Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Deck Stain Problem

This probably seems like more of a home-repair problem, but I know the
finish experts are he

While building our new home ourselves, it looks like we made an error
in selecting deck stain. In spite of good success with Olympic
several years earlier, we let ourselves be convinced that Sherwin
Williams semi-transparent was a great stain. Price was comparable to
Olympic Premium.

We built the deck two years ago this coming June. after construction
we let it set through about three months of hot Kansas summer to dry
it out. Then I gave it a light pressure wash, let it set for a few
days and applied two coats of the Sherwin Williams product.

Mistake. After barely 15 months the traffic areas started showing
wear all the way to wood in places (There are only two of us). Now,
after about 20 months the finish is starting to crack and come off of
rails and other areas not subject to wear. Obviously I have a pretty
good job ahead with removing and/or repairing the first job. Does
anyone have suggestions regarding getting the original finish to re-
stainable surface or am I looking at a strip and start over job?

RonB
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/19/2012 3:34 PM, RonB wrote:
[...]

FWIW, our new home has stained front porch posts, about 12" square.
Dark brown Sherwin Williams Stain, Semitransparent on cedar. I had to
re-stain 14 months later. I restained against my better judgement with
semitransparent Behr stain. 3 months later it still looks good but I
highly suspect I will be restraining yearly.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 19, 5:25*pm, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:
On 5/19/2012 3:34 PM, RonB wrote:

[...]

That is why I am a little irritated with myself. We put Olympic
Premium standard (not semi-transparent) stain on a new fence project
and an existing deck, at the same time, at a previous home. That was
about 7 years ago. We get back to the neighborhood now and then and,
while showing some wear, it looks pretty good. The Sherwin Williams
product is junk. We have had excellent experience with their internal
house paint but this stuff is a disappointment

Ron
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/19/2012 3:34 PM, RonB wrote:

[...]

Like any thing else, a particular brand good or not does into insure
good product through out its product line.