Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Shadow Box coffee table - Ping Han

A guy in Florida just emailed me about the possibility of building a
shadow box coffee table for his Civil War artifacts.

Have you started on yours yet?

I'll probably use the same design we came up with a few months back.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Swingman wrote in
:

A guy in Florida just emailed me about the possibility of building a
shadow box coffee table for his Civil War artifacts.

Have you started on yours yet?

I'll probably use the same design we came up with a few months back.

I have the wood for it, I think (I thought I had ordered some of the
quartersawn white oak as 2x4, but it came all 4/4 thick, so I probably
will have to glue up the legs). The workshop/basement has been a
terrible mess because I had insulating done in the attic and around the
basement where the foundation meets the framed walls. Things are slowly
getting into some kind of order ...

As practice, I am close to finishing up a "sofa table" for behind our
sofa, in the same style, but higher, narrower and longer. That is being
made from recycled pine and/or fir. It will NOT have a shelf close under
the glass top.

I am still not quite 100% recovered from this horribly bad bout of
whooping cough, so I am doing things really slow.

All that explanation before I ask, what can I help with?

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/12/2012 4:13 PM, Han wrote:
Swingman wrote in

[...]

Nothing really, just curious and checking to see if you had made any
progress on perfecting that design. If I do this job, there will be a
hinged apron for access, and the box depth itself will be close to 5",
which will change things around quiet a bit from the original.

I'm envious of your working on a sofa table ... my long planned sofa
table keeps getting put on the back burner. Did buy the leg stock (1 3/4
x 1 3/4) recently, but got no further than that. But, I did make an
animated video of my design some months back just for grins, so far it's
as far as I've ever gotten on owning an actual sofa table g:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0ZmNRoNduk&feature=plcp

One of these days ... cobbler's kids are the last to have shoes.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote
But, I did make an animated video of my design some months back just for
grins, so far it's as far as I've ever gotten on owning an actual sofa
table g:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0ZmNRoNduk&feature=plcp

I don't want to criticize, but wouldn't it be hard to build such a table if
it keeps moving around like that?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Swingman wrote in
news
On 9/12/2012 4:13 PM, Han wrote:
Swingman wrote in

[...]

Neat!! Mine won't have the drawers, and the upper aprons/rails are 2"
wide only. The lower rails are 3". And mine will have a shelf between
the lower rails, resting on a cleat, as in the original design from the
magazine. I am putting it together with dominos, so there won't be
through tenons. The top will be glass in a frame. I was fighting that
frame, because the glass kept either being squeezed or too loose. Now I
sort of gave up, and it will be loose in the shalow rabbet formed by the
mitered frame. I should have used my edgerouter to clean up the rabbet
when it was just a bit too tight. Fooling with that soft pine is a pain.

I like the looks of the corbels (?). Are they functional, or decorative?

--
Best regards
Han

Posted to rec.woodworking

Han wrote:

I like the looks of the corbels (?). Are they functional, or decorative?

Strictly decorative ... the "bling" of the Stickley era. When I take the
time to make them, I make many more than I need so I always have some
around. I've got a stash of corbels in red oak, quarter sawn white oak, and
maple.

The corbels on the Stickley factory sofa table I used as the basis for the
design has some rather large ones that I chose not to copy:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...81700764725154

When I use them for my own stuff, I like them more understated:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...0 36822986818

--
www.ewoodshop.com
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 9/13/2012 4:09 AM, Swingman wrote:

https://picasaweb..../EWoodShopMissi...boardPrototype...

That is a _very_ nice piece, indeed, Karl.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/13/2012 6:04 AM, dpb wrote:
On 9/13/2012 4:09 AM, Swingman wrote:

https://picasaweb..../EWoodShopMissi...boardPrototype...

That is a _very_ nice piece, indeed, Karl.

Why, Thank You!

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/12/2012 7:34 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:

"Swingman" wrote
But, I did make an animated video of my design some months back just
for grins, so far it's as far as I've ever gotten on owning an actual
sofa table g:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0ZmNRoNduk&feature=plcp

I don't want to criticize, but wouldn't it be hard to build such a table
if it keeps moving around like that?

Here, nailed it down for you ... decided to go ahead and start an album
in hopes it will provide the impetus/opportunity to get the actual
fabrication started:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...aftsSofaTable#

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 13 Sep 2012 07:01:24 -0500, Swingman wrote:

On 9/12/2012 7:34 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:

"Swingman" wrote
But, I did make an animated video of my design some months back just
for grins, so far it's as far as I've ever gotten on owning an actual
sofa table g:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0ZmNRoNduk&feature=plcp

I don't want to criticize, but wouldn't it be hard to build such a table
if it keeps moving around like that?

Here, nailed it down for you ... decided to go ahead and start an album
in hopes it will provide the impetus/opportunity to get the actual
fabrication started:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...aftsSofaTable#

It truly brings back memories of my bow saur years, Swingy.
sniffle, sob, honk

--
Creativity can solve almost any problem. The creative act,
the defeat of habit by originality, overcomes everything.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 13 Sep 2012 04:09:12 -0500, Swingman wrote:

Han wrote:

I like the looks of the corbels (?). Are they functional, or decorative?

Strictly decorative ... the "bling" of the Stickley era. When I take the
time to make them, I make many more than I need so I always have some
around. I've got a stash of corbels in red oak, quarter sawn white oak, and
maple.

The corbels on the Stickley factory sofa table I used as the basis for the
design has some rather large ones that I chose not to copy:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...81700764725154

When I use them for my own stuff, I like them more understated:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...0 36822986818

I love the old A&C sideboards, and especially any furniture designed
by Harvey Ellis. I'm looking forward to doing some inlay wotk on the
CNC router, which I haven't had time to even touch in weeks. But
extremely-freakin'-busy is good. Must stock up for cold, wet winter.

--
Creativity can solve almost any problem. The creative act,
the defeat of habit by originality, overcomes everything.
-- George Lois
Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Larry Jaques wrote in
:

I love the old A&C sideboards, and especially any furniture designed
by Harvey Ellis. I'm looking forward to doing some inlay wotk on the
CNC router, which I haven't had time to even touch in weeks. But
extremely-freakin'-busy is good. Must stock up for cold, wet winter.

Good to hear!
What about pictures? (I need to make some soon too ...)

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

dpb wrote in :

On 9/13/2012 4:09 AM, Swingman wrote:

https://picasaweb..../EWoodShopMissi...boardPrototype...

That is a _very_ nice piece, indeed, Karl.

Indeed ...

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 13 Sep 2012 13:40:41 GMT, Han wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote in
:

I love the old A&C sideboards, and especially any furniture designed
by Harvey Ellis. I'm looking forward to doing some inlay wotk on the
CNC router, which I haven't had time to even touch in weeks. But
extremely-freakin'-busy is good. Must stock up for cold, wet winter.

Good to hear!
What about pictures? (I need to make some soon too ...)

Pics of the build are he www.artcarving.biz which will soon be
made into a real website and business.

I plan to make carvings from photos, too, if that's what you were
asking.

--
Creativity can solve almost any problem. The creative act,
the defeat of habit by originality, overcomes everything.
-- George Lois
Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Larry Jaques wrote in
:

On 13 Sep 2012 13:40:41 GMT, Han wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote in
m:

I love the old A&C sideboards, and especially any furniture designed
by Harvey Ellis. I'm looking forward to doing some inlay wotk on the
CNC router, which I haven't had time to even touch in weeks. But
extremely-freakin'-busy is good. Must stock up for cold, wet winter.

Good to hear!
What about pictures? (I need to make some soon too ...)

Pics of the build are he www.artcarving.biz which will soon be
made into a real website and business.

I plan to make carvings from photos, too, if that's what you were
asking.

+1

--
Best regards
Han

coffee table skeez Woodworking Plans and Photos 2 May 10th 08 09:59 PM
AALTO Coffee table [email protected] Woodworking 4 September 29th 07 02:05 AM
COFFEE TABLE J T Woodworking 3 January 13th 06 04:38 PM
Coffee table Alan M UK diy 0 January 20th 04 11:37 AM
My $11 coffee table Bubba Woodworking 10 July 15th 03 11:49 PM