Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Restoring an antique piano?

Has anybody here ever attempted such a feat? My mother- and father-in-law had
an antique Ellington upright that needs help from both a woodworking and a
functional perspective, and it's now fallen to my brother-in-law to decide what
to do with the thing. I've read that restoring an antique piano can definitely
be worth the investment, and Ellington is a decent brand that can fetch a
decent price if properly restored. I could handle the woodworking portion of
the restoration, and possibly some of the internal rebuild, but he thinks it
needs to be re-strung, which evidently can cost $1000, and he is inclined to
scrap it. He's tried advertising it locally, but nobody seems to want the
thing. I'm intrigued by the idea of restoring it, but I don't want to get WAY
in over my head either. If he scraps it he'll try to sell the brass soundboard
for scrap metal, and I can keep whatever wood parts are in it, which I'm not
sure is worth the trouble. Thoughts?

To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/

Restoring Antique Leather Chairs Student[_2_] Woodworking 31 September 17th 10 06:22 AM
Getting rid of a piano. endymion UK diy 142 August 27th 08 10:58 PM
refinish piano thanks Lee Woodworking 0 July 28th 06 02:21 PM
Antique (Maybe) Piano Stool TrailRat Woodworking 3 June 7th 05 11:08 PM
Old Piano. wanderer UK diy 42 August 24th 04 10:38 PM