Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Hinges that will hold a cabinet door open at 180 degrees

I'm still planning a project to do with my teenage daughter. It is to
be a mirror with storage for her various hair and makeup items. I
originally envisioned what would essentially be a bathroom medicine
cabinet with a mirrored door. I may still do it that way, as it would
be simpler.

But I'm flirting with a different idea now: a cabinet the same size as
I had planned before, but with the mirror inside it. There would be
two doors side-by-side, each with perhaps three small "tool racks" on
the inner side. These would hold makeup brushes and such. Perhaps a
couple of them would be shelves with lips instead. With the doors
open, the mirror would be visible and the "tools" would be accessible
on the door racks.

I'm wondering if someone makes a hinge, preferably hidden, that has
two "detent" positions; one closed and one open 180 degrees. The
purpose would be to keep the doors from flapping around as she selects
items from the racks.