Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Wooden Safe

Hi

I got this crazy idea for the winter - to build a safe in style of "Franz Jäger", used in a series on Danish movies. The safe does not exist in the real world. E.g
http://www.erzgebirgische-holzkunst..../4E68/B177.jpg
and there are much more on google

The door is causing some thoughts. I think of using 2 levels of wood plates, so there will be a inner and outer box. The door will be "leveled" too, in order to close correctly.
The hinges would be "integrated", but that would meaning milling it in the the safe wall, making it thinner thereby weaker.

I was wondering, if anyone have ever made such a thing?
Or any experience with safe doors or locking mechanism?

Sonnich
Posted to rec.woodworking

Sonnich Jensen wrote:
Hi

I got this crazy idea for the winter - to build a safe in style of
"Franz Jäger", used in a series on Danish movies. The safe does not
exist in the real world. E.g
http://www.erzgebirgische-holzkunst..../4E68/B177.jpg
and there are much more on google

The door is causing some thoughts. I think of using 2 levels of wood
plates, so there will be a inner and outer box. The door will be
"leveled" too, in order to close correctly.
The hinges would be "integrated", but that would meaning milling it
in the the safe wall, making it thinner thereby weaker.

I was wondering, if anyone have ever made such a thing?
Or any experience with safe doors or locking mechanism?

Other than the fact that it looks cool, and is fun to build... why would
anyone want to build a safe out of wood?

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike Marlow wrote the following on 9/12/2012 4:23 PM (ET):
Sonnich Jensen wrote:
[...]

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike Marlow wrote:
Sonnich Jensen wrote:
Hi

I got this crazy idea for the winter - to build a safe in style of
"Franz Jäger", used in a series on Danish movies. The safe does not
exist in the real world. E.g
http://www.erzgebirgische-holzkunst..../4E68/B177.jpg
and there are much more on google

The door is causing some thoughts. I think of using 2 levels of wood
plates, so there will be a inner and outer box. The door will be
"leveled" too, in order to close correctly.
The hinges would be "integrated", but that would meaning milling it
in the the safe wall, making it thinner thereby weaker.

I was wondering, if anyone have ever made such a thing?
Or any experience with safe doors or locking mechanism?

Other than the fact that it looks cool, and is fun to build... why
would anyone want to build a safe out of wood?

Total absence of woodpeckers?

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , says...

Sonnich Jensen wrote:
Hi

I got this crazy idea for the winter - to build a safe in style of
"Franz Jäger", used in a series on Danish movies. The safe does not
exist in the real world. E.g
http://www.erzgebirgische-holzkunst..../4E68/B177.jpg
and there are much more on google

The door is causing some thoughts. I think of using 2 levels of wood
plates, so there will be a inner and outer box. The door will be
"leveled" too, in order to close correctly.
The hinges would be "integrated", but that would meaning milling it
in the the safe wall, making it thinner thereby weaker.

I was wondering, if anyone have ever made such a thing?
Or any experience with safe doors or locking mechanism?

Other than the fact that it looks cool, and is fun to build... why would
anyone want to build a safe out of wood?

It looks cool and is fun to build?

FWIW, there's a complete step by step for making a wooden safe in the
book "Box by Box". The one in the book is a small one intended to be a
child's bank, but the same principle should work for a larger one.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, September 12, 2012 11:22:52 PM UTC+3, Mike Marlow wrote:
Sonnich Jensen wrote:

Hi

I got this crazy idea for the winter - to build a safe in style of

"Franz Jäger", used in a series on Danish movies. The safe does not

exist in the real world. E.g

http://www.erzgebirgische-holzkunst..../4E68/B177.jpg

and there are much more on google

The door is causing some thoughts. I think of using 2 levels of wood

plates, so there will be a inner and outer box. The door will be

"leveled" too, in order to close correctly.

The hinges would be "integrated", but that would meaning milling it

in the the safe wall, making it thinner thereby weaker.

I was wondering, if anyone have ever made such a thing?

Or any experience with safe doors or locking mechanism?

Other than the fact that it looks cool, and is fun to build... why would

anyone want to build a safe out of wood?

As I wrote it was used in Danish movies and a part of danish culture today, and it looks cool, yes. Fun to build to as Bill mentions.
And I can think of several uses of it.

So, why not for this winters project?

Maybe I fill it with bottle for a part at some time?
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , says...

Sonnich Jensen wrote:

[...]

Could you scan that?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 12 Sep 2012 16:23:04 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
Other than the fact that it looks cool, and is fun to build... why would
anyone want to build a safe out of wood?

So it will float in case any would be thieves try to make off with it
in a leaky boat.
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
Sonnich Jensen wrote:

FWIW, there's a complete step by step for making a wooden safe in the

book "Box by Box". The one in the book is a small one intended to be a

child's bank, but the same principle should work for a larger one.

Could you scan that?

Actually, there's no need to scan it...

http://books.google.com/books?id=OS7...ntcover&dq=box
+by+box&source=bl&ots=2LHQT2KBAF&sig=XDgNvz0ngertc knIwIRrHMyIj4o&hl=en&s
a=X&ei=Fb9RUMOSMoa_0QGm04CwBw&ved=0CDYQ6AEwAA#v=on epage&q=box%20by%20box
&f=false

If the link breaks up in your news reader, you may have to cut and
paste it into your browser.

Joe
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Just Another Joe" wrote in message
In article ,
Sonnich Jensen wrote:

FWIW, there's a complete step by step for making a wooden safe in the

book "Box by Box". The one in the book is a small one intended to be a

child's bank, but the same principle should work for a larger one.

Could you scan that?

Actually, there's no need to scan it...

http://books.google.com/books?id=OS7...ntcover&dq=box
+by+box&source=bl&ots=2LHQT2KBAF&sig=XDgNvz0ngertc knIwIRrHMyIj4o&hl=en&s
a=X&ei=Fb9RUMOSMoa_0QGm04CwBw&ved=0CDYQ6AEwAA#v=on epage&q=box%20by%20box
&f=false

If the link breaks up in your news reader, you may have to cut and
paste it into your browser.

Unfortunately, that is a preview only... not the whole book. I didn't see
the safe in the few pages shown.

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
says...

Sonnich Jensen wrote:

FWIW, there's a complete step by step for making a wooden safe in the

book "Box by Box". The one in the book is a small one intended to be a

child's bank, but the same principle should work for a larger one.

Could you scan that?

Actually, there's no need to scan it...

http://books.google.com/books?id=OS7...ntcover&dq=box
+by+box&source=bl&ots=2LHQT2KBAF&sig=XDgNvz0ngertc knIwIRrHMyIj4o&hl=en&s
a=X&ei=Fb9RUMOSMoa_0QGm04CwBw&ved=0CDYQ6AEwAA#v=on epage&q=box%20by%20box
&f=false

If the link breaks up in your news reader, you may have to cut and
paste it into your browser.

Unfortunately, that is a preview only... not the whole book. I didn't see
the safe in the few pages shown.

If you've got Amazon Prime you can borrow it for free for a month. If
you don't it's available for Kindle for $11.99. Note that you don't
need a Kindle--there are free readers for PC, Mac, Iphone, and quite a
lot of other stuff.

If neither of those is a viable option let me know and I'll see if can
find my copy.