Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Dumb and dumber

Me, that is. I am so PO'd at myself. As you may recall, I'm building a
drum sander. Ordered and installed the hook and loop stuff for the
drum, only to discover that I installed the fuzzy stuff instead of the
nubby stuff. Needless to say, the sandpaper won't adhere. So I've
re-ordered and now need to get the wrong stuff off the drum.

Any thought about what I can use to help remove the adhesive backed
fuzzy stuff? The drum is a series of 3/4" plywood disks.

Larry (the moron)
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Gramp's shop" wrote in message
Me, that is. I am so PO'd at myself. As you may recall, I'm building a
drum sander. Ordered and installed the hook and loop stuff for the drum,
only to discover that I installed the fuzzy stuff instead of the nubby
stuff. Needless to say, the sandpaper won't adhere. So I've re-ordered
and now need to get the wrong stuff off the drum.

Any thought about what I can use to help remove the adhesive backed fuzzy
stuff? The drum is a series of 3/4" plywood disks.

Not really sure. But if you can rig up some kind of support, you could run
the drum and use a chisel to lightly take it off. Kinda like a big lathe.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Gramp's shop wrote:
Me, that is. I am so PO'd at myself. As you may recall, I'm
building a drum sander. Ordered and installed the hook and loop
stuff for the drum, only to discover that I installed the fuzzy stuff
instead of the nubby stuff. Needless to say, the sandpaper won't
adhere. So I've re-ordered and now need to get the wrong stuff off
the drum.
Any thought about what I can use to help remove the adhesive backed
fuzzy stuff? The drum is a series of 3/4" plywood disks.

Larry (the moron)

Have you tried goo-gone or simple cigarette lighter fluid yet? Both will
disolve the adhesive. You will probably have to work your way around it,
but it should work. Let your wood disks dry out afterwards, and go at it
again.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike Marlow wrote:
Gramp's shop wrote:
Me, that is. I am so PO'd at myself. As you may recall, I'm
building a drum sander. Ordered and installed the hook and loop
stuff for the drum, only to discover that I installed the fuzzy stuff
instead of the nubby stuff. Needless to say, the sandpaper won't
adhere. So I've re-ordered and now need to get the wrong stuff off
the drum.
Any thought about what I can use to help remove the adhesive backed
fuzzy stuff? The drum is a series of 3/4" plywood disks.

Larry (the moron)

Have you tried goo-gone or simple cigarette lighter fluid yet? Both will
disolve the adhesive. You will probably have to work your way around it,
but it should work. Let your wood disks dry out afterwards, and go at it
again.

Second on the lighter fluid. It's works great for removing stickers
from your windshield, and most anywhere you have gummy stickers.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 15, 9:21*pm, Gramp's shop wrote:

Me, that is. *I am so PO'd at myself. *As you may recall, I'm building a
drum sander. *Ordered and installed the hook and loop stuff for the
drum, only to discover that I installed the fuzzy stuff instead of the
nubby stuff. *Needless to say, the sandpaper won't adhere. *So I've
re-ordered and now need to get the wrong stuff off the drum.

Any thought about what I can use to help remove the adhesive backed
fuzzy stuff? *The drum is a series of 3/4" plywood disks.

Larry (the moron)

Larry, no offense, but if the two of us started comparing stories of
dumb things we did, you'd come in a distant third.

I'd start with a heat gun and scraper/pliers/whatever to get the nylon
loop stuff off, then do a final clean up with Goof Off or Goo Gone or
Goo Be Do Be Do (with apologies to Frank Sinatra).

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 15 Jul 2012 20:21:58 -0500, Gramp's shop
Any thought about what I can use to help remove the adhesive backed
fuzzy stuff? The drum is a series of 3/4" plywood disks.

I use OrangeApeel. It really is a very good adhesive remover and
doesn't smell like some of the commercial adhesive removers.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...51&cat=51&ap=1
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Gramp's shop" wrote in message
Me, that is. I am so PO'd at myself. As you may recall, I'm building a
drum sander. Ordered and installed the hook and loop stuff for the drum,
only to discover that I installed the fuzzy stuff instead of the nubby
stuff. Needless to say, the sandpaper won't adhere. So I've re-ordered
and now need to get the wrong stuff off the drum.

Any thought about what I can use to help remove the adhesive backed fuzzy
stuff? The drum is a series of 3/4" plywood disks.

Larry (the moron)

Larry.... I use a heat gun (low setting) to soften adhesives. I even have
removed formica sheets off of cabnets when I have made a mistake
installing.. Go esay on the heat (slowly) WW

Posted to rec.woodworking

RicodJour wrote:
On Jul 15, 9:21 pm, Gramp's shop wrote:

Me, that is. I am so PO'd at myself. As you may recall, I'm building
a drum sander. Ordered and installed the hook and loop stuff for the
drum, only to discover that I installed the fuzzy stuff instead of
the nubby stuff. Needless to say, the sandpaper won't adhere. So I've
re-ordered and now need to get the wrong stuff off the drum.

Any thought about what I can use to help remove the adhesive backed
fuzzy stuff? The drum is a series of 3/4" plywood disks.

Larry (the moron)

Larry, no offense, but if the two of us started comparing stories of
dumb things we did, you'd come in a distant third.

I'd start with a heat gun and scraper/pliers/whatever to get the nylon
loop stuff off, then do a final clean up with Goof Off or Goo Gone or
Goo Be Do Be Do (with apologies to Frank Sinatra).

I concur with the heat gun as a first line of offense...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Gramp's shop" wrote in message
Me, that is. I am so PO'd at myself. As you may recall, I'm building a
drum sander. Ordered and installed the hook and loop stuff for the drum,
only to discover that I installed the fuzzy stuff instead of the nubby
stuff. Needless to say, the sandpaper won't adhere. So I've re-ordered
and now need to get the wrong stuff off the drum.

Any thought about what I can use to help remove the adhesive backed fuzzy
stuff? The drum is a series of 3/4" plywood disks.

Larry (the moron)

WD-40 works great to take spray adhesives off

Posted to rec.woodworking

WW wrote:

Larry.... I use a heat gun (low setting) to soften adhesives. I
even have removed formica sheets off of cabnets when I have made a
mistake installing.. Go esay on the heat (slowly) WW

Agreed - but a word of caution... Watch the material carefully, all the
while that you are applying heat. And - keep the heat moving. Don't expect
to hold it on a spot until you notice a reaction to the heat then then start
moving the heat - it will likely be too late by then. Gently wave the heat
and let patience (what in the hell is that?...) be your guide.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Gramp's shop wrote in
:

Me, that is. I am so PO'd at myself. As you may recall, I'm building
a drum sander. Ordered and installed the hook and loop stuff for the
drum, only to discover that I installed the fuzzy stuff instead of the
nubby stuff. Needless to say, the sandpaper won't adhere. So I've
re-ordered and now need to get the wrong stuff off the drum.

Any thought about what I can use to help remove the adhesive backed
fuzzy stuff? The drum is a series of 3/4" plywood disks.

Larry (the moron)

Can you get a knife or something under part of the fuzzy side?
Sometimes simple physical removal is the best option.

Try a putty knife first, then go to something sharp.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Me, that is. I am so PO'd at myself. As you may recall, I'm building a
drum sander. Ordered and installed the hook and loop stuff for the
drum, only to discover that I installed the fuzzy stuff instead of the
nubby stuff. Needless to say, the sandpaper won't adhere. So I've
re-ordered and now need to get the wrong stuff off the drum.

Any thought about what I can use to help remove the adhesive backed
fuzzy stuff? The drum is a series of 3/4" plywood disks.

1 lathe + 1 sharp tool = 1 mess and 1 clean(er) drum.

--
Win first, Fight later.

--martial principle of the Samurai
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Gramp's shop" wrote in message
Me, that is. I am so PO'd at myself. As you may recall, I'm building a
drum sander. Ordered and installed the hook and loop stuff for the drum,
only to discover that I installed the fuzzy stuff instead of the nubby
stuff. Needless to say, the sandpaper won't adhere. So I've re-ordered
and now need to get the wrong stuff off the drum.

Any thought about what I can use to help remove the adhesive backed fuzzy
stuff? The drum is a series of 3/4" plywood disks.

Larry (the moron)

Here's what we used to do in the convention industry: Slooooooooowly peel
what you can. Keep the old stuff that comes off, and daub the glue side to
the remaining glue on the glue retaining piece, and pull it off a little at
a time. I'd estimate it at about a three six pack job.

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Puckdropper" puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote in message
eb.com...
Gramp's shop wrote in
:

Me, that is. I am so PO'd at myself. As you may recall, I'm building
a drum sander. Ordered and installed the hook and loop stuff for the
drum, only to discover that I installed the fuzzy stuff instead of the
nubby stuff. Needless to say, the sandpaper won't adhere. So I've
re-ordered and now need to get the wrong stuff off the drum.

Any thought about what I can use to help remove the adhesive backed
fuzzy stuff? The drum is a series of 3/4" plywood disks.

Larry (the moron)

Can you get a knife or something under part of the fuzzy side?
Sometimes simple physical removal is the best option.

Try a putty knife first, then go to something sharp.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

Have a supply of band aids ready. I like those cloth ones that stick good.

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

Gramp's shop wrote:
Me, that is. I am so PO'd at myself. As you may recall, I'm building a
drum sander. Ordered and installed the hook and loop stuff for the
drum, only to discover that I installed the fuzzy stuff instead of the
nubby stuff. Needless to say, the sandpaper won't adhere. So I've
re-ordered and now need to get the wrong stuff off the drum.

Any thought about what I can use to help remove the adhesive backed
fuzzy stuff? The drum is a series of 3/4" plywood disks.

Larry (the moron)

Heat or lighter fluid (but not at the same time) sounds ok. I would
not use goo gone or any similar stuff because it MIGHT soak into the
wood and prevent the nubby stuff from adhering. Same with WD-40.
Note: I have not had any experience with any of this, just trying to
think ahead.

--
G.W. Ross

It is bad luck to be superstitious.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 15, 9:21*pm, Gramp's shop wrote:
Me, that is. *I am so PO'd at myself. *As you may recall, I'm building a
drum sander. *Ordered and installed the hook and loop stuff for the
drum, only to discover that I installed the fuzzy stuff instead of the
nubby stuff. *Needless to say, the sandpaper won't adhere. *So I've
re-ordered and now need to get the wrong stuff off the drum.

Any thought about what I can use to help remove the adhesive backed
fuzzy stuff? *The drum is a series of 3/4" plywood disks.

Larry (the moron)

Hey Larry,
Is there some type of interface that has nubby on both faces? You
could apply that first and then attach your sandpaper to the new
surface.
The downside may be that the sanding surface would not be as rigid as
if it were directly affixed to the drum.

Marc (the More moron)