Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Hide Glue

Hi Group, Is there and easy way to dissolve hide glue. We need to take
some wood chairs apart to repair them. Thanks, Jim

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/24/2012 3:13 PM, James wrote:
Hi Group, Is there and easy way to dissolve hide glue. We need to take
some wood chairs apart to repair them. Thanks, Jim

Steam is probably the best way.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 7/24/2012 3:13 PM, James wrote:
Hi Group, Is there and easy way to dissolve hide glue. We need to take
some wood chairs apart to repair them. Thanks, Jim

Heat, basically.

Above about 140-145F if it is indeed old hide glue it will tend to
reliquify and let go.

An iron w/ damp cloth is generally the toolset of choice...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 24 Jul 2012 15:13:19 -0500, James wrote:

Hi Group, Is there and easy way to dissolve hide glue. We need to take
some wood chairs apart to repair them. Thanks, Jim

Injecting alcohol into the joint will work if you can get enough in
there, but the steam method others have suggested works well also. But
too much steam can warp/damage the surrounding wood. I've heard of
wrapping everything around the joint with waterproof tape, but only if
you're going to refinish the chair anyway.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry Blanchard" wrote in message
On Tue, 24 Jul 2012 15:13:19 -0500, James wrote:

Hi Group, Is there and easy way to dissolve hide glue. We need to take
some wood chairs apart to repair them. Thanks, Jim

Injecting alcohol into the joint will work if you can get enough in
there, but the steam method others have suggested works well also. But
too much steam can warp/damage the surrounding wood. I've heard of
wrapping everything around the joint with waterproof tape, but only if
you're going to refinish the chair anyway.

If the objective is to try and reactivate the glue after repairing the
joint, then steam or heat is the way to go. I like using alcohol but that
causes the glue to denature and crystallize making it fail so the joint can
be disassembled. The residual glue must be then removed and fresh glue
added to reglue the joint.

Good Luck.

Posted to rec.woodworking

James wrote:

Hi Group, Is there and easy way to dissolve hide glue. We need to take
some wood chairs apart to repair them. Thanks, Jim

You can make a simple steam injector with a teakettle (this was
something I saw in an old woodworking book).

Get
three corks (A, B, C) (whichever is cork C needs to fit tightly into the
kettle spout),
maybe a couple of feet of tubing (1/2" might work well),
a needle tip (large kind used for gluing or such),

Drill a hole in two corks (A and B) to fit the tube snug.
Drill a hole HALF way through the last cork (C) the same as the other corks.
Push tube through the cork A until enough protrudes to place cork C on
(both corks should touch). Push the tube into cork B (can push enough
through so it comes out the other side a little).

Place cork B into the spout of the teakettle. Insert the needle into
cord C so the steam flowing from the kettle through the tube can come
out the needle.

Now just drill a small hole in the joint large enough for the needle and
the steam should dissolve the bond.

The whole can be filled and sanded so it wont be noticed.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Michael Joel wrote:

SNIP
three corks (A, B, C) (whichever is cork C needs to fit tightly into the
kettle spout),

Correction (sorry) that should of course be
(whichever is cork B needs to fit tightly into the kettle spout)

Natural, water-resistant glue such as casein or hide glue? JakeD UK diy 22 December 11th 07 02:15 PM
Hide glue Tim Taylor Woodworking 18 November 8th 06 08:43 PM
hide glue help Frank Boettcher Woodworking 2 January 11th 06 11:42 PM
To use hide glue? [email protected] Woodworking 24 November 14th 05 12:55 AM
About Hot Hide Glue Lawrence L'Hote Woodworking 1 May 9th 04 03:43 AM