swissinvis.com/

The latter will give you North America contact info.

Didn't look at the second link. Is this the same as what I had seen
before? grin Have you any idea of the costs?

--
Best regards
Han

lighting up a wardrobe [email protected] UK diy 5 August 21st 07 06:10 PM
Wardrobe Mirror yshaikh01 UK diy 4 April 30th 07 05:32 PM
Low-height wardrobe? [email protected] UK diy 0 January 22nd 06 09:49 PM
WTB: wardrobe hardware Mungo UK diy 2 January 2nd 06 06:38 PM
Wardrobe locks Graham Jones UK diy 1 January 27th 05 11:41 AM