Junior Member

Default Modify Plantation Shutters - Possible?

Hi, I know this is my first post, but I'm desperate for any information. I've Googled for 4 days and so far I haven't seen anything that says it can be done or that anyone has done it. A friend of mine has some Hunter Douglas Plantation Shutters that they don't want any more. They are too short for my windows but they are more than wide enough if I cut them to size. Well, my husband can. He thinks this is impossible. I think he can do this. It's just a frame as long as the louvers are there - I think that's the essential part.

My window size is like 35.5" wide by 51" long or 71" by 51". The shutters that are available are all like 54 ½ X 35 ½, 39 X 23 ½, 57 X 32, 57 X 36, and so forth. There are more, but you get the gist.

The louver size of 2 ½" is perfect. The color is perfect. He thinks he can't cut apart the existing frame. I think he can. It's not like he doesn't have a workshop because he does. I've explained how much these cost and how much we can save AND we can do the whole house with these.

So - is this remotely possible? Is this just a dream? Am I crazy for even thinking it? Thanks, Laura
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/3/2012 10:21 AM, allowingtoo wrote:
[...]

Typically shutters can be trimmed around the perimeter.

Push come to shove it will be less expensive to build your own.

http://woodworking.rockler.com/c/pla...hutter-program
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 8/3/2012 10:21 AM, allowingtoo wrote:
Hunter Douglas Plantation Shutters that they don't want any more. They
are too short for my windows but they are more than wide enough if I cut
them to size. Well, my husband can. He thinks this is impossible. I
think he can do this. It's just a frame as long as the louvers are
there - I think that's the essential part.

My window size is like 35.5" wide by 51" long or 71" by 51". The
shutters that are available are all like 54 ½ X 35 ½, 39 X 23 ½, 57 X
32, 57 X 36, and so forth. There are more, but you get the gist.

The louver size of 2 ½" is perfect. The color is perfect. He thinks he
can't cut apart the existing frame. I think he can. It's not like he
doesn't have a workshop because he does. I've explained how much these
cost and how much we can save AND we can do the whole house with these.

Well, most anything is _possible_ -- whether it's practical or
achievable is sometimes something else again...

First, are these fixed-slat shutters, I gather? If not the centers
wouldn't align if they're adjustable.

Second are they wood or vinyl or viny-clad or aluminum or somesuch?

Third, what is your thinking on the actual dimension modifications you
think you would have hubby do? What are you intending to do about the
fact they're short? It's one thing to perhaps chop down the width; it's
another to make the height "grow"...

Note that if they're wood the joints are likely glued tenons and if saw
them apart unless there's sufficient width to remake new tenons on the
leftover rails he'll have to cut mortises on the rails for loose tenons
or otherwise make new joints. I'd think it pretty unlikely to be able
to disassemble them nondestructively...

Posted to rec.woodworking

allowingtoo wrote:

[...]

I seem to be missing something.
You said they were to short but more than wide enough.
I didn't see where you specifically say what you want done?

I would say - yes, if their wooden. You can do what you want.
It may be a lot of work though, and any cutting will require paint
matching at minimal. If you want to lengthen them you will need to add
new wood.
Posted to rec.woodworking

allowingtoo wrote:
[...]

Sorry I can't grok your measurements. You say your window size is 35.5" wide
by 51" long OR 71" by 51".

Did you mean your windows are 35.5" tall (vertical) by 51" wide
(horizontal)?

Which is it?

Now if the proposed raw material is wood, your husband can diddle with it
and, with moderate skills and after an incredible amount of time, come up
with a more than adequate result. If the shutters are plastic or metal,
forget it.

A good compromise is for your husband to teach you how to use his tools and
you undertake the job.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 8/3/2012 4:27 PM, HeyBub wrote:

Sorry I can't grok your measurements. You say your window size is 35.5" wide
by 51" long OR 71" by 51".

Did you mean your windows are 35.5" tall (vertical) by 51" wide
(horizontal)?

Which is it?

Single/double units I presume...

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , allowingtoo
wrote:

So - is this remotely possible? Is this just a dream? Am I crazy for
even thinking it?

Possible? Yes.

Worth the time and effort, as opposed to building new ones or buying
the right size? Not in my opinion.

Crazy? No. Lacking the knowledge to judge the time and effort involved?
I think so. That's not a slur on you in any way.
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [color=blue
[i]Well, most anything is _possible_ -- whether it's practical or
achievable is sometimes something else again...

First, are these fixed-slat shutters, I gather? If not the centers
wouldn't align if they're adjustable.

Second are they wood or vinyl or viny-clad or aluminum or somesuch?

Third, what is your thinking on the actual dimension modifications you
think you would have hubby do? What are you intending to do about the
fact they're short? It's one thing to perhaps chop down the width; it's
another to make the height "grow"...

Note that if they're wood the joints are likely glued tenons and if saw
them apart unless there's sufficient width to remake new tenons on the
leftover rails he'll have to cut mortises on the rails for loose tenons
or otherwise make new joints. I'd think it pretty unlikely to be able
to disassemble them nondestructively...--
Ok - this one post is the one that concerns him the most. Yes they are WOOD. They are NOT fixed slat shutters. They are Hunter Douglas high end Plantation shutters. They paid something like $1400.00 for 25 windows for these that I can have if I can salvage them.

The mortise and tendons is what he is concerned about and I am sure he knows what he is talking about. I see a frame. I am right brained and he is left brained. He says he doesn't have the tools to build mortise and tendons.

He went and looked at them today and really liked them and said they were high end. But he didn't think they could be disassembled and remade. He said they even had some kind of special paint job on them. I just keep thinking about trying to make them and pricing the louvers on them and how much those would cost and here we would have those louvers for free - plus all those parts. All that's left is building new frames and cutting down the louvers. Well, there is that paint, now that he's mentioned it.

I priced ONE window for our bedroom (and we need two) 47" wide by 23" high and the cheapest I found was $160 a piece! That's a tiny little window. All of our windows are custom size windows, not stock size.

And yes, the 35.5" wide (x 2) by 51" high is actually 71" long. It's a double window. We have 3 of those windows.

So my thought was - build a new frame - cut down the louvers to size - and add the louvers needed. I'd add a split rail of course.

His worry was disassembly. I figure if they put them together once then they could come apart and be put back together again.

But - like I said - I'm a right brain. He's a left brain. I tend to dive right in and figure it out as I go along. He's more analytical.
Posted to rec.woodworking

allowingtoo wrote:

So my thought was - build a new frame - cut down the louvers to size -
and add the louvers needed.

You might as well just build the whole thing. The louvers are the easy
part.

His worry was disassembly. I figure if they put them together once
then they could come apart and be put back together again.

Suggestion: *YOU* take them apart and let him put them back together

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Maybe just ready for a change? Check it out...
http://www.floridaloghouse.net

Posted to rec.woodworking

He says he doesn't have the tools to build mortise and tendons.

BINGO! What more does one need for buying needed tools and accessories. Don't skimp on the quality and accessories, when you purchase them.

He went and looked at them today and really liked them and said they were high end. But he didn't think they could be disassembled and remade.

With new tools, his increased confidence should help alleviate any self-doubt in performing a reasonable disasembly-reassembly job. A disassemly accessory may include a Hyde prybar (or 2)- http://www.homedepot.com/buy/paint/p...per-64117.html - a good wooden mallet and a steamer unit (for dislodging the M&T joints).

To hone the approach/nuances for the best procedure, first test his new-found disassembly-reassembly skills on a shutter unit that is unlikely to be used, on your windows, before committing to a usable unit.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 8/3/2012 10:47 PM, allowingtoo wrote:

Ok - this one post is the one that concerns him the most. Yes they are
WOOD. They are NOT fixed slat shutters. They are Hunter Douglas high
end Plantation shutters. They paid something like $1400.00 for 25
windows for these that I can have if I can salvage them.

Well, if they're going to simply throw them away you might as well
salvage them; sell them on eBay or Craigs List and use that as a down
payment on what you want/need...

The mortise and tendons is what he is concerned about and I am sure he
knows what he is talking about. I see a frame. I am right brained and
he is left brained. He says he doesn't have the tools to build mortise
and tendons.

It's "tenon" -- a tendon is that thing that holds _you_ together, not a
wood joint.

He went and looked at them today and really liked them and said they
were high end. But he didn't think they could be disassembled and
remade. He said they even had some kind of special paint job on them.

I expect he's right. They will have been glued w/ a very good outdoor
glue that will be stronger than the wood itself. When try to take that
apart it will simply split the wood itself rather than coming apart at
the joint.

just keep thinking about trying to make them and pricing the louvers on
them and how much those would cost and here we would have those louvers
for free - plus all those parts. All that's left is building new frames
and cutting down the louvers. Well, there is that paint, now that he's
mentioned it.

"All" ???

So my thought was - build a new frame - cut down the louvers to size -
and add the louvers needed. I'd add a split rail of course.

His worry was disassembly. I figure if they put them together once then
they could come apart and be put back together again.

Another poster posted the link to the Rockler kits--if he's up to that
you might save a little over custom; I don't know. Essentially all
you're talking of saving from the new ones is the slats because you have
to make new frames any way to fit your windows. It doesn't make sense
to destroy this set of good ones (apparently by your description; makes
one wonder why they're being scrapped) for essentially the cheapest
portion of them.

I'd suggest it isn't a very viable solution, truthfully as you really
wouldn't have anything significant left of the originals when done, anyway.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/3/2012 10:21 AM, allowingtoo wrote:

So - is this remotely possible? Is this just a dream? Am I crazy for
even thinking it? Thanks, Laura

I'm going to be the contrarian on this issue, as thus far it appears I'm
the only one responding to this thread who has actually done what you
are wanting to do.

Providing your husband has a table saw, and way to make loose tenons,
and the used shutters are wider than the new windows they're going to go
in, go for it!

As a builder, I can tell you that it is going to cost upwards of
$1500/window for custom Plantation Shutters, and virtually ALL
Plantation Shutters are _custom_, as there is really no "standard"
window size in the building industry.

What this means is that there is virtually NO market whatsoever for used
Plantation Shutters since, as you have found out, it is rare that you
can install used plantation shutters in existing windows unless you
build the house with windows sized to the used shutters before hand.

Most Plantations Shutters have an outside, _mitered_, frame. This
outside frame is very easy to disassemble and re-assemble as they made
in such a manner that they get their strength from the window opening
frame itself, after they have been installed.

*As long as the shutters themselves have to be made smaller*, it is a
simple matter to cut the stiles off cleanly on a table saw; shorten the
top, bottom and any intermediate rails; and use either a router, or
preferably a device like a Festool Domino, and use loose tenon to put
the shutter frame back together.

Shortening the louvers themseleves is a simple matter on the table saw,
then it's a matter of drilling a hole for the pivot pin, and
reinstalling in the frame before assembling the shutter frame.

Even were you to buy a Festool Domino, and you already have a table saw,
and you had fifteen windows to do, you could save roughly $20,000 by
resizing them ... that is a considerable incentive to give it a try, and
makes excellent economic sense.

In short, this is a doable project, one that will save _considerable_
money, and can be done by anyone with the tools mentioned above who has
a moderate amount of experience using them.

Since you're apparently getting them free, what's to lose by
experimenting on one of the windows before you do the entire bunch? I'm
betting that it will be much easier than those who are apparently
mystified by the relative complexity of the shutters are assuming

AAMOF, I saved well over $15k when I build my home by doing exactly what
you propose. Putting my money where my mouth is, below is a photo of
one, of my house full of Plantation Shutters, that I modified,, as
above, to fit the pictured window. You will note that it is shorter than
the window opening. This is a matter of taste. My original intention was
to make a frame for the top of each window, but my wife rather liked the
idea of an open "light" above the shutters, much like a transom, and we
even have some friends who incorporated that idea into their home.
Besides, it is simple matter to build a matching frame to fit that
opening in any number of esthetically pleasing designs.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...17380539540402

Give a try on one of those free windows ...

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Junior Member

Ok, I see what you are all saying. It doesn't sound feasible. I bow to your greater wisdom - and my husband's of course

It does sound like it would be easier now to start from scratch at this point. Now if I can just get him off the Golf course long enough...oh wait - I know what you're going to say - I can do it.

Glass, electrical & computers I can do. Wood? Those tools scare me. I don't even like watching him use them. He's got those big Grizzly things.

Thank you all
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 8/4/2012 9:13 AM, Swingman wrote:

Most Plantations Shutters have an outside, _mitered_, frame. This
outside frame is very easy to disassemble and re-assemble...

I'm only familiar w/ the ones made by the outfit in OK for whom my BIL
worked, not a Douglas whatever these are or really any others...he did
high-end install all over the country and to HI so these ain't cheap,
either!

They start w/ stock cut to length on a gang saw wide enough for four
rails/stiles and then cut both tenon and full through mortise w/ what
essentially is a spindle shaper cutter on the ends as the blank goes
thru -- both are cut in one operation altho the spindles aren't directly
in line w/ each other.

Then they rip to width and assemble square w/ a cured glue. They do not
come apart at the joint.

If the ones the OP has are as easy to knock down as what you describe
then sure, go for it...

Junior Member

First off - let me just say - if you had seen the house these were coming from!! Let's just say, the rich are different. I'm not one of those by the way.

DH described the paint on these as being a thick epoxied coat - almost a plastic. He said they didn't even look like wood. That's when the doubt factor set in for me. I figure any alterations done could not be matched with paint.

All the plantation shutters I have seen locally were just normal paint, nothing like he was describing. (He's in another state - I can't see them for myself personally)

So, rather than mess up the set, I'll pass on them and let someone else have the chance and hope they can use more of them than I can.

I can't even find a price per square foot for Hunter Douglas Wood Plantation Shutters online. They must be really something.

With a more "normal" set of wood shutters I do think this is possible. Just not these. Ripping through that joint was my intention all along - geez, who has a steamer for this? I've been trying to price stock for louvers and I still can't wrap my head around it though. No wonder these things are so expensive. Building a frame is doable. It's the parts that are a killer.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I figure any alterations done could not be matched with paint. All the plantation shutters I have seen locally were just normal paint, nothing like he was describing.

Well, you take one to your local paint specialist to find out what is on the shutters. Milk paint?

So, rather than mess up the set, I'll pass on them and let someone else have the chance and hope they can use more of them than I can.

That someome may be presented with the same circumstance as you.

With a more "normal" set of wood shutters I do think this is possible. Just not these. Ripping through that joint was my intention all along - geez, who has a steamer for this?

Considering Karl's advice, a steamer wouldn't be needed. You would just cut through the joints. If they are still available, get them. As you work on them, if you have trouble, ask here for further advice, post pics so we can see what the problem may be, etc., etc.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 8/4/2012 9:39 PM, allowingtoo wrote:

DH described the paint on these as being a thick epoxied coat - almost a
plastic. He said they didn't even look like wood. That's when the
doubt factor set in for me. I figure any alterations done could not be
matched with paint.

Might not _be_ wood--I looked at the Hunter Douglas web site to see if
could find closeup picture to try to judge method of construction or if
they bragged on how they were constructed. No luck; almost worthless
site from standpoint of any real data for such purpose...

But, I noticed they did have a couple of product lines that are manmade
materials and thought then that was possible from the description that
may be what these are...

Hard to walk away from what seems like a deal but I suspect is best from
standpoint of getting something useful for your application...at least
any time other than "_real_soon_now_" (tm)

Posted to rec.woodworking

.. Might not _be_ wood--I looked at the Hunter Douglas web site to see if could find closeup picture to try to judge method of construction or if they bragged on how they were constructed. No luck;

I found this, as for as some construction schematics, page down: http://www.blindalley.com/portfolios...heritance.html

The Hunter Douglas site says the finish on wood shutters is an Integra finish: http://www.integracoatings.com/html/..._products.html Contacting Hunter Douglas might help with further info, regarding this finish.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

I tried posting this earlier, but it hasn't shown, yet. If it double posts, oh well.

Here are some construction schematics - page down: http://www.blindalley.com/portfolios...heritance.html

The Hunter Douglas site says the finish on wood shutters is an Integra finish. http://www.integracoatings.com/html/..._products.html

Maybe contact Hunter Douglas for more info on the finish.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 8/5/2012 8:03 AM, wrote:
. Might not _be_ wood--I looked at the Hunter Douglas web site to
see if could find closeup picture to try to judge method of
construction or if they bragged on how they were constructed. No luck;

I found this, as for as some construction schematics, page down:

http://www.blindalley.com/portfolios/hunterdouglas/heritance.html

Yeah, something of that type is more like I would expect--ain't agonna'
do anything other than saw them apart w/o destroying the material.

Way on down in the tilting section they show a sketch w/ a stub
tenon--that's more what the OK outfit now does except theirs is a
full-length thru tenon on painted product. They also use an epoxy
finish altho I don't believe it's Integra. It covers the joint where
it's impossible to tell it's there. I've seen some that are 15 yr or so
and still no signs of movement or telegraphing of joints in them.

Recently the number of natural wood calls has been much smaller in their
business altho they still can make one more on the line of the dovetail.
I never seen them use a miter although they could have in other
products I've not seen of course.

About 10 yr ago the BIL did a CA installation for a celebrity that was
all matched hardwoods -- cherry in a kitchen, various others in other
interior locations. The job went at around a half-mil just for their
shutters and cabinetry...he was there between 3-4 months on the install
over a roughly six month span. He left and went out on own a few years
ago owing primarily to just being worn out traveling all the time.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 8/5/2012 9:18 AM, dpb wrote:

Way on down in the tilting section they show a sketch w/ a stub
tenon--...

Oh, I just went to close the link and see I looked too quickly--that's
the dovetail just the perspective unless you look carefully doesn't show
up the angle...

Anyway, still they ain't coming apart other than just sawing them apart
and then you're at rebuilding all the joints and matching an impossible
to match at home finish if do put back together w/ loose tenons or some
other way...

It's formidable task for a home handyman kinda' shop guy that sounds
like OPs hubby is...not totally impossible but not likely agonna' happen
I'd think.

Posted to rec.woodworking

dpb wrote:
On 8/5/2012 9:18 AM, dpb wrote:

Way on down in the tilting section they show a sketch w/ a stub
tenon--...

Oh, I just went to close the link and see I looked too quickly--that's
the dovetail just the perspective unless you look carefully doesn't show up the angle...

Anyway, still they ain't coming apart other than just sawing them apart
and then you're at rebuilding all the joints and matching an impossible
to match at home finish if do put back together w/ loose tenons or some other way...

It's formidable task for a home handyman kinda' shop guy that sounds like
OPs hubby is...not totally impossible but not likely agonna' happen I'd think.

To resize the _wooden_ shutter doors smaller in width, you only cut the
rails away from the stiles on one side; and the dovetail construction,
because the glued part of the tail is left in the socket in the cutaway
stile, actually makes It easier to rebuild the joint with a loose tenon or
dowel. Only two new joints for each shutter door.

BTDT ....

--
www.ewoodshop.com
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 8/5/2012 1:07 PM, Swingman wrote:

To resize the _wooden_ shutter doors smaller in width, you only cut the
rails away from the stiles on one side; and the dovetail construction,
because the glued part of the tail is left in the socket in the cutaway
stile, actually makes It easier to rebuild the joint with a loose tenon or
dowel. Only two new joints for each shutter door.

BTDT ....

Oh, certainly it's _possible_ and if only were needing to cut down the
width it wouldn't be too bad but here not only does she have to have the
width cut down they've got to "grow" in height so essentially it's
building a new frame. I don't get the feeling the hubby is up to
that...and for a casual, matching the finish so they look like something
isn't a fall off the log operation either...

Posted to rec.woodworking

dpb wrote:
On 8/5/2012 1:07 PM, Swingman wrote:

To resize the _wooden_ shutter doors smaller in width, you only cut the
rails away from the stiles on one side; and the dovetail construction,
because the glued part of the tail is left in the socket in the cutaway
stile, actually makes It easier to rebuild the joint with a loose tenon or
dowel. Only two new joints for each shutter door.

BTDT ....

Oh, certainly it's _possible_ and if only were needing to cut down the
width it wouldn't be too bad but here not only does she have to have the
width cut down they've got to "grow" in height so essentially it's building a new frame.

A point which I both qualified, and addressed, in my only other post in
thread, including a photo.

--
www.ewoodshop.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 05 Aug 2012 16:47:12 -0500, Swingman wrote:

dpb wrote:
On 8/5/2012 1:07 PM, Swingman wrote:

To resize the _wooden_ shutter doors smaller in width, you only cut the
rails away from the stiles on one side; and the dovetail construction,
because the glued part of the tail is left in the socket in the cutaway
stile, actually makes It easier to rebuild the joint with a loose tenon or
dowel. Only two new joints for each shutter door.

BTDT ....

Oh, certainly it's _possible_ and if only were needing to cut down the
width it wouldn't be too bad but here not only does she have to have the
width cut down they've got to "grow" in height so essentially it's building a new frame.

I guess your expected to anticipate all design elements, provide
drawings and an estimate before commenting. Geez someone would think
your a contractor. Oh don't forget the contractor shall verify all
codes and drawings. As in he's responsible to cover the architects
and engineers assses.

Mike M
A point which I both qualified, and addressed, in my only other post in
thread, including a photo.

Posted to rec.woodworking

dpb wrote:
[...]

I probably did not emphasize the obvious enough in my first post ... the
best candidate for fitting an existing window with a used plantation
shutter is to select one to be reworked that is wider than the window,
and a bit shorter (the resulting space at the top can be filled in with
trim or a transom type inset that matches the PS).

Messing with the height means you have a major rework of the both
louvers, and the space they fill, making it much less worth the effort.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

To resize the _wooden_ shutter doors smaller in width, you only cut
the rails away from the stiles on one side; and the dovetail
construction, because the glued part of the tail is left in the
socket in the cutaway stile, actually makes It easier to rebuild the
joint with a loose tenon or dowel. Only two new joints for each
shutter door.

Except they have to get longer as well as narrower. Even so, I've changed
my mind, now think it is a doable task.

Basically, they want/need to save the rails and louvers. Seems to me one
stile should be crosscut just at the inboard side of each rail so that the
louver pins aren't cut. After removing the cut stile, the louvers should
come out nicely. I'd save the cut stile, cut out the part that has louver
holes and use it as a template for making the necessary new holes.

They need to shorten the louvers. A consideration in doing so is how the
tilt bar is attached/fitted. They may have to shorten the louvers by
cutting equal amounts from each end of the louvers.

Since they want to rebuild for taller windows, they may not have enough
louvers. Easy to make if they are flat; if milled it would be harder.
Replacement louvers are available but may be pricey...the one place I looked
wanted $19.50 each. They also need more pins; fortunately, those are cheap.

The new stiles aren't a big problem; as you said, dowels or loose tenons
would work. If the new frame is enough narrower to allow it (old rails long
enough), half laps would work too and they are easy to do.

Of course, the new ones would need painting. Anyone that has ever tried to
paint louvers with a brush knows that it is an exercise in extreme
masochism. If the guy already has spray painting equipment, fine; if not he
needs to buy something, even if it is only a cheapo airless. I know everone
here despises Wagner but the one I bought specifically for louvers some 22
years ago worked just fine. And Harbor Freight has the Chinese version for
less than $15.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Maybe just ready for a change? Check it out...
http://www.floridaloghouse.net

Posted to rec.woodworking

dpb wrote:
[...]

And "always" attach with clear silicone caulk for permanency! ;~O

Plantation shutters? tiny dancer Woodworking 2 November 28th 05 08:48 AM
Plantation Shutters Gnat Home Repair 1 March 17th 05 08:21 PM
Plantation Shutters Gnat Home Repair 0 March 17th 05 06:01 PM
Build or Modify Plantation Shutters? Chuck Woodworking 16 December 10th 04 05:34 AM
Plantation shutters - in or out? Billy Home Ownership 11 June 13th 04 03:46 AM