Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Glue question

Do any of you use upholstery glue? I am building some boat seats. Plywood
base, 4" foam sold at Home Depot, Sunbrella canvas. I would like some spray
foam adhesive, but there is a lot out there, and Goddam expensive at that,
too.

Suggestions appreciated.

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/25/2012 4:08 PM, Steve B wrote:
Do any of you use upholstery glue? I am building some boat seats. Plywood
base, 4" foam sold at Home Depot, Sunbrella canvas. I would like some spray
foam adhesive, but there is a lot out there, and Goddam expensive at that,
too.

Suggestions appreciated.

Steve

Why worry about the cost of glue? I thought the very definition of a
boat was a hole in the water you pour money into.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Steve B wrote:
Do any of you use upholstery glue? I am building some boat seats. Plywood
base, 4" foam sold at Home Depot, Sunbrella canvas. I would
like some spray foam adhesive, but there is a lot out there, and
Goddam expensive at that, too.

Suggestions appreciated.

What do you want the adhesive for Steve? You don't need it for the foam,
but many do use it all the same. For the canvas, you don't want adhesive.
You want to staple that.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 25 Jun 2012 18:05:18 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 6/25/2012 5:08 PM, Steve B wrote:
Do any of you use upholstery glue? I am building some boat seats. Plywood
base, 4" foam sold at Home Depot, Sunbrella canvas. I would like some spray
foam adhesive, but there is a lot out there, and Goddam expensive at that,
too.

Suggestions appreciated.

3M

I use 3M Super 77 on my NoteSHADE glare guards because I have to. It's
the only one which lays down an even coat of glue. I glue ripstop
nylon to the thin foam and it telegraphs any depth of glue glop.

The others are fine for regular upholstery, gluing foam to boards or
batting to foam. Sprayway and DAP were good glues but both tended to
glop out of the spray head.

I recently saw Super 77 at $17 a can on some lame retail site Christ
on a crutch, that's evil! But if it's going to be outside, that's
what I'd use. Sprayway 092 is rated for car headliners, so it will
handle the 140+ temps, too.

--
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to
succeed is more important than any one thing.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Just Wondering" wrote in message
On 6/25/2012 4:08 PM, Steve B wrote:
Do any of you use upholstery glue? I am building some boat seats.
Plywood
base, 4" foam sold at Home Depot, Sunbrella canvas. I would like some
spray
foam adhesive, but there is a lot out there, and Goddam expensive at
that,
too.

Suggestions appreciated.

Steve

Why worry about the cost of glue? I thought the very definition of a boat
was a hole in the water you pour money into.

Well, it IS $12 to $22 per can, a can being the size of a spraycan of paint

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message
Steve B wrote:
Do any of you use upholstery glue? I am building some boat seats.
Plywood base, 4" foam sold at Home Depot, Sunbrella canvas. I would
like some spray foam adhesive, but there is a lot out there, and
Goddam expensive at that, too.

Suggestions appreciated.

What do you want the adhesive for Steve? You don't need it for the foam,
but many do use it all the same. For the canvas, you don't want adhesive.
You want to staple that.

--

-Mike-

I had to put together some pieces of foam to get one cushion, because SWMBO
took a prime piece of real estate for one of HER projects. I thought I'd
glue them together so they might not look as bad as the space between
without glue. I had intended to wrap the cloth around the plywood, glue a
little, get it tacky, and pull and staple at the same time. Bad idea?

I could use the information. This is my first upholstery job. I bought an
old
Singer industrial 111W155 walking foot upholstery machine a while back, and
am finally getting around to some awning and canvas work, but the boat comes
first.

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

------------------------------------

"Steve B" wrote:

Well, it IS $12 to $22 per can, a can being the size of a spraycan
of paint

----------------------------
And?

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Steve B wrote:

I had to put together some pieces of foam to get one cushion, because
SWMBO took a prime piece of real estate for one of HER projects. I
thought I'd glue them together so they might not look as bad as the
space between without glue. I had intended to wrap the cloth around
the plywood, glue a little, get it tacky, and pull and staple at the
same time. Bad idea?

I've had to glue pieces together myself, and I use 3M 77 for that task.
Works just fine. I don't glue the fabric at all. I just start working it
around with the staples - paying attention to the amount of pull all the way
around. Watch the grain of the fabric and you'll know how much to pull.
Roll the edge under as you staple which will give you a stronger edge as
well as look better - more finished.

I could use the information. This is my first upholstery job. I
bought an old
Singer industrial 111W155 walking foot upholstery machine a while
back, and am finally getting around to some awning and canvas work,
but the boat comes first.

Damn - if I had known you were getting into canvas work I would not have
demolished that pop up camper and turned it into a trailer...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Steve B wrote:
[...]

the 155 is good old machine and as i said in my reply in a.r., I'd glue the
foam together and to the wood then staple the canvas to the wood. When
holding the staple gun, tilt it about 15 degrees or more to the left so the
staple doesn't drive flush(one leg standing proud). Fit and adjust the cover
until you like it, then staple flush while pulling the non flush staples

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote

Watch the grain of the fabric and you'll know how much to pull.
Roll the edge under as you staple which will give you a stronger edge as
well as look better - more finished.

This will all go on the underside, and be unseen, but I want to do it right,
and not have it pull out.

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
b.com...

"Steve B" wrote:

Well, it IS $12 to $22 per can, a can being the size of a spraycan of
paint

----------------------------
And?

Lew

"And that's all I have to say about that." -Forrest Gump-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Steve B wrote:
"Mike Marlow" wrote

Watch the grain of the fabric and you'll know how much to pull.
Roll the edge under as you staple which will give you a stronger
edge as well as look better - more finished.

This will all go on the underside, and be unseen, but I want to do it
right, and not have it pull out.

Yup - I figured that. The rolled edge will make it stronger where you
staple it. As for the look of it - well, that's more for your own
satisfaction than anything else, since no one else will ever see it.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/25/12 9:18 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
I've had to glue pieces together myself, and I use 3M 77 for that task.
Works just fine.

3M Super77 works great for just about everything including foam.
There is also spray adhesive from CRC (green can) at Harbor Freight that
works great, has a better spray nozzle than 3M, and is on sale often for
about 8 bucks.

I use a lot of foam to make road cases and spray adhesive is the best
stuff for the task.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Steve B" wrote:
"And that's all I have to say about that." -Forrest Gump-

-----------------------------------
When it comes time to do and LP job on that boat at about $200/gal,
you will know you're in the boat maintenance business.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

*I just start working it
around with the staples - paying attention to the amount of pull all the way
around. *Watch the grain of the fabric and you'll know how much to pull..
Roll the edge under as you staple which will give you a stronger edge as
well as look better - more finished.

Align the top & bottom centers of the fabric's edges with the centers
of the seat board. Attach at a few places left and right of each
center. You don't want to simply pull the fabric at each attaching
point, with (say) your thumb and forefinger, you want to pet it, with
your whole hand. You can "feel" the tension of the fabric over the
surface and "feel" that the tension is consistant along the edge(s).
You not only want to maintain good tension perpendicular to the edge,
but also along the edge, i.e, maintain good tension front to back of
the seat and right and left. Petting with your whole hand, rather
than pulling at individual points with your thumb & forefinger, makes
for the best smooth lay of the fabric, with good tension in all
directions. With a little practice, you will understand what I mean
by petting, this way, and you'll see the difference, in the lay of the
fabric, when the 2 techniques are compared to one another. Pulling at
individual points will often cause little bumps (uneven lay of the
fabric) along the edges.

Additionally:
There is/are specific foam(s) for boat seats and other outdoor use.
"Regular" upholstery foam, for indoor furniture, is not recommended
for outdoor use, boat seats, etc. Make sure you use the proper foam.
I suppose you know to use treated ply (or treated whatever-wood) for
the wood base. There are hard plastics, also, for seat bases, similar
to 4-wheeler seats, motorcycle seats, etc., that are available.

You don't want to glue your fabric to any padding. There are many
exceptions to this, these days, especially when it comes to
headliners, side panels, auto seats, etc., where a thin foam or other
thin padding is used and a stitching design is sewn onto the fabric
application. This sewn application, sewn designing, is infamous with
custom auto interiors and the like.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Steve B" wrote:
"And that's all I have to say about that." -Forrest Gump-

-----------------------------------
When it comes time to do and LP job on that boat at about $200/gal, you
will know you're in the boat maintenance business.

Lew

What in he world are you talking about? That sentence makes no sense.

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/26/2012 8:38 AM, Steve B wrote:
"Lew wrote in message
b.com...
"Steve B" wrote:
"And that's all I have to say about that." -Forrest Gump-

-----------------------------------
When it comes time to do and LP job on that boat at about $200/gal, you
will know you're in the boat maintenance business.

Lew

What in he world are you talking about? That sentence makes no sense.

Steve

I was trying to figger that one out myself. LP??? Is that Liquid
petroleum , or long playing? I've had a boat for 40 or so years and
have never spent any $200 a gallon on anything. Boat or not related.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to rec.woodworking

--------------------------------
"Steve B" wrote:

What in he world are you talking about? That sentence makes no
sense.

-----------------------------------
You are ****ing and moaning about the cost of a $20 spray can of
adhesive.

What are you going to do when you have to spend some serious money on
boat repair?

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Steve Barker" wrote:
I was trying to figger that one out myself. LP??? Is that Liquid
petroleum , or long playing? I've had a boat for 40 or so years and
have never spent any $200 a gallon on anything. Boat or not
related.

---------------------------------
Linear polyurethane.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Steve B" wrote:

What in he world are you talking about? That sentence makes no
sense.

-----------------------------------
You are ****ing and moaning about the cost of a $20 spray can of
adhesive.

What are you going to do when you have to spend some serious money on
boat repair?

Be underwater? : )

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Steve B" wrote:

What in he world are you talking about? That sentence makes no
sense.

-----------------------------------
You are ****ing and moaning about the cost of a $20 spray can of
adhesive.

What are you going to do when you have to spend some serious money on
boat repair?

Maybe sell the damned boat...

The time to worry about that is when it arrives.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Steve B" wrote:

What in he world are you talking about? That sentence makes no sense.

-----------------------------------
You are ****ing and moaning about the cost of a $20 spray can of adhesive.

What are you going to do when you have to spend some serious money on boat
repair?
Lew

In my class of boat, I just get another.

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote

What are you going to do when you have to spend some serious money on
boat repair?
Lew

I did recently. It cost me a whole $325 to get my rig overhauled. And now,
with the new upholstery job, a new dash, bench, and wood bow I made, and
some trailer work that cost me about $40 for parts, and my labor, I'm fully
invested. All in all, I got $2,500 in that boat!

And it's a dandy. A 16 footer with a 40 Merc, (carbs overhauled) troll
motor, depth gauge, cline finder, seats, live well, lights, horn, trailer,
new steering assembly ($180, sorry I forgot that), as well as a new
stainless steel panel for the switches and fuses, some new cleats, new
wiring, ............

life is good.

I am easily satisfied. I am a crappie god at the local lake, and fish fear
me.

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 26, 7:55*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
"Lew Hodgett" wrote
What are you going to do when you have to spend some serious money on
boat repair?
Lew

I did recently. *It cost me a whole $325 to get my rig overhauled. *And now,
with the new upholstery job, a new dash, bench, and wood bow I made, and
some trailer work that cost me about $40 for parts, and my labor, I'm fully
invested. *All in all, I got $2,500 in that boat!

And it's a dandy. *A 16 footer with a 40 Merc, (carbs overhauled) troll
motor, depth gauge, cline finder, seats, live well, lights, horn, trailer,
new steering assembly ($180, sorry I forgot that), as well as a new
stainless steel panel for the switches and fuses, some new cleats, new
wiring, ............

Do you have a plug for the drain hole?

LOL. Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Steve B" wrote:

What in he world are you talking about? That sentence makes no
sense.

-----------------------------------
You are ****ing and moaning about the cost of a $20 spray can of
adhesive.

What are you going to do when you have to spend some serious money on
boat repair?

Be underwater? : )

Lew

"oh I hope not"

Jose Jimenez
Posted to rec.woodworking

Steve B wrote:
"Lew Hodgett" wrote

[...]

You better get some monofilament thread or some polyester, otherwise
your seats will come apart in about a year or two with nylon thread

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Steve B" wrote in
:

*snip*

I am easily satisfied. I am a crappie god at the local lake, and fish
fear me.

Steve

....and that's why I haven't caught anything.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

Another glue question Mike P UK diy 2 December 11th 07 11:32 AM
Glue question... [email protected] Woodworking 15 December 11th 06 09:55 PM
another glue question! Andy Smith UK diy 1 July 31st 06 03:04 PM
glue question [email protected] Woodworking 6 May 6th 06 12:01 AM
Glue Up Question Bill Waller Woodworking 21 February 3rd 06 08:37 PM