Posted to rec.woodworking

Default tool for making a small slot

I need to make a slot in a wood trim piece about 6 feet long. The slot will be 1/16 inch wide and 1/2 inch deep. I thought about using a 1/16 inch drill bit in a drill press, but that would not be strong enough and will snap under the lateral load. Is there a special tool or router bit to fit the occasion?

thanks,
Len
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 26 Aug 2012 12:34:16 -0500, Swingman wrote:

On 8/26/2012 12:24 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 8/26/2012 11:58 AM, wrote:
I need to make a slot in a wood trim piece about 6 feet long. The
slot will be 1/16 inch wide and 1/2 inch deep. I thought about using
a 1/16 inch drill bit in a drill press, but that would not be strong
enough and will snap under the lateral load. Is there a special tool
or router bit to fit the occasion?

There are 1/16" diameter router bits readily available.

You will most assuredly want to make multiple, shallow passes to final
depth, but that is not a biggie.

Forgot to mention that there are also 1/16" kerf circular saw blades
readily available ... DeWalt, among others, makes them, and they are
generally much cheaper than a double fluted router bit.

Much better, but aren't most thin kerf bits 3/32"? Oh, I guess
straight HSS is 1/16" wide. Neevermind.

Most 1/16" router bits aren't long enough, but those which are cost
like the dickens and break or burn up very, very easily.

And, you could do it in one pass with a guide and the blade set to the
desired depth.

DAGS

I'd sure want to build a holddown jig for something like that. My
fingers started retracting just thinking of it. g

--
The human brain is unique in that it is the only container of which
it can be said that the more you put into it, the more it will hold.
Posted to rec.woodworking

In ,
Larry Jaques typed:

On 8/26/2012 11:58 AM, wrote:
[...]

1/2 inch? Baloney - lots of them avallable. Get a carbde tip if ypu're hard
on bits, or learn to use the router properly.

HTH,

Twayne`

And, you could do it in one pass with a guide and the
blade set to the desired depth.

DAGS

I'd sure want to build a holddown jig for something like
that. My fingers started retracting just thinking of it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Slotting cutter instead of straight bit -- Amana 53200 for example. --

Bingo! You win the prize.