Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Powermatic mystery?

Does anyone know what "new" or BIG thing Powermatic is going to unveil
in 7 Days 19 hours 31 minutes and several seconds ago? (Your time may
vary depending upon when you read this.)

Marc
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/31/12 3:30 PM, marc rosen wrote:
Does anyone know what "new" or BIG thing Powermatic is going to unveil
in 7 Days 19 hours 31 minutes and several seconds ago? (Your time may
vary depending upon when you read this.)

Painting their tools green to compete with Festool. :-)

--
Froz...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 31, 2:53*pm, FrozenNorth
wrote:
On 5/31/12 3:30 PM, marc rosen wrote: Does anyone know what "new" or BIG thing Powermatic is going to unveil
in 7 Days 19 hours 31 minutes and several seconds ago? *(Your time may
vary depending upon when you read this.)

Painting their tools green to compete with Festool. *:-)

Or Grizzly )

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 5/31/2012 2:53 PM, FrozenNorth wrote:
On 5/31/12 3:30 PM, marc rosen wrote:
Does anyone know what "new" or BIG thing Powermatic is going to unveil
in 7 Days 19 hours 31 minutes and several seconds ago? (Your time may
vary depending upon when you read this.)

Painting their tools green to compete with Festool. :-)

Beat them to it years and years ago...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"dpb" wrote in message ...
On 5/31/2012 2:53 PM, FrozenNorth wrote:
On 5/31/12 3:30 PM, marc rosen wrote:
Does anyone know what "new" or BIG thing Powermatic is going to unveil
in 7 Days 19 hours 31 minutes and several seconds ago? (Your time may
vary depending upon when you read this.)

Painting their tools green to compete with Festool. :-)

Beat them to it years and years ago...

Yeah... seems to me early Powermatics I've seen were green....

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

"dpb" wrote in message
On 5/31/2012 2:53 PM, FrozenNorth wrote:
On 5/31/12 3:30 PM, marc rosen wrote:
Does anyone know what "new" or BIG thing Powermatic is going to unveil
in 7 Days 19 hours 31 minutes and several seconds ago? (Your time may
vary depending upon when you read this.)

Painting their tools green to compete with Festool. :-)

Beat them to it years and years ago...

Yeah... seems to me early Powermatics I've seen were green....

Festool - 1925
Powermatic - 1928

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, May 31, 2012 1:53:56 PM UTC-7, John Grossbohlin wrote:
"dpb" wrote in message ....
On 5/31/2012 2:53 PM, FrozenNorth wrote:
On 5/31/12 3:30 PM, marc rosen wrote:
Does anyone know what "new" or BIG thing Powermatic is going to unveil
in 7 Days 19 hours 31 minutes and several seconds ago? (Your time may
vary depending upon when you read this.)

Painting their tools green to compete with Festool. :-)

Beat them to it years and years ago...

Yeah... seems to me early Powermatics I've seen were green....

John

Yup, I still have a green shaper. Sold my green TS and replaced it with a black "Hot Dog" saw. I thought it was funny when a guy who rents space in my shop called my SawStop a "hot dog" saw. I guess thhose hot dog demos have done their branding for the company.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/31/2012 4:12 PM, Swingman wrote:

"dpb" wrote in message
On 5/31/2012 2:53 PM, FrozenNorth wrote:
On 5/31/12 3:30 PM, marc rosen wrote:
Does anyone know what "new" or BIG thing Powermatic is going to unveil
in 7 Days 19 hours 31 minutes and several seconds ago? (Your time may
vary depending upon when you read this.)

Painting their tools green to compete with Festool. :-)

Beat them to it years and years ago...

Yeah... seems to me early Powermatics I've seen were green....

Festool - 1925
Powermatic - 1928

I regretfully bring this information to you, I checked it before you
posted too ;~0

Powermatic is celebrating 90 years, since 1921.

http://www.powermatic.com/About.aspx?nav=about
Posted to rec.woodworking

"dpb" wrote in message
On 5/31/2012 2:53 PM, FrozenNorth wrote:
On 5/31/12 3:30 PM, marc rosen wrote:
Does anyone know what "new" or BIG thing Powermatic is going to
unveil
in 7 Days 19 hours 31 minutes and several seconds ago? (Your time may
vary depending upon when you read this.)

Painting their tools green to compete with Festool. :-)

Beat them to it years and years ago...

Yeah... seems to me early Powermatics I've seen were green....

Festool - 1925
Powermatic - 1928

I regretfully bring this information to you, I checked it before you
posted too ;~0

Powermatic is celebrating 90 years, since 1921.

http://www.powermatic.com/About.aspx?nav=about

Read the rest of it ... there was no Powermatic company, or factory,
before 1928.

The rest is marketing hype ...

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

Posted to rec.woodworking

"dpb" wrote in message
[...]

Oh yeah? Well ... ;~)

Not sure where the 1925 comes in except in the heading/history link but
the information seems to point at Festool actually introducing a tool in
1929. And IIRC Festool originally operated under a similar name, Festo
IIRC.

Either way Festool is still owned by one of the founding families.

We can discuss further during our next FIG meeting. LOL
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/1/2012 7:27 AM, Leon wrote:

Not sure where the 1925 comes in except in the heading/history link but
the information seems to point at Festool actually introducing a tool in
1929. And IIRC Festool originally operated under a similar name, Festo
IIRC.

Festo, originally a wood cutting tool company, was founded in 1925 and
was the parent company until 2000 ... obviously the adding of "ol"
making "Festool" was too just clever for the Germans, due to it's
Anglicized twist and therefore a more global marketing cachet, to resist.

Thank gawd "Yves Laurent" wasn't available! LOL

BTW, the German word for tool being "werkzeug", it's no damned wonder.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

"dpb" wrote in message
On 5/31/2012 2:53 PM, FrozenNorth wrote:
On 5/31/12 3:30 PM, marc rosen wrote:
Does anyone know what "new" or BIG thing Powermatic is going to unveil
in 7 Days 19 hours 31 minutes and several seconds ago? (Your time may
vary depending upon when you read this.)

Painting their tools green to compete with Festool. :-)

Beat them to it years and years ago...

Yeah... seems to me early Powermatics I've seen were green....

Festool - 1925
Powermatic - 1928

I regretfully bring this information to you, I checked it before you
posted too ;~0

Powermatic is celebrating 90 years, since 1921.

http://www.powermatic.com/About.aspx?nav=about- Hide quoted text -

Hi Leon,
I thought they "celebrated" 90 years by painting everything black,( or
onyx). Or is your comment regarding to the dates in Swing's message?

Marc
Posted to rec.woodworking

"dpb" wrote in message
[...]

I read somewhere that celebrating 90 with 3 30 year olds is interesting....
color not important...

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
[...]

I'm just pointing to web sites where Powermatic is gold, Not sure where
the special black series comes on.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/1/2012 8:09 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 6/1/2012 7:27 AM, Leon wrote:

Not sure where the 1925 comes in except in the heading/history link but
the information seems to point at Festool actually introducing a tool in
1929. And IIRC Festool originally operated under a similar name, Festo
IIRC.

Festo, originally a wood cutting tool company, was founded in 1925 and
was the parent company until 2000 ... obviously the adding of "ol"
making "Festool" was too just clever for the Germans, due to it's
Anglicized twist and therefore a more global marketing cachet, to resist.

Thank gawd "Yves Laurent" wasn't available! LOL

BTW, the German word for tool being "werkzeug", it's no damned wonder.

So in German,..... Festowerkzeug. Schnell!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/1/2012 7:27 AM, Leon wrote:

... obviously the adding of "ol"
making "Festool" was too just clever for the Germans, due to it's
Anglicized twist and therefore a more global marketing cachet, to resist.

Thank gawd "Yves Laurent" wasn't available! LOL

BTW, the German word for tool being "werkzeug", it's no damned wonder.

So in German,..... Festowerkzeug. Schnell!

That was apparently another reason ... the infamous FEStool (Fast
Efficient Safe) slogan only works in English:

Schnell Effizient Sicher doesn't quite cut it.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

I regretfully bring this information to you, I checked it before you
posted too ;~0

Powermatic is celebrating 90 years, since 1921.

http://www.powermatic.com/About.aspx?nav=about

Interesting.
I'm surprised they would would jeopardize their reputation
by such truth-streching.

The likes of Stanley Porter-Cable might be able to have fun with that.
How about a T-shirt with the "90-year insignia" crossed-out (and ???)...
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 6/1/2012 5:45 PM, Bill wrote:

I'm surprised they would would jeopardize their reputation
by such truth-streching.

Don't bother me none...he founded the business and began in '21 it
appears; only a name change a few years later instead of (apparently)
doing business in his own name or under the lumber business prior to that.

Picky beyond words imo...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"dpb" wrote in message
[...]

I'd be more than satisfied with 2 45 year olds... (Sure wish I was 45 again!)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/1/2012 5:45 PM, Bill wrote:
Leon wrote:

I regretfully bring this information to you, I checked it before you
posted too ;~0

Powermatic is celebrating 90 years, since 1921.

http://www.powermatic.com/About.aspx?nav=about

Interesting.
I'm surprised they would would jeopardize their reputation
by such truth-streching.

They are not the same company, Powermatic is owned by the same company
that owns Jet.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/1/2012 6:20 PM, dpb wrote:
On 6/1/2012 5:45 PM, Bill wrote:

I'm surprised they would would jeopardize their reputation
by such truth-streching.

Don't bother me none...he founded the business and began in '21 it
appears; only a name change a few years later instead of (apparently)
doing business in his own name or under the lumber business prior to that.

Picky beyond words imo...

Actually, what the article clearly states regarding 1921 is that he "was
a seller of timber and rough-cut lumber" ... _nowhere_ does it state
that he built any machines in 1921.

How clever these marketeers. After all, marketing works best on the
gullible, and what's a little "truth stretching" among friends, eh?

It's why a gullible public continues to fall for, and buy products like
hamburgers, that bear no resemblance whatsoever to the pictures and
gimmicks that advertise them.

FACT: "Powermatic" was founded in 1928 ... its "90th Anniversary" as
Powermatic will not be until 2018.

You do the math. End of story ...

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 6/2/2012 8:43 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 6/1/2012 6:20 PM, dpb wrote:

Picky beyond words imo...

Actually, what the article clearly states regarding 1921 is that he "was
a seller of timber and rough-cut lumber" ... _nowhere_ does it state
that he built any machines in 1921.

Well, it doesn't say he didn't, either...

It explains that he realized/believed he could improve the bottom line
of the lumber business by selling dressed lumber so "Instead of
purchasing a planing machine from an existing manufacturer, he decided
to build his own in his workshop...".

I read that that is the year he did it.

Whether the company was named Powermatic or not, it was the predecessor
and the bloodline of the machines.

I'm happy enough if that's the point Powermatic wants to use it's fine
w/ me.

Any number of businesses began in precisely such a manner--McCormick,
Deere, Disston, ...

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 6/2/2012 11:25 AM, dpb wrote:
On 6/2/2012 8:43 AM, Swingman wrote:

Actually, what the article clearly states regarding 1921 is that he "was
a seller of timber and rough-cut lumber" ... _nowhere_ does it state
that he built any machines in 1921.

And I'd be quite comfortable that he had been in the lumber business for
some time well before that.

I read that that is the year he did it.

Otherwise, why mention 1921 as having anything whatever to do w/ anything?

Leonard F. Smith was a McMinnville lumber dealer who made and sold
five planers in 1921. He started using the Powermatic name in
1928, according to the trademark filing.

http://vintagemachinery.org/mfgindex/detail.aspx?id=655

There's a point at which cynicism just loses any meaning in
automagically asserting the worst possible interpretation any bending of
statement can have...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/2/2012 1:07 PM, dpb wrote:
On 6/2/2012 11:25 AM, dpb wrote:
On 6/2/2012 8:43 AM, Swingman wrote:

Actually, what the article clearly states regarding 1921 is that he "was
a seller of timber and rough-cut lumber" ... _nowhere_ does it state
that he built any machines in 1921.

And I'd be quite comfortable that he had been in the lumber business for
some time well before that.

I read that that is the year he did it.

Otherwise, why mention 1921 as having anything whatever to do w/ anything?

Leonard F. Smith was a McMinnville lumber dealer who made and sold
five planers in 1921. He started using the Powermatic name in
1928, according to the trademark filing.

http://vintagemachinery.org/mfgindex/detail.aspx?id=655

There's a point at which cynicism just loses any meaning in
automagically asserting the worst possible interpretation any bending of
statement can have...

You're kidding, right?

Are you positive that a poster on a website forum, a self appointed
"historian" at that, is a credible source and is not just as gullible
and mistaken as you could be, and is not using the exact same source as you?

You will have to do better than that ...

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 6/2/2012 1:44 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 6/2/2012 1:07 PM, dpb wrote:
On 6/2/2012 11:25 AM, dpb wrote:
[...]

Positive enough, yes.

You will have to do better than that ...

No, I will (and shall) not.

Take it up w/ Powermatic and OWWM and anybody else you disagree with if
you're so certain they're in error; not me.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/2/2012 1:07 PM, dpb wrote:
On 6/2/2012 11:25 AM, dpb wrote:
[...]

Come now, it is you who has been adding into the original article, that
was posted as a cite, assumptions that are clearly, and unarguably, not
stated therein.

If you are so confident in them you should at least owe it to your own
assumptions to do better than the above.

It's simple ... this is a discussion forum, and if you can't live with
apparent inconsistencies in your assumptions being pointed out and
discussed, don't post them in the first place.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 6/2/2012 5:40 PM, Swingman wrote:

Come now, it is you who has been adding into the original article, that
was posted as a cite, assumptions that are clearly, and unarguably, not
stated therein.

I added nothing other than the assertion that I don't disagree w/ their
assessment of the company beginnings and reading the logical conclusion
that was written rather than twisting it to make something of it that is
negative that wasn't intended.

Consequently, you're the one who inferred the beginnings of the company
should not be dated to 1921 as the article says; not I.

If you don't agree w/ their assessment, it's not me you have an argument
with but them.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 02 Jun 2012 13:44:44 -0500, Swingman wrote:

On 6/2/2012 1:07 PM, dpb wrote:
On 6/2/2012 11:25 AM, dpb wrote:
[...]

giggle C'mon, guys. This horse has been dead for days now.

--
Shake off all the fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds
are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on her
Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 31, 2:53*pm, FrozenNorth
wrote:

Painting their tools green to compete with Festool. *:-)

Who knows? Maybe it will be a paint job. About two years ago, during
the depth of the (first) recession, Grizzly introduced a line of power
tools called Polar Bear. When introduced they appeared to be pretty
much the same stuff as some of their other tools, but white with
special markings. I spoke to a sales rep in Springfield when I bought
my Polar Bear 15" surface planer and he told me they were, in fact,
nearly identical. However my planer did have a nicer switch mast to
go with the paint; and it was on sale at about $200 off the price of
its green cousin. The rep said without shame it was a marketing
scheme to combine paint with a few changed features and a sale price
to stimulate sales. He also said it worked very well for them.

RonB

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/2/2012 6:05 PM, dpb wrote:
On 6/2/2012 5:40 PM, Swingman wrote:

Come now, it is you who has been adding into the original article, that
was posted as a cite, assumptions that are clearly, and unarguably, not
stated therein.

I added nothing other than the assertion that I don't disagree w/ their
assessment of the company beginnings and reading the logical conclusion
that was written rather than twisting it to make something of it that is
negative that wasn't intended.

Nothing logical about your assumptions. They are assumptions on your
part that you have put forth, not stated anywhere in the article.

You are reading in what you would like to believe, NOT what is written.

Consequently, you're the one who inferred the beginnings of the company
should not be dated to 1921 as the article says; not I.

I have done nothing but state EXACTLY what is stated in the article, NOT
making assumptions, as you a

~ The ONLY thing stated in the article about the date 1921 is that he
was in the lumber and timber business.

~ The date of the founding of "Powermatic" is clearly stated as 1928.

Everything else is a figment of your imagination.

Live with it ...

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 6/3/2012 9:14 AM, Swingman wrote:

~ The date of the founding of "Powermatic" is clearly stated as 1928.

Everything else is a figment of your imagination.

It's also Powermatic's imagination, then.

Complain to them, not me.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/3/2012 9:17 AM, dpb wrote:
On 6/3/2012 9:14 AM, Swingman wrote:

~ The date of the founding of "Powermatic" is clearly stated as 1928.

Everything else is a figment of your imagination.

It's also Powermatic's imagination, then.

Now we're getting somewhere ... precisely my point all along.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 6/3/2012 9:19 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 6/3/2012 9:17 AM, dpb wrote:
On 6/3/2012 9:14 AM, Swingman wrote:

~ The date of the founding of "Powermatic" is clearly stated as 1928.

Everything else is a figment of your imagination.

It's also Powermatic's imagination, then.

Now we're getting somewhere ... precisely my point all along.

How's that? You claim there's something wrong; I'm quite happy (in fact
I like attribution to the founder's vision) to have the roots attributed
to the actual beginnings of the products instead of some artificial
business name.

As I say, if you think the exposition isn't accurate or is misleading,
ask them to clarify it and see where you get with that in discrediting
the information as written.

Otherwise, go away...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/3/2012 9:17 AM, dpb wrote:
On 6/3/2012 9:14 AM, Swingman wrote:

~ The date of the founding of "Powermatic" is clearly stated as 1928.

Everything else is a figment of your imagination.

It's also Powermatic's imagination, then.

Now we're getting somewhere ... precisely my point all along.

How's that? You claim there's something wrong snip

Yes, _you_ ... but we already decided that above.

Otherwise, go away...

If _you_ can't stand the heat, Bubba ...

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/2/2012 7:37 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

giggle C'mon, guys. This horse has been dead for days now.

Huh, huh ... the article being discussed was being used as proof that
the following was wrong ... it very clearly does NO such thing ...
instead being a perfect example of a vaguely written, company propaganda
somehow becoming fact in folk's minds:

On 5/31/2012 4:12 PM, Swingman wrote:

Festool - 1925
Powermatic - 1928

Some of us will continue to cuss, fuss and discuss things woodworking,
from the finer points of making zero clearance inserts, to pointing out
inconsistencies in a tool company's advertising and logo; if anyone has
a problem with that in any manner, they should either hit the next key,
or decline to comment on the subject.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 03 Jun 2012 10:20:01 -0500, Swingman wrote:

On 6/2/2012 7:37 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

giggle C'mon, guys. This horse has been dead for days now.

Huh, huh ... the article being discussed was being used as proof that
the following was wrong ... it very clearly does NO such thing ...
instead being a perfect example of a vaguely written, company propaganda
somehow becoming fact in folk's minds:

Youse guys have had a dozen (or more) posts batted back and forth on
the propaganda issue for days now.

On 5/31/2012 4:12 PM, Swingman wrote:

Festool - 1925
Powermatic - 1928

Some of us will continue to cuss, fuss and discuss things woodworking,
from the finer points of making zero clearance inserts, to pointing out
inconsistencies in a tool company's advertising and logo; if anyone has
a problem with that in any manner, they should either hit the next key,
or decline to comment on the subject.

Pointing out the obvious, eh?

Just sayin...

--
Shake off all the fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds
are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on her
tribunal for every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the
existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of
the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear.
-- Thomas Jefferson
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/3/2012 12:16 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Some of us will continue to cuss, fuss and discuss things woodworking,
from the finer points of making zero clearance inserts, to pointing out
inconsistencies in a tool company's advertising and logo; if anyone has
a problem with that in any manner, they should either hit the next key,
or decline to comment on the subject.

Pointing out the obvious, eh?

Just sayin...

Obviously not to everyone ...

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 03 Jun 2012 10:20:01 -0500, wrote:

[...]

You have an uncanny proficiency of pointing out the obvious.

Just sayin....
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 6/3/2012 9:48 AM, Swingman wrote:

If _you_ can't stand the heat, Bubba ...

_I'M_ comfy...

A Powermatic Shop worth seeing even if you don't like Powermatic Bill[_37_] Woodworking 49 May 1st 12 11:30 PM
powermatic basilisk[_2_] Woodworking 2 December 30th 10 12:06 AM
Powermatic Vs Jet Woodworking 2 April 3rd 06 01:24 PM
FS: Powermatic 64A D Steck Woodworking 1 November 14th 05 11:26 PM
powermatic 45 edward h matson Woodturning 0 August 29th 04 05:13 AM