Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Scrap Pile

I am doing a restoration/clean up, of a pre-civil war spinning wheel (this
is being done gratis). The majority of the wood seems to be chestnut. But
somewhere in its history, the froont leg was broken or lost and someone made
a replacement. The problem is, all the other legs and vertical pieces are
turned and out of chestnut. The replacement leg is octagonal and out of
pine.

Does anyone have a piece of chestnut laying in their scrap pile that they
would be willing to turn loose of. The preferred size is 2 1/2 square by
30" long. A 1" thick piece that could be glued to make a blank of the same
size would also work.

Thanks

Deb
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 9/2/2012 8:00 AM, Dr. Deb wrote:

Does anyone have a piece of chestnut laying in their scrap pile that they
would be willing to turn loose of. The preferred size is 2 1/2 square by
30" long. A 1" thick piece that could be glued to make a blank of the same
size would also work.

Not wanting _much_, are we???

Not a speck of chestnut have I seen since days in VA and those days are
30+ yr in rear mirror by now, sorry...

I've really no leads any more, either...other than the reclamation folks
but they're certainly not going to part w/ it for anything but an arm
and both legs...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 02 Sep 2012 08:00:51 -0500, "Dr. Deb"
I am doing a restoration/clean up, of a pre-civil war spinning wheel (this
is being done gratis). The majority of the wood seems to be chestnut. But
somewhere in its history, the froont leg was broken or lost and someone made
a replacement. The problem is, all the other legs and vertical pieces are
turned and out of chestnut. The replacement leg is octagonal and out of
pine.

Assuming the spinning wheel will be for display purposes only, would
it not be prudent to just stain the pine leg so it coordinates itself
with the other legs?

You might well be looking to restore it to as authentic a state as
possible and if that's your intention, then please discard my
suggestion.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 02 Sep 2012 08:00:51 -0500, Dr. Deb wrote:

I am doing a restoration/clean up, of a pre-civil war spinning wheel
(this is being done gratis). The majority of the wood seems to be
chestnut. But somewhere in its history, the froont leg was broken or
lost and someone made a replacement. The problem is, all the other legs
and vertical pieces are turned and out of chestnut. The replacement leg
is octagonal and out of pine.

Does anyone have a piece of chestnut laying in their scrap pile that
they would be willing to turn loose of. The preferred size is 2 1/2
square by 30" long. A 1" thick piece that could be glued to make a
blank of the same size would also work.

Thanks

Deb

I have a small piece, but no, I won't part with it.

You may have better luck finding a small piece of
chinese chestnut, the heartwood of the chinese chestnut
is very similar, but will be absent the effects of age.

basilisk

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, September 2, 2012 11:21:02 AM UTC-4, basilisk wrote:
[...]

I have some chestnut I can send you. It'll have wormholes in it. I can't remember where I got it but it's from the upstate NY area. It was trim or flooring last I knew.

RP

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 02 Sep 2012 15:21:01 GMT, basilisk
wrote:

[...]

Pretty well any piece of chestnut will be absent the effects of age
after it has been turned. If you google, there are numerous places
that are selling chestnut lumber for $6 to $10 per board
foot.Kentucky, west Verginia, PA, Illinois, North Carolina, gotta be
some reasonably close that you should be able to buy for a reasonable
price.

Otherwise get a peice of white oak with a tight ray pattern and only
an expert will be able to tell you for sure that it isn't chestnut
after you have it finished.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Dr. Deb wrote:
I am doing a restoration/clean up, of a pre-civil war spinning wheel
(this is being done gratis). The majority of the wood seems to be
chestnut. But somewhere in its history, the froont leg was broken or
lost and someone made a replacement. The problem is, all the other
legs and vertical pieces are turned and out of chestnut. The
replacement leg is octagonal and out of pine.

Does anyone have a piece of chestnut laying in their scrap pile that
they would be willing to turn loose of. The preferred size is 2 1/2
square by 30" long. A 1" thick piece that could be glued to make a
blank of the same size would also work.

Is there a chestnut TREE in your vicinity?

Next question: Do you have a chain saw?

Posted to rec.woodworking

basilisk wrote:

[...]

Another woodturner acquaintance of mine suggested the same thing. That is
probably exactly what I will do. As for the age problem, a stiff wire
brush applied to the soft material between the growth rings will help a lot.

Thanks

Deb
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 2 Sep 2012 19:43:50 -0600, HeyBub wrote
(in article ):

Dr. Deb wrote:
I am doing a restoration/clean up, of a pre-civil war spinning wheel
(this is being done gratis). The majority of the wood seems to be
chestnut. But somewhere in its history, the froont leg was broken or
lost and someone made a replacement. The problem is, all the other
legs and vertical pieces are turned and out of chestnut. The
replacement leg is octagonal and out of pine.

Does anyone have a piece of chestnut laying in their scrap pile that
they would be willing to turn loose of. The preferred size is 2 1/2
square by 30" long. A 1" thick piece that could be glued to make a
blank of the same size would also work.

I just watched a woodworking show where the host (Scott Phillips?) was making
a chestnut blanket chest. He claimed that ash, when properly stained is
indistinguishable.

-Bruce

Is there a chestnut TREE in your vicinity?

Next question: Do you have a chain saw?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 02 Sep 2012 08:00:51 -0500, Dr. Deb wrote:

I am doing a restoration/clean up, of a pre-civil war spinning wheel
(this is being done gratis). The majority of the wood seems to be
chestnut. But somewhere in its history, the froont leg was broken or
lost and someone made a replacement. The problem is, all the other legs
and vertical pieces are turned and out of chestnut. The replacement leg
is octagonal and out of pine.

Does anyone have a piece of chestnut laying in their scrap pile that
they would be willing to turn loose of. The preferred size is 2 1/2
square by 30" long. A 1" thick piece that could be glued to make a
blank of the same size would also work.

I kept this thread in mind yesterday while pruning my chestnut trees but
there weren't any branches of sufficient size for your needs... The last
time I had a piece large enough to use it was the result of storm damage. I
managed to make most of a small craftsman chest from the wood but needed to
use white oak for part of it. I posted a photo on ABPW.

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

Dr. Deb wrote:
I am doing a restoration/clean up, of a pre-civil war spinning wheel
(this is being done gratis). The majority of the wood seems to be
chestnut. But somewhere in its history, the froont leg was broken or
lost and someone made a replacement. The problem is, all the other
legs and vertical pieces are turned and out of chestnut. The
replacement leg is octagonal and out of pine.

Does anyone have a piece of chestnut laying in their scrap pile that
they would be willing to turn loose of. The preferred size is 2 1/2
square by 30" long. A 1" thick piece that could be glued to make a
blank of the same size would also work.

I just watched a woodworking show where the host (Scott Phillips?) was
making
a chestnut blanket chest. He claimed that ash, when properly stained is
indistinguishable.

I tend to agree with that... in my experience it is a better alternative
than white oak in terms of hardness and grain appearance though the color
is lighter.

John

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Default OT your picture

"John Grossbohlin" wrote in
:

snip

It seemed you had uploaded a picture to abpw, but my newsreader is trying
to let google find it oof earthlink, with no result.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Han" wrote in message
"John Grossbohlin" wrote in
:

snip

It seemed you had uploaded a picture to abpw, but my newsreader is trying
to let google find it oof earthlink, with no result.

--
Best regards
Han
email address is invalid

I can see it on ABPW but neglected to put a subject in the header... so I
uploaded it again with a subject of chestnut. Maybe that was the problem...

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

"John Grossbohlin" wrote in
m:

"Han" wrote in message
"John Grossbohlin" wrote in
:

snip

It seemed you had uploaded a picture to abpw, but my newsreader is
trying to let google find it oof earthlink, with no result.

--
Best regards
Han
email address is invalid

I can see it on ABPW but neglected to put a subject in the header...
so I uploaded it again with a subject of chestnut. Maybe that was the
problem...

Now it came through!!
Nice work, John!

--
Best regards
Han

Posted to rec.woodworking

Dr. Deb wrote:
[...]

The "rays" in the oak are a bit more authentic to the chestnut from
what I've been told - but I've never worked with American Chestnut.

Who wrote this pile of tripe? The Other Mike[_3_] UK diy 3 April 13th 11 11:36 PM
Oh boy, I've got a pile of cherry... jtpr Woodworking 14 June 10th 09 11:02 AM
fs: vaguely OT - pile of books, anyone? Bill Noble[_2_] Metalworking 4 March 23rd 09 01:42 AM
How to Stack Log Pile? Davy UK diy 14 June 27th 06 10:38 AM
B&D SandStorm - Pile of Crap! [email protected] UK diy 18 January 26th 05 02:57 PM