Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Sanding "white paper"

Has anyone heard of or read any sort of research paper on how to sand efficiently and effectively? For example, say you have a maple board that has come straight from the planer, with no chip-out. At what grit should you start sanding? For how long? With what type of sander? I'm just curious if anyone has taken a stopwatch and a magnification lense around a shop and really gotten into the details of how long to run your Dynabrade over a board before switching grits. Thanks.
Posted to rec.woodworking

JayPique wrote:
Has anyone heard of or read any sort of research paper on how to sand
efficiently and effectively? For example, say you have a maple board
that has come straight from the planer, with no chip-out. At what
grit should you start sanding? For how long? With what type of
sander? I'm just curious if anyone has taken a stopwatch and a
magnification lense around a shop and really gotten into the details
of how long to run your Dynabrade over a board before switching
grits. Thanks.

The board may have no chip out but it does have tool marks.

I don't have a planer but I do have a drum sander. If I am going to finish
something bright, the last grit I use on it the drum is 120. I then start
with 120 on a hand sander and sand until all the striations from the drum -
easily seen in oblique light - are gone. Once gone, I move up to final
grits. How long with each grit? It seems to be about twice as long as I
think it should be.

I know thet ROS sanders are popular - and I use one sometimes - but for the
best job I still prefer my 1/2 sheet Porter Cable sander...it seems to have
an ideal combination of weight and pad softness.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/4/2012 5:10 AM, JayPique wrote:
Has anyone heard of or read any sort of research paper on how to sand efficiently and effectively? For example, say you have a maple board that has come straight from the planer, with no chip-out. At what grit should you start sanding? For how long? With what type of sander? I'm just curious if anyone has taken a stopwatch and a magnification lense around a shop and really gotten into the details of how long to run your Dynabrade over a board before switching grits. Thanks.

Right out of the planer I start with 120~150 on a ROS/Festool Rotex. I
move to 150~180 and quit with 180 using my finish sander.

Blow off surface between grits.

Sanding speed about 1 second per linear inch.

Change paper when you see any drop in performance.
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 6/4/2012 5:10 AM, JayPique wrote:
Has anyone heard of or read any sort of research paper on how to
sand efficiently and effectively? ...

Not aware of specific articles in research pub's but I'm sure it's been
evaluated for the large manufacturers. Try a search on the US Forest
Products Laboratories site for starters if really looking for that kind
of work.

FWW had an article just last issue (preceding the current one of the
Powermatic ad fame ) by a long-time professional finisher (Teri
Masaschi) on sanding technique you might find useful. It was
technique-oriented but covered her choice of grit sequence as well...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"JayPique" wrote in message
Has anyone heard of or read any sort of research paper on how to sand
efficiently and effectively? For example, say you have a maple board that
has come straight from the planer, with no chip-out. At what grit should
you start sanding? For how long? With what type of sander? I'm just
curious if anyone has taken a stopwatch and a magnification lense around a
shop and really gotten into the details of how long to run your Dynabrade
over a board before switching grits. Thanks.

I think "The Wood Sanding Book" by Sandor Nagyszalanczy does a very good job
of covering sanding... from abrasives to machines to methods. The closest
things I've seen on a white paper on sanding... It's published by Taunton.

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

"JayPique" wrote:

Has anyone heard of or read any sort of research paper on how to
sand efficiently and effectively?

snip
----------------------------------
If you are hand sanding, it can be pretty straight forward.

Start with 100 grit and sand in line along the +45 degree bias.

When all grit marks are +45, switch to 150 grit and sand along the -45
degree bias.

When all grit marks are -45, switch to 220 grit and sand along the +45
degree bias.

Continue alternating directions and increasing grit until you are
satisfied.

I stop at 400 grit.

The above removes the minimum amount of material to achieve desired
results.

Have fun.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Sanding "white paper" - Update

"JayPique" wrote:

Has anyone heard of or read any sort of research paper on how to
sand efficiently and effectively?

snip
----------------------------------

"Lew Hodgett"
If you are hand sanding, it can be pretty straight forward.

Start with 100 grit and sand in line along the +45 degree bias.

When all grit marks are +45, switch to 150 grit and sand along
the -45 degree bias.

When all grit marks are -45, switch to 220 grit and sand along the
+45 degree bias.

Continue alternating directions and increasing grit until you are
satisfied.

I stop at 400 grit.

The above removes the minimum amount of material to achieve desired
results.

This will also work with inline power sanders.

ROS, not so much.

Have fun.

Lew