Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Wood cleaning

I have an older Sea Nymph boat, an aluminum boat with a wood transom. Over
the years, the transom has received a lot of gas and oil. I think this may
have even been good as a preservative. The outside is skinned with
aluminum, the inside is open wood.

What would be a good way to clean this without agressively attacking it and
degrading the wood? I was thinking of spraying a degreaser, followed by
power washing at a distance of about 18" with a wide tip. Do this a couple
of times, maybe use Mean Green, or just Dawn dishwashing liquid, or even
Gunk. Just don't let it sit too long, then don't overblast it with a power
washer.

Then what? Varathane? Boiled linseed oil? I heard of a mix of linseed
oil, mineral spirits, and varnish. I want it to look nice, and realize at
this age, I can't expect full restoration.

Anyone have any ideas?

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

Don't power wash it. It will definitely require deep sanding after.
Once you power wash it, you get all these hairs that if you finished
would be splinters.. Just like doing a deck. I now sand my deck, I don't
power wash it anymore.

The dawn is a good start. Then let it dry out.
Then try some acetone for cleaning. You probably won't get the last bit
of oil out.

Sand it.

Try some boiled linseed oil. Let it dry a few days before varnishing.

On 7/12/2012 12:54 AM, Steve B wrote:
Then what? Varathane? Boiled linseed oil? I heard of a mix of linseed
oil, mineral spirits, and varnish. I want it to look nice, and realize at
this age, I can't expect full restoration.

Anyone have any ideas?

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

Steve B wrote:
I have an older Sea Nymph boat, an aluminum boat with a wood transom.
Over the years, the transom has received a lot of gas and oil. I
think this may have even been good as a preservative. The outside is
skinned with aluminum, the inside is open wood.

What would be a good way to clean this without agressively attacking
it and degrading the wood? I was thinking of spraying a degreaser,
followed by power washing at a distance of about 18" with a wide tip.
Do this a couple of times, maybe use Mean Green, or just Dawn
dishwashing liquid, or even Gunk. Just don't let it sit too long,
then don't overblast it with a power washer.

Then what? Varathane? Boiled linseed oil? I heard of a mix of
linseed oil, mineral spirits, and varnish. I want it to look nice,
and realize at this age, I can't expect full restoration.

Anyone have any ideas?

I put a teak transom on my 42' sailboat. I always kept it varnished so I
can't speak to cleaning raw wood but what you propose doesn't seem awful to
me with one omission...sanding. After you get off any surface crud, sand
it. Then varnish with alkyd or phenolic varnish - not poly and not spar -
that has an UV inhibitor. I say "not poly" because you will have to
periodically renew the varnish and regular varnish is much easier to sand
than poly. When you renew, you need not go to bare wood, just sand off the
oxidized layer. That is true with wood or paint...try to sand off no more
than you will be reapplying.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Maybe just ready for a change? Check it out...
http://www.floridaloghouse.net

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Steve B" wrote in message
[...]

First, use dishwashing detergent. A dilute solution of Dawn is perfect.
Use lots of fresh rags. Rinse the wood down with fresh water before wiping
it as dry as you can. Typically, I avoid getting the wood sopping wet but
this is a boat so you may not have to worry. Give the wood a chance to
thoroughly dry after wiping down. You can then use a degreaser. Most of
these require a water rinse so you will be back to wiping dry and then
allowing the wood to finish thoroughly drying by itself. If the wood is
graying, you can use a deck brightener containing oxalic acid or phosphoric
acid. Keep in mind that the brightening effect is only a millimeter or so
thick. If you sand to remove the "fuzzies", make sure you sand only very
lightly or you will sand through to the gray again.

As for finishing, you need something that has UV and mildew / mold
inhibitors in it. Oil is easy to apply but requires frequent applications.
A film finish like a varnish or polyurethane will last longer but when it
has to be redone, it requires stripping. There is no perfect solution but
you can space out how frequently you have to restore the finish by using the
right products and protecting the wood as much as you can from sun and
water. I guess this is where canvas covers come into play.

Good Luck.

wood burning and chimney cleaning N_Cook UK diy 32 February 22nd 12 02:37 PM
Cleaning wood doors John UK diy 3 July 9th 08 12:08 AM
CLEANING WOOD FLOOR BrianInNY Woodworking 9 December 4th 06 01:30 PM
Advice on cleaning up some wood Vince Heuring Woodworking 8 April 7th 06 12:44 AM
Wood cleaning & advice, please! Dave Jennings UK diy 2 September 23rd 03 09:00 PM