Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Can somebody help me with this (old) Drill Press

On Wednesday, August 29, 2012 5:37:50 PM UTC-4, jtpr wrote:
This was my Dad's. It is a Craftsman King-Seeley probably around the 1950's anyway. Floor standing. It is good machine that I have used for a long time. However, it has never had the power that I think it should and I believe it is due to the belts. This has come to be a problem as I want to drill a 3 1/8th inch hole for a clock in a hunk of maple 1 1/2" thick. It just is taking forever. I don't really know how to work the belt system. There is no Sears part number on it that I can find, but it does have a 1/2hp motor.

Here are some pics:

http://jtpryan.smugmug.com/Other/Dri...5079295_D2w2wb

If you have any idea what I do to minimize the belt slip, that would be great. Thank you.

-Jim

This is the exact system with the belts I need:

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/222/3034.pdf

-Jim
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 8/31/2012 7:33 AM, jtpr wrote:

This is the exact system with the belts I need:

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/222/3034.pdf

Good find...I presume you saw the picture links I posted earlier...

Are you sure you really need new belts? They don't look worn in the
pictures; while old unless are glazed surfaces or obviously worn I'm
guessing they're not going to make much difference.

Since the press is pretty old and it mentions these are packed bearings,
have you checked all them for being well-packed w/ non-dried-out grease
and that the speed adjusting pulleys operate, etc., etc., etc., ... ?
What about the drill spindle bearings too?

On the belts themselves, I'm guessing the numbers are lengths in tenths
of inches -- Measure the width and depth; there are standard A, B, C,
.... cross sections for v-belts. A is 1/2", B = 21/32", etc. Automotive
belts use a NL nomenclature where N is 3,4,5,... and is in eighths of
inches. So a 4L is equivalent cross section to a standard industrial A.

If you think you really do need to replace them go to the best-stocked
NAPA or other automotive parts place you have and match them. They'll
have a belt-measuring device to make it simpler.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"dpb" wrote in message ...

If you think you really do need to replace them go to the best-stocked
NAPA or other automotive parts place you have and match them. They'll
have a belt-measuring device to make it simpler.
Better yet, a farm supply.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 8/31/2012 11:41 AM, CW wrote:

"dpb" wrote in message ...

If you think you really do need to replace them go to the best-stocked
NAPA or other automotive parts place you have and match them. They'll
have a belt-measuring device to make it simpler.
Better yet, a farm supply.

Not so likely the short lengths OP needs ime...on hand, anyway.
Undoubtedly they can get/match anything made but the auto supply tends
to do better for smaller stuff owing to all the configurations. Altho
w/ the advent of the serpentine perhaps not as much as in days of yore.
(am a farmer)

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 8/31/2012 4:20 PM, dpb wrote:

Not so likely the short lengths OP needs ime...on hand, anyway.
Undoubtedly they can get/match anything made but the auto supply tends
to do better for smaller stuff owing to all the configurations. Altho w/
the advent of the serpentine perhaps not as much as in days of yore. (am
a farmer)

That's not to say don't try, of course--what is common in one location
ain't necessarily the same somewhere else. Probably greatly depends
also on the type of farming in an area--this is large grain production
country where stuff is on very large scale and not much if any small
producers or hobby farms that tend to have utility-sized stuff...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"dpb" wrote in message ...

On 8/31/2012 11:41 AM, CW wrote:

"dpb" wrote in message ...

If you think you really do need to replace them go to the best-stocked
NAPA or other automotive parts place you have and match them. They'llh
have a belt-measuring device to make it simpler.
Better yet, a farm supply.

Not so likely the short lengths OP needs ime...on hand, anyway.
Undoubtedly they can get/match anything made but the auto supply tends
to do better for smaller stuff owing to all the configurations. Altho
w/ the advent of the serpentine perhaps not as much as in days of yore.
(am a farmer)
I'm sure it depends on the place but the one that I used to go to even came
up with a belt for a 1948 Singer sewing machine.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"dpb" wrote in message ...

On 8/31/2012 4:20 PM, dpb wrote:

Not so likely the short lengths OP needs ime...on hand, anyway.
Undoubtedly they can get/match anything made but the auto supply tends
to do better for smaller stuff owing to all the configurations. Altho w/
the advent of the serpentine perhaps not as much as in days of yore. (am
a farmer)

That's not to say don't try, of course--what is common in one location
ain't necessarily the same somewhere else. Probably greatly depends
also on the type of farming in an area--this is large grain production
country where stuff is on very large scale and not much if any small
producers or hobby farms that tend to have utility-sized stuff...
Yes, you're right, it would be quite location specific. The place that I was
talking about was in a place that had many small orchards hence small
machinery.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 8/31/2012 8:39 PM, CW wrote:
"dpb" wrote in message ...
On 8/31/2012 11:41 AM, CW wrote:
"dpb" wrote in message ...
...go to the best-stocked NAPA ... and match them. ...
Better yet, a farm supply.

Not so likely the short lengths OP needs ime...on hand, anyway.

I'm sure it depends on the place but the one that I used to go to even
came up with a belt for a 1948 Singer sewing machine.

There's a place like that here, too, but it ain't one of the farm supply
places...