Posted to rec.woodworking

Default FrogTape

FrogTape has been getting a lot of TV advertising in the SoCal market.

Anybody have any actual experience with the stuff?

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/15/12 6:29 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
FrogTape has been getting a lot of TV advertising in the SoCal market.

Anybody have any actual experience with the stuff?

Lew

Yes, it's great stuff. I like it much better than the blue masking
tape.. 3M, maybe?
It's sticks just enough to mask and not bleed, but it comes right off.
Your post reminded me that I had some still on the ceiling where I
marked some studs for putting up crown molding. It's been up there a
couple months and I just took it down. It came off as easy as if I put
it up a minute ago, no residue and no paint stuck to the tape.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 15 Aug 2012 18:42:23 -0500, -MIKE-
couple months and I just took it down. It came off as easy as if I put
it up a minute ago, no residue and no paint stuck to the tape.

And no bleeding of paint under the edge of the tape. Every other tape
I've ever used has a little of that in some places. ~ even with my
putting on an initial light coat before adding a heavier second coat.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave wrote:
On Wed, 15 Aug 2012 18:42:23 -0500, -MIKE-
couple months and I just took it down. It came off as easy as if I
put it up a minute ago, no residue and no paint stuck to the tape.

And no bleeding of paint under the edge of the tape. Every other tape
I've ever used has a little of that in some places. ~ even with my
putting on an initial light coat before adding a heavier second coat.

The stickum on these tapes is (bees)wax. If you vigorously rub the tape
after applying, the wax, the heat from the friction warms the wax slightly
and the wax more completely fills the voids. This results in a better seal.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/15/12 7:47 PM, HeyBub wrote:
The stickum on these tapes is (bees)wax.

I don't believe that for several reasons.
Do you have a source for this information?

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 15 Aug 2012 19:53:20 -0500, -MIKE-
The stickum on these tapes is (bees)wax.

I don't believe that for several reasons.
Do you have a source for this information?

Might have made a more useful reply if *you* went to frogtape's
website and researched it yourself as I intend to do right now.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 15 Aug 2012 19:53:20 -0500, -MIKE-
The stickum on these tapes is (bees)wax.

I don't believe that for several reasons.
Do you have a source for this information?

Ok, you are correct in this case. According to FrogTape's website,

"FrogTape is the only painter’s tape treated with PaintBlock®
Technology. PaintBlock is a super-absorbent polymer which reacts with
latex paint and instantly gels to form a micro-barrier that seals the
edges of the tape, preventing paint bleed."

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/15/12 7:59 PM, Dave wrote:
On Wed, 15 Aug 2012 19:53:20 -0500, -MIKE-
The stickum on these tapes is (bees)wax.

I don't believe that for several reasons.
Do you have a source for this information?

Might have made a more useful reply if *you* went to frogtape's
website and researched it yourself as I intend to do right now.

Yet, you decided to do the same thing you accused me of. Brilliant. :-)

By the way, I actually did search the site first, which is why I asked
him for his source.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/15/12 8:15 PM, Dave wrote:
On Wed, 15 Aug 2012 19:53:20 -0500, -MIKE-
The stickum on these tapes is (bees)wax.

I don't believe that for several reasons.
Do you have a source for this information?

Ok, you are correct in this case. According to FrogTape's website,

"FrogTape is the only painter’s tape treated with PaintBlock®
Technology. PaintBlock is a super-absorbent polymer which reacts with
latex paint and instantly gels to form a micro-barrier that seals the
edges of the tape, preventing paint bleed."

Yeah, I already read that before I posted my reply to him.... before
your smart-assed comment, too. :-p

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 15 Aug 2012 20:44:48 -0500, -MIKE-
"FrogTape is the only painter’s tape treated with PaintBlock®
Technology. PaintBlock is a super-absorbent polymer which reacts with
latex paint and instantly gels to form a micro-barrier that seals the
edges of the tape, preventing paint bleed."

Yeah, I already read that before I posted my reply to him.... before
your smart-assed comment, too. :-p

If you'd just read it, common sense dictates you'd have posted it.
Your first reply was worded as one of personal opinion, not just read
knowledge.

Really, really, poor attempt with the bull**** Mike. Man up and admit
it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/15/2012 6:29 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
FrogTape has been getting a lot of TV advertising in the SoCal market.

Anybody have any actual experience with the stuff?

Lew

The jury is still out with me. I used a roll for masking off oil based
and water based stains and dyes.

I used it to mask off an oak to oak plywood joint. I wanted the solid
oak to receive the stain but not the veneer plywood.

With a gel stain the tape worked as advertised. With General Finishes
Dye stain it failed miserably.

The Frog tape is indeed a better tape than most that I have used however
you are absolutely going to want to test or experiment before putting
full trust in it working as advertised.

IIRC the tape is meant to be used with water based products. I found it
worked well with products not listed as comparable.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 16 Aug 2012 08:17:56 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
With a gel stain the tape worked as advertised. With General Finishes
Dye stain it failed miserably.

I'm wondering if it might be dedicated more to paints. Stains and dyes
might be a whole other animal.
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 8/16/2012 8:17 AM, Leon wrote:
On 8/15/2012 6:29 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
FrogTape has been getting a lot of TV advertising in the SoCal market.

Anybody have any actual experience with the stuff?

With a gel stain the tape worked as advertised. With General Finishes
Dye stain it failed miserably.

Not surprising at all...I'd have expected that result going in.

IIRC the tape is meant to be used with water based products. I found it
worked well with products not listed as comparable.

It actually is meant to be used w/ latex paints--the gelling compound is
designed specifically for them. They make no claims whatever about
suitability for other products, water-based or no...

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 8/15/2012 6:29 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
FrogTape has been getting a lot of TV advertising in the SoCal market.

Anybody have any actual experience with the stuff?

Lew

The jury is still out with me. I used a roll for masking off oil based
and water based stains and dyes.

I used it to mask off an oak to oak plywood joint. I wanted the solid
oak to receive the stain but not the veneer plywood.

With a gel stain the tape worked as advertised. With General Finishes
Dye stain it failed miserably.

If you'd learn to put at least one coat of finish on your project
prior to gluing, you'd probably avoid that problem, Leon. Seal it from
the stain, then take the last trim cut on the piece so you have a
gluable edge.

The Frog tape is indeed a better tape than most that I have used however
you are absolutely going to want to test or experiment before putting
full trust in it working as advertised.

I can't believe they get more for that than 3M's already horribly
overpriced blue tape.

IIRC the tape is meant to be used with water based products. I found it
worked well with products not listed as comparable.

What solvent is in the Gen Fin dye stains you use? That may be the
culprit, but highly absorbant wood could be it, too. Dye is a lot
thinner than the gel stain.

--
All of us want to do well. But if we do not do
good, too, then doing well will never be enough.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/16/12 8:17 AM, Leon wrote:
With a gel stain the tape worked as advertised. With General Finishes
Dye stain it failed miserably.

I don't think any kind of take is going to work with dyes.
If the pigments in stain are basketballs, then the pigments in a dye are
marbles.
They will get anywhere.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
:

On 8/15/2012 6:29 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
FrogTape has been getting a lot of TV advertising in the SoCal
market.

Anybody have any actual experience with the stuff?

Lew

The jury is still out with me. I used a roll for masking off oil
based and water based stains and dyes.

I used it to mask off an oak to oak plywood joint. I wanted the solid
oak to receive the stain but not the veneer plywood.

With a gel stain the tape worked as advertised. With General Finishes
Dye stain it failed miserably.

The Frog tape is indeed a better tape than most that I have used
however you are absolutely going to want to test or experiment before
putting full trust in it working as advertised.

IIRC the tape is meant to be used with water based products. I found
it worked well with products not listed as comparable.

How are these other tapes about tearing? I've got some plain ol'
masking tape (only a few years old at most) that works ok, if I can get
the darn stuff off the roll. Sometimes it shears across the tape,
running a foot or more before it finally quits. (If I catch it early
enough, I can stop it.)

It's 3M masking tape, so it's not supposed to be low quality stuff.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/16/2012 8:17 AM, Leon wrote:
On 8/15/2012 6:29 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
FrogTape has been getting a lot of TV advertising in the SoCal market.

Anybody have any actual experience with the stuff?

Lew

The jury is still out with me. I used a roll for masking off oil based
and water based stains and dyes.

I used it to mask off an oak to oak plywood joint. I wanted the solid
oak to receive the stain but not the veneer plywood.

With a gel stain the tape worked as advertised. With General Finishes
Dye stain it failed miserably.

The Frog tape is indeed a better tape than most that I have used however
you are absolutely going to want to test or experiment before putting
full trust in it working as advertised.

IIRC the tape is meant to be used with water based products. I found it
worked well with products not listed as comparable.

Me too. Old habits die hard.
I still use Fine Line tape for the edges and that new-fangled blue tape
to mask...
Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:
On 8/15/12 7:47 PM, HeyBub wrote:
The stickum on these tapes is (bees)wax.

I don't believe that for several reasons.
Do you have a source for this information?

Not handy. It was mentioned as part of a painting seminar at a local home
show. The expert who gave the 1-hour seminar also sold a book, which, at
this very moment, I can't find. He recommended using the rounded edge of
your 10-in-1 tool to create the friction.

However, I'm sure my rememberance is correct. His comment is etched as
firmly in my mind as the night the cat learned to open the gerbil cage.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/16/12 5:54 PM, HeyBub wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:
On 8/15/12 7:47 PM, HeyBub wrote:
The stickum on these tapes is (bees)wax.

I don't believe that for several reasons.
Do you have a source for this information?

Not handy. It was mentioned as part of a painting seminar at a local home
show. The expert who gave the 1-hour seminar also sold a book, which, at
this very moment, I can't find. He recommended using the rounded edge of
your 10-in-1 tool to create the friction.

However, I'm sure my rememberance is correct. His comment is etched as
firmly in my mind as the night the cat learned to open the gerbil cage.

With due respect, that doesn't mean he knew what he was talking about. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

Puckdropper wrote:

How are these other tapes about tearing? I've got some plain ol'
masking tape (only a few years old at most) that works ok, if I can
get the darn stuff off the roll. Sometimes it shears across the tape,
running a foot or more before it finally quits. (If I catch it early
enough, I can stop it.)

It's 3M masking tape, so it's not supposed to be low quality stuff.

Usually 3M tape doesn't give fits like that. I wonder if it ever got too
warm.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 16 Aug 2012 17:29:53 GMT, Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

[...]

Masking tape dries out quickly. The sticky is too sticky, too, and often
pulls the paint off.
Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

It took me 57 years to realize that tape had a shelf life. Old tape
will dry out and be hard to get off the roll, shearing in strips, etc.
If it's over a year old, I either give it away or throw it away after
the second shearing. Fresh tape is much less frustrating.

As thin as all the new tapes are today, they're all hard to get off
the roll to start with. I often turn 1/4" back so it's easy to start,
trimming it off before use.

--
All of us want to do well. But if we do not do
good, too, then doing well will never be enough.
-- Anna Quindlen
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/16/2012 11:07 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
As thin as all the new tapes are today, they're all hard to get off
the roll to start with. I often turn 1/4" back so it's easy to start,
trimming it off before use.

I used to do that, now I put a paper clip under the end instead.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 17, 2:51*am, Just Wondering wrote:
On 8/16/2012 11:07 PM, Larry Jaques wrote: As thin as all the new tapes are today, they're all hard to get off
the roll to start with. I often turn 1/4" back so it's easy to start,
trimming it off before use.

I used to do that, now I put a paper clip under the end instead.

Too much information. No one but you is interested in your crap.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 17 Aug 2012 07:00:23 -0700 (PDT), "John H. Gohde"
I used to do that, now I put a paper clip under the end instead.

Too much information. No one but you is interested in your crap.

What the hell is wrong with his suggestion? The problem isn't his
information, it's your inane reply.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 16 Aug 2012 22:07:02 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On 16 Aug 2012 17:29:53 GMT, Puckdropper
puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
om:

[...]

Give it to your worst enemy? ;-)

As thin as all the new tapes are today, they're all hard to get off
the roll to start with. I often turn 1/4" back so it's easy to start,
trimming it off before use.

I don't have any trouble starting the 3M blue tape. I like it, though next
time[*] I'm going to try Frog Tape.
[*] Just bought a house with crappy paint with a crappy spray job. I guess I
shouldn't have expected any more from the Feds.
Posted to rec.woodworking

John H. Gohde wrote:
On Aug 17, 2:51 am, Just Wondering wrote:
On 8/16/2012 11:07 PM, Larry Jaques wrote: As thin as all the new
tapes are today, they're all hard to get off
the roll to start with. I often turn 1/4" back so it's easy to
start, trimming it off before use.

I used to do that, now I put a paper clip under the end instead.

Too much information. No one but you is interested in your crap.

That is a weird reply.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:
On 8/16/12 5:54 PM, HeyBub wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:
On 8/15/12 7:47 PM, HeyBub wrote:
The stickum on these tapes is (bees)wax.

I don't believe that for several reasons.
Do you have a source for this information?

Not handy. It was mentioned as part of a painting seminar at a local
home show. The expert who gave the 1-hour seminar also sold a book,
which, at this very moment, I can't find. He recommended using the
rounded edge of your 10-in-1 tool to create the friction.

However, I'm sure my rememberance is correct. His comment is etched
as firmly in my mind as the night the cat learned to open the gerbil
cage.

With due respect, that doesn't mean he knew what he was talking
about. :-)

You're right, of course. As I recall his cv, it included an MS in Chemistry,
25 years working for two different paint companies, consultant and advisor
to Home Depot. I will redouble my efforts to find his book, even if I have
to buy another from the home improvement library at the box store.

I do remember him saying "The simple things in life are the most rewarding,"
as he nailed the kitten to the chesterfield. Or maybe it was someone else...
I forget.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/17/2012 9:13 AM, Dave wrote:
On Fri, 17 Aug 2012 07:00:23 -0700 (PDT), "John H. Gohde"
I used to do that, now I put a paper clip under the end instead.

Too much information. No one but you is interested in your crap.

What the hell is wrong with his suggestion? The problem isn't his
information, it's your inane reply.

Gohde's problem is that I once showed him he was mistaken about a health
claim, and he now takes every opportunity he can to prove to me that he
was not only mistaken, he is a boorish buffoon.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/17/12 11:22 AM, HeyBub wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:
On 8/16/12 5:54 PM, HeyBub wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:
On 8/15/12 7:47 PM, HeyBub wrote:
[...]

Unlike the other guy who was in this conversation, I'm not looking to
argue with you. I honestly wanted a source for this info. One of the
reasons I'm skeptical about the tape containing beeswax is because of
the shortage of it due to whatever is causing the honeybee population to
plummet.
I can't see a company producing such a ubiquitous product using an
organic ingredient with such fluctuating supply over a synthetic
substitute with a much more stable supply.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 8/17/2012 1:27 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

argue with you. I honestly wanted a source for this info. One of the
reasons I'm skeptical about the tape containing beeswax is because of
the shortage of it due to whatever is causing the honeybee population to
plummet.
I can't see a company producing such a ubiquitous product using an
organic ingredient with such fluctuating supply over a synthetic
substitute with a much more stable supply.

Did you try MSDS? Probably won't answer the question but who knows;
occasionally they're of real interest to read.

I don't know just how short beeswax is in supply; one interesting use
(at least to me) is as a temporary mount for accelerometers for
vibration measurement. It's amazing it will adhere and transmit
frequency through than virtually any other substance found to date for a
temporary mounting...as far as I know they're still using the real thing
but it's been quite a while now since retired from that former life.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/15/2012 7:29 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
FrogTape has been getting a lot of TV advertising in the SoCal market.

Anybody have any actual experience with the stuff?

Lew

I have used the green stuff but still prefer 3m blue which is thicker. I
didn't know about the 'rubbing thing' and wouldn't have bought into it
if I had. The wife brought the green stuff home (cute frog and all)
after I had asked her to pick up some additional blue. I tried a roll
out and told her to exchange the remaining rolls please as it seemed
cheap thin crap.

When I tape, I use a putty knife and utility knife to make precise cuts
in corners and joints. I then run the putty knife over the tape to
insure that it adheres. The green stuff tended to ball up (like cheap
blue or cheap masking tape) using this technique.

Honestly, when I got the green stuff where I wanted it, the end result
was equal to the blue. I just find the better quality blue to be easier
and faster to use. Since the prep work takes way more time than
spreading paint I'll vote for the blue.

Wishing I could paint a straight line,
John