Posted to rec.woodworking

Default perplexing situation

Ok -- I'm not some newbie sawdust maker without experience. I've built many
pieces of furniture over the years but this has me baffled -- at least
tonight. I'm building a bed. the foot baord has 5 slat between the top and
bottom rail - out side are ~3" wide, the next 2 are ~4.5" wide and the
middle one is ~8" wide. The inside distance between the top and bottom
rails is ~ 9". Morstices in the rails were laid and cut at the same time as
well as the tenons for the slats. The rails are the same length using the
"finger test" when they're laid on top of each other. So far so good I
thought. When I put it together for the 1st time to see where the tenons
into the post should go I couldn't get the rail ends to line up. If I
squared one side the top rail was ~3/16 shorter than the bottom rail. I
know it sounds crazy I checked and rechecked. All the edges are square, the
slats are the same length. It's almost like the bottom rail edge is concave
but it's straight. what am I missing -- sanity -- common sense? both??
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 23 Jul 2012 02:39:03 GMT, 4fingers wrote:

[...]

Borrow a 24" dial or electronic caliper. I'll bet that either your
mortises are offset or your slat lengths (or tenon centering) are off.

--
In the depth of winter, I finally learned
that within me there lay an invincible summer.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/22/2012 10:57 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Borrow a 24" dial or electronic caliper. I'll bet that either your
mortises are offset or your slat lengths (or tenon centering) are off.

Could you have copied your motise locations to the wrong side, instead
of making a mirror, you repeated the same mortises? So now you have a
parallelogram instead of a square.

How about some pics.. might help seeing it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

4fingers wrote in
5.250:

[...]

I suspect that your "square" isn't.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 23 Jul 2012 11:34:05 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller
I suspect that your "square" isn't.

You're probably right. One of those things that with just the
slightest variance, increasingly skews every measurement that follows.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 22 Jul 2012 19:57:34 -0700, Larry Jaques wrote:

Borrow a 24" dial or electronic caliper. I'll bet that either your
mortises are offset or your slat lengths (or tenon centering) are off.

One possible fix would be to narrow the bottom edges of the slats a
little so you'd have some adjustment room. I say the bottom edge because
the resulting small gaps would be covered by the mattress and box springs.

Totally perplexing plumbing GB UK diy 9 March 29th 11 04:51 PM
Perplexing Hot Water Problem cyd Home Repair 10 July 25th 08 06:12 PM
Perplexing Hot Water Problem cyd Home Repair 1 July 10th 08 01:39 PM
Perplexing CD Player Problem John Keiser Electronics Repair 5 February 12th 05 12:02 AM