Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Frogtape

Has anyone used the gel-edged Frogtape masking tape for painting?

http://www.frogtape.com/How%20FrogTape%20Works.aspx

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Robert Green" wrote:

Has anyone used the gel-edged Frogtape masking tape for painting?

http://www.frogtape.com/How%20FrogTape%20Works.aspx

--
Bobby G.

Holy crap, Batman. I'm gonna use it, that's for sure.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/10/2011 7:46 PM, Robert Green wrote:
Has anyone used the gel-edged Frogtape masking tape for painting?

http://www.frogtape.com/How%20FrogTape%20Works.aspx

--
Bobby G.

Darn! I thought it was something used to repair a Frenchman. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote:
On Thu, 10 Mar 2011 20:46:33 -0500, "Robert Green"
wrote:

Has anyone used the gel-edged Frogtape masking tape for painting?

http://www.frogtape.com/How%20FrogTape%20Works.aspx

I've seen it used by a housewife, on simple texture sheet rock walls.

It still bled paint under the tape edge. No clear straight lines.

And it cost plenty.

Kinda hard NOT to bleed under a textured surface!

Still, when using blue tape (with the wax coating) on a smooth surface,
running butt of the handle of your 97-in-one tool over the tape causes the
wax to slightly melt and make a better seal.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Smitty Two" wrote in message newsrestwhich-
"Robert Green" wrote:

Has anyone used the gel-edged Frogtape masking tape for painting?

http://www.frogtape.com/How%20FrogTape%20Works.aspx

--
Bobby G.

Holy crap, Batman. I'm gonna use it, that's for sure.

It looks good, I was just wondering if anyone here has actually *used* it.
So we have a total of two that might use it! (-:

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ike Ike is offline

wrote:

Has anyone used the gel-edged Frogtape masking tape for painting?

http://www.frogtape.com/How%20FrogTape%20Works.aspx

I've seen it used by a housewife, on simple texture sheet rock walls.

It still bled paint under the tape edge. No clear straight lines.

And it cost plenty.

Kinda hard NOT to bleed under a textured surface!

Still, when using blue tape (with the wax coating) on a smooth surface,
running butt of the handle of your 97-in-one tool over the tape causes the
wax to slightly melt and make a better seal.

I have had good luck with regular painter's tape. I tape the area off
and then put a thin coat of clear glaze along the edges of the tape.
The glaze bleeds under the tape just like paint, but it is clear so
you don't see it. The glaze seals the tape. I let it dry and then
paint over it with latex.

While it takes an extra step, you end up with a clean razor edge line,
even on a textured wall.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 10, 6:46*pm, "Robert Green" wrote:
Has anyone used the gel-edged Frogtape masking tape for painting?

http://www.frogtape.com/How%20FrogTape%20Works.aspx

--
Bobby G.

I tried it. I won't be buying it again. It still bled through.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Has anyone used the gel-edged Frogtape masking tape for painting?

http://www.frogtape.com/How%20FrogTape%20Works.aspx

I've seen it used by a housewife, on simple texture sheet rock walls.

It still bled paint under the tape edge. No clear straight lines.

And it cost plenty.

Kinda hard NOT to bleed under a textured surface!

Still, when using blue tape (with the wax coating) on a smooth surface,
running butt of the handle of your 97-in-one tool over the tape causes the
wax to slightly melt and make a better seal.

I have had good luck with regular painter's tape. I tape the area off
and then put a thin coat of clear glaze along the edges of the tape.
The glaze bleeds under the tape just like paint, but it is clear so
you don't see it. The glaze seals the tape. I let it dry and then
paint over it with latex.

Doesn't that stick the tape to the wall, making a mess when you pull it off?

While it takes an extra step, you end up with a clean razor edge line,
even on a textured wall.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ike Ike is offline

wrote:

[...]

Not if you don't get it on too thick. If you do you can run a razor
blade along the edge to get you through a thick spot.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Robert Green" wrote in message

It looks good, I was just wondering if anyone here has actually *used* it.
So we have a total of two that might use it! (-:

I have. It pulled off paint I had allowed to dry for a couple of days
before applying the tape, requiring me to go back and touch up several
spots. I then discovered the company recommends *three* days of drying
before using the tape, which was not what the guy at the paint store said.
So once again the lesson is: always read the instructions.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

But won't the glaze leak under the tape? ...sticking it to the paint? I
always have problems pulling the paint off underneath.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ike Ike is offline

wrote:

[...]

The glaze is _suppose_to_ leak under the tape. That is why it leaves a
clean edge when you put the paint over the glaze. The paint cannot
leak under the tape because the glaze already has. And no, I have not
had a problem with the tape pulling up the glaze and the original
paint. I suppose it could be an issue if the original paint is ready
to peal off anyway. But then you would have the same problem with
FrogTape.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I haven't tried FrogTape. I have tried the blue painter's tape, which does
leak and does pull up paint under it. It's not an issue of "original", it's
usually new paint that gets damaged. It takes paint a month to cure properly.
For a week it's quite fragile. Having a room torn up for a month waiting for
paint to dry doesn't sit well with SWMBO. ;-)