Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Can somebody help me with this (old) Drill Press

On Wednesday, August 29, 2012 2:37:50 PM UTC-7, jtpr wrote:
This was my Dad's. It is a Craftsman King-Seeley probably around the 1950's anyway. Floor standing. It is good machine that I have used for a long time. However, it has never had the power that I think it should and I believe it is due to the belts. This has come to be a problem as I want to drill a 3 1/8th inch hole for a clock in a hunk of maple 1 1/2" thick. It just is taking forever. I don't really know how to work the belt system. There is no Sears part number on it that I can find, but it does have a 1/2hp motor.. Here are some pics: http://jtpryan.smugmug.com/Other/Dri...5079295_D2w2wb If you have any idea what I do to minimize the belt slip, that would be great. Thank you. -Jim

If the problem is belt slippage the motor should be mounted on a system that can slide in and out and there should be a lever that locks it in place. Sometimes there is a bolt that locks it in place and a lever actually lets you add tension before you tighten it back up. Somehow the motor needs to move away from the pully.

Alternatively you can add an idiler by adding another small pully or wheel mid belt to add tension. Could probably hack something up with some plywood a few srews and or clamps I would imagine.
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On Wednesday, August 29, 2012 2:37:50 PM UTC-7, jtpr wrote:
This was my Dad's. It is a Craftsman King-Seeley probably around

.... Here are some pics:
http://jtpryan.smugmug.com/Other/Dri...5079295_D2w2wb If you have
any idea what I do to minimize the belt slip, that would be great. Thank
you. -Jim

Well, the pictures don't show the full mechanism (front cut off
entirely, rear indistinct in to the background) so can't tell for sure
but clearly the two towards the front are on a pivoting arrangement but
the specific adjustment/locking isn't shown.

Certainly as shown the front belt looks to be essentially slack so I'd
guess it wouldn't pull w/ any significant torque at all as is.

Again it's too blurred to tell for sure but it looks like _maybe_ that
center is a variable speed arrangement? It certainly looks wide for a
single groove.

I'd like to see a set of much better pictures -- both in focus and that
cover the full mechanism.

Did you do a search an OWWM.ORG to see if there's a similar one there by
any chance? I've not seen that specific mechanism before...

Posted to rec.woodworking

--

I know. I'm going to get some better ones in a min. But I did find a bolt on each side of the head that holds two rods that allow you to pull the motor straight back. I was looking for a hinge, but this is how you do it. This definitely helped things. However, I'm going to put more pictures in that gallery just to see if people have more info for me. Thanks.

Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

OK, I updated the gallery. Man, those really were bad pics, shouldn't be operating equipment when I drink like that;+}

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, August 29, 2012 10:09:07 PM UTC-4, Kenefick wrote:
[...]

Yes, I also posted a question there as well. Thank you.
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 8/29/2012 9:24 PM, jtpr wrote:

I'd like to see a set of much better pictures -- both in focus and that
cover the full mechanism.

Did you do a search an OWWM.ORG to see if there's a similar one there by
any chance? I've not seen that specific mechanism before...

OK, I updated the gallery. Man, those really were bad pics,
shouldn't be operating equipment when I drink like that;+}

Much better...

The two rods will definitely tighten the drive belt from motor but not
the others afaict from the pictures.

I'd like to see the front handle mechanism a little more clearly; looks
to me like it rotates around the front casting to tension the adjustable
speed pulleys by straightening the linkage between the three shafts.
But, the top is shown but not the front so can't see what goes on at the
handle for locking it in position, etc.

I'd also like to see a better shot of the actual pulleys -- the depth
the belts are running makes me wonder if the belts aren't too small for
them but can't tell for sure.

Anyway, the combination of the motor position on the support rods as
you've noted and the position of that front handle on the speed-changing
mechanism are the tension adjustments.

Nice looking press--I've not done a search for it--did you try to search
owwm for the King-Seely name? I'm not familiar w/ it, either.

Posted to rec.woodworking

dpb wrote:

Anyway, the combination of the motor position on the support rods as
you've noted and the position of that front handle on the
speed-changing mechanism are the tension adjustments.

Sure looks like it. What I'm trying to figure is how moving the linked arms
is going to work. I mean, how is it going to move the shaft upon which the
sheaves rotate (which is what it looks like it would do)? I guess the
sheaves could have an oversize hole and tensioning the rods could tilt the
shaft but that seems terminally wierd.

I do see the rod upon which the motor could slide - presumably, one on each
side - and I wonder if the quadrant/push rod things could hook up to that?
Must be...

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Maybe just ready for a change? Check it out...
http://www.floridaloghouse.net

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 8/30/2012 10:02 AM, dadiOH wrote:
dpb wrote:

Anyway, the combination of the motor position on the support rods as
you've noted and the position of that front handle on the
speed-changing mechanism are the tension adjustments.

Sure looks like it. What I'm trying to figure is how moving the linked arms
is going to work. I mean, how is it going to move the shaft upon which the
sheaves rotate (which is what it looks like it would do)? I guess the
sheaves could have an oversize hole and tensioning the rods could tilt the
shaft but that seems terminally wierd.

I do see the rod upon which the motor could slide - presumably, one on each
side - and I wonder if the quadrant/push rod things could hook up to that?
Must be...

Not enough detail in the right angles/positions to be able to tell
precisely how the intermediate spindles are supported but I'm certain
they move laterally to allow to change belt positions for speed
changing. Somewhere I suspect there are some other locking levers/set
screws/whatevers...

As noted I've not seen this precise mechanism before--it's interesting
certainly and I'd think a diligent search would probably come up w/ it
on owwm or even maybe an old patent drawing. But, I don't have the time
at the moment to try to do so now.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 8/29/2012 9:24 PM, jtpr wrote:

Did you do a search an OWWM.ORG to see if there's a similar one there by
any chance? I've not seen that specific mechanism before...

Well, I did do a quickie--as I thought _might_ be possible, the large
diameter on the intermediate shafts and the adjusting mechanism is a
variable-speed drive system...

http://vintagemachinery.org/photoindex/detail.aspx?id=9538

So, the drive belt is tightened by the mechanism as you described but
the others are basically based on length of the belt itself and the
front lever arm moves them in/out on the pulleys to provide a variable
speed feature.

As the owner in the link says, that leaves it w/ a limited amount of
torque based on the spring load on the intermediate pulleys. Those two
can't be tightened per a conventional belt.

Another one w/ the speed plate on the variable speed...

http://vintagemachinery.org/photoindex/detail.aspx?id=12727

Posted to rec.woodworking

I think the drill press is going 'way too fast for a 3 1/8" drill. Are you
using a hole saw or a forstner bit or what?

That drill press, if it's like mine, has a slowest speed of about 550 rpm.
You should be down to about 150 rpms or so, I'd say.
I'll bet that your drill bit has dulled/overheated from the high speed.

I slowed mine down by adding a separate motor beside the main one. My main
motor has a double ended shaft, so I put a 6" pulley on the lower end and
used a 1 1/2" pulley on the separate motor. I simply add the lower belt when
I need a selection of lower speeds for work such as yours.

If the problem IS slippage, on my drill press, you simply adjust the motor
farther away from the back of the drill press. Mine is a 1960 Sears floor
model.

Pete Stanaitis
---------------

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, August 29, 2012 2:37:50 PM UTC-7, jtpr wrote:
This was my Dad's. It is a Craftsman King-Seeley probably around the 1950's anyway.

Floor standing. It is good machine that I have used for a long time.
However, it has never
had the power that I think it should and I believe it is due to the belts.

I have King Seeley from the same era. Model Number 103.23140.

Here is a pic of mine:
http://jbstein.com/Flick/DrillPress.jpg

Yours is slightly different at the top, looks to be a bit newer model,
Mine only has two pulleys, not four and you change speeds by moving the
belt manually. Yours looks exactly the same if you removed the two
middle pulleys and just had a belt from the spindle pulley to the motor
pulley.

This has come to be a problem as I want to drill a 3 1/8th inch hole for
a clock in a hunk
of maple 1 1/2" thick. It just is taking forever.

What are you cutting the hole with? Is the tool sharp?

I don't really know how to work the belt system. There is no Sears part
number on it that I can find, but it does have a 1/2hp motor.

Mine also has a 1/2 hp motor, and I never had a problem with power, and
never had the belt slip. My belt is loose enough that I can change
pulley positions w/o loosening anything. The belt is tightened by
loosening the two bolts on the side that hold the motor mount. I rarely
to never change speeds. A fly cutter is about the only time and it's
rather easy, takes about 10 seconds or less.

I have cut 6" holes with a fly cutter, not a problem. Yours seems to
have a much more complex pulley system, and could be that is where your
problems are coming from, assuming a sharp tool and no motor problems.

I do have the operating instructions and parts list for my model, but it
doesn't show the complex pulley system yours has added on to it. I would
think there are ways to adjust tension for no slip, and 1/2 hp is plenty
for this DP.

Here are some pics:
http://jtpryan.smugmug.com/Other/Dri...5079295_D2w2wb If you have
any idea what I do to
minimize the belt slip, that would be great. Thank you. -Jim

If the problem is belt slippage the motor should be mounted on a system that can slide in and out and there should be a lever that locks it in place. Sometimes there is a bolt that locks it in place and a lever actually lets you add tension before you tighten it back up. Somehow the motor needs to move away from the pully.

Alternatively you can add an idiler by adding another small pully or wheel mid belt to add tension. Could probably hack something up with some plywood a few srews and or clamps I would imagine.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/3/2012 11:08 AM, Jack wrote:
[...]

Sure you could, but you would do away with the variable speed pulleys
that make this a great drill press.

--

___________________________________

Keep the whole world singing . . .
Dan G
remove the seven
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, September 3, 2012 12:58:01 PM UTC-4, DanG wrote:
On 9/3/2012 11:08 AM, Jack wrote:

[...]

OK, the belts are labled, SR 170, SR 200, and SR 210. After measuring I figured it out:

SR = Sears and Robuck
170 = 17"
200 = 20"
210 = 21"

Duh.

Anyway I found all the belts at http://www.vbeltsupply.com/

For $12 including shipping I ordered them, we'll see what happens when they arrive.

I am using a brand new Forstner bit to answer a previous question. I had asked about speed in terms of which is better for a bit this large, faster or slower, it sounds like slower from the comments.

-Jim