Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Japanese Shoji Paper - PVC laminated?

On 7/7/2012 1:27 PM, Swingman wrote:
Based on Robotoy's mention, I approached a client about using this, in
lieu of opaque glass, on two desk doors:

http://tatamiroom.com/cgi-local/cata...JI_PAPER-10#4S

She "LOVED it!" picked out the "Shoji Warlon Sheet#5-Extra Strength" on
the above page, and I just ordered it this morning.

Never used the stuff before ... anyone with some experience have an idea
of how best to both cut, and mount, this material in place of glass in a
door?

For those taking notes:

Got call today from Samurai Shoji San installer:

1. Cut sheet material 1/16" undersize of opening, with fresh sharp
utility knife and using t-Square.

2. Mount to rabbets and muntin grille with any quality, double sided
tape, as needed.

He said you could use silicon (extremely messy), or Warlon Sheet Bond
(available only in Japanese stores), but the double sided tape would
work as well, and have the plus of the owner being able to remove/change
in the future.

We'll soon see if it is as easy as it sounds ...

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 10 Jul 2012 16:18:56 -0500, Swingman wrote:

[...]

Looks similar to the U-tube video, but the double tape was great
input, gives you better chance to recover if needed. Using the real
sharp razor knife give you the oportunity to just take your time.
Looking forward to seeing the finished project. I like the idea.

Mike M
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/11/2012 7:22 PM, Mike M wrote:
[...]

Yeah ... and it was watching your video link that made the dialog with
the dude much more productive.

Thanks again!

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/11/2012 8:30 PM, Swingman wrote:

1. Cut sheet material 1/16" undersize of opening, with fresh sharp
utility knife and using t-Square.

2. Mount to rabbets and muntin grille with any quality, double sided
tape, as needed.

He said you could use silicon (extremely messy), or Warlon Sheet Bond
(available only in Japanese stores), but the double sided tape would
work as well, and have the plus of the owner being able to remove/change
in the future.

The Laminated Shoji paper arrived yesterday evening via FedEx, rolled up
in a tube.

Mounted it this morning (with assistance from a friend of ours who has a
picture framing shop in the neighborhood), and using double sided tape
as above. Good thing to, because it takes at least four hands of the
"never did this before variety":

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...78805641652994

Two photos in a row.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 14 Jul 2012 12:39:31 -0500, Swingman wrote:

[...]

Looks really good. I'm assuming using the laminated sheet makes it
easier to install with out any possible wrinkles showing? If you
were doing it solo could you do it like you were doing contact glue
and support it above the tape as you had it so the double tape was
beneath the surface? I really like how the light background makes the
frame pop out.

Mike M

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/14/2012 1:24 PM, Mike M wrote:
[...]

You could pretty much use the same technique used for laminating any
substrate, except with this stuff it is better, at least for the
inexperienced, to start at one end and work your way to the other ...
one person holding one end up high, with an arc toward the end where the
application is starting; and the other person guiding and pressing the
material to tape, working toward the high held end ... with only +1/32"
clearance side to side, and top to bottom, the start is critical.

Actually much easier than it sounds, but I would still want four hands
on the job because, even laminated, you would probably ruin the stuff if
you had to start over.

Both sheets were cut to 16 9/16 x 24 3/16, so at roughly $10 linear
foot, including shipping, it cost a tad over $16/door. The 3' x 6' roll
was $66.70 with shipping.

That's very reasonable, IMO ... and I have plenty for two more doors of
the same size left.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 14 Jul 2012 14:48:04 -0500, Swingman wrote:

[...]

Got it, no option to trim later, if you get off your stuck pulling it
up.
Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

Wow, you're trusting. I might have taped strings to the protective
tape and slowly removed them as I stuck the shoji paper down,
lengthwise. And I'd have installed a center bridge to keep the thing
from sagging in the middle, ensuring a tight fit.

Looks good when done. I bet the texture and nuances of the paper
shows up better in person than in the photo.

--
A human being must have occupation if he or
she is not to become a nuisance to the world.

We need to find -jobs- for our CONgresscritters!
-- Larry Jaques

Japanese Shoji Paper - PVC laminated? Swingman Woodworking 40 July 12th 12 02:25 AM
Fitting laminated end trims to laminated worktop - how to cut/shape? Tiny Tim UK diy 6 March 9th 06 07:12 PM
Shoji lamp plans? Andrew Barss Woodworking 5 October 12th 05 06:22 PM
Shoji screen doors Demon Woodworking 1 May 2nd 05 10:25 PM
A question about making shoji screens or room dividers Dick Snyder Woodworking 17 March 24th 05 12:33 PM